E-Mailing Dymanic IP

Post by Brent P. Marti » Sun, 19 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Is there any way you can get your Linux box to E-Mail you your IP address
everytime it make a connection?

Thanks,
Brent M.

E-Mailing Dymanic IP

Post by DanH » Sun, 19 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> Is there any way you can get your Linux box to E-Mail you your IP address
> everytime it make a connection?

Just have it e-mail you.  The ip address is part of the header.

Shell script looking for the ppp connection would do just fine.

Dan
--
UNIX - Not just for vestal *s anymore
Linux - Choice of a GNU generation

E-Mailing Dymanic IP

Post by K.J.L » Mon, 20 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Not too informative.
Check out the Dynamic-IP-Hack-HOWTO, it'll tell you _exactly_ what to do to
your scripts to have your box e-mail you it's address and re-dial when it
looses it's connection.

> > Is there any way you can get your Linux box to E-Mail you your IP
address
> > everytime it make a connection?

> Just have it e-mail you.  The ip address is part of the header.

> Shell script looking for the ppp connection would do just fine.

> Dan
> --
> UNIX - Not just for vestal *s anymore
> Linux - Choice of a GNU generation

My department is considering setting up a e-mailing list for faculty,
staff and graduate students, and we are looking at alternative ways of
doing that. There are less than 100 people total that would be on the
list. The list is intended to be used for distributing information and
exchanging ideas that are relevant to the department.

The question, as the subject line indicates, is whether we can create such
a e-mailing list by setting up an account for a "user" whose .forward file
contains the list of the relevant e-mail addresses.

The first issue here is whether this will work at all: I talked to our
unix system administrator and he said .forward is not DESIGNED to contain
a whole bunch of addresses, rather the original purpose of this file is
just to contain the single one forwarding address for the user. Therefore
he wasn't sure whether forwarding will be correctly performed or performed
at all if the file contains, say, 100 e-mail addresses.

We did try with a few addresses in the file (about 4) and it worked fine.
But we don't know what would happen if the number of addresses in it is
large. ***Is there any technical, or theorectical reason that might cause
the failure of proper forwarding if .forward contains lots of addresses?***

You might wonder why I am considering setting up the list this way at all,
and not just use listserv. The main reason is that I believe (correct me
if I am wrong) this would be the simplist way to have a functioning
e-mailing list, and it should be easiest to maintain: the only work
involved would be adding or deleting e-mail addresses, which amounts to
editng the .forward file. In an academic department, personnel changes
aren't that frequent, so there shouldn't be much editing to do.

I understand that Listserv has many functions that can tailor the
properties of a e-mail list to make it useful for all kinds of purposes.
But given the simple purpose of the departmental list and the lack of
security concern and such, I feel much of Listserv's functions won't be
useful. All we need is a special address to which we can send messages
knowing that the message will be forwarded to the whole department.

I'd appreciate any suggestions /opinions on this. Do you think setting up
a user account and making use of the .forward file a feasible alternative
to a Listserv account? Why or why not?

Thanks in advance. ***Please e-mail me directly if possible.***

Langche Zeng

2. tip equivalent for Irix

3. ftp freezes! e-mailing attachments...

4. AF_UNSPEC and connected UDP.

5. Tool for UNIX for automated and scheduled e-mailing.

6. donmck@myhost 'Thank you'

7. E-mailing an executable file

8. A1000 Solaris 8 and ufs logging

9. E-mailing all users of a Linux System

10. cron: stop e-mailing me Webalizer reports!

11. Q: Mass E-mailing

12. Apache 1.3.9 Virtual Server help - dymanic IP

13. Dymanic ip assignment or at least a good fake