Networking w/ notebook

Post by myBi » Mon, 09 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm running RedHat 6.0 on a laptop and would like to have the flexibility
of plugging into different ethernet ports (using different IP address, of
course).  Now, when I configured the laptop, I configured it using a
static IP address (it wouldn't accept the bootp, etc options), and I'm not
able to re-configure it to work off of another IP address.

I've tried using the Control Panel->Networking applet to re-configure the
system to another IP address, gateway, etc.  I've also modified, manually,
/etc/hosts ; /etc/sysconfig/network ; and
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 with a reboot.  When I try
re-configuring the files, at rebooting gets stuck on the initiation of
sendmail (until I pop out the ethernet PCMCIA card and hit <ctrl>-c).

Any suggestions on how I can configure the machine "dynamically"?  Thanks
much!

                                                -Yiing Lin

Networking w/ notebook

Post by Juergen Pabe » Mon, 09 Aug 1999 04:00:00

check out the dhcp protocoll, this requires a dhcp server running on
your networks though but this is quite easy to setup in linux...

check the faq's

jp

> Hello,

> I'm running RedHat 6.0 on a laptop and would like to have the flexibility
> of plugging into different ethernet ports (using different IP address, of
> course).  Now, when I configured the laptop, I configured it using a
> static IP address (it wouldn't accept the bootp, etc options), and I'm not
> able to re-configure it to work off of another IP address.

> I've tried using the Control Panel->Networking applet to re-configure the
> system to another IP address, gateway, etc.  I've also modified, manually,
> /etc/hosts ; /etc/sysconfig/network ; and
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 with a reboot.  When I try
> re-configuring the files, at rebooting gets stuck on the initiation of
> sendmail (until I pop out the ethernet PCMCIA card and hit <ctrl>-c).

> Any suggestions on how I can configure the machine "dynamically"?  Thanks
> much!

>                                                 -Yiing Lin

1. networking a notebook to different networks

Hello,

I have a notebook running Linux. The notebook is part time connected
to our network at the university via a ethernet card. When I am using my
notebook at
home I want to connect the notebook to my desktop PC running Linux.
Unfortuately I can not use a ethernet connection. But I hope I can use
a serial port (and SLIP or PPP ?). I want to ftp and telnet from  the
notebook to
the desktop PC and vice versa.

How can this be done ?

Regards,

Markus

2. tar question, a quick one!

3. Notebook HP OB XE3: Problems with network (Accton EN2242)

4. PCMCIA modem problem, please help

5. Suse 8.2 and wireless pcmcia notebook networking

6. Problem with Real memory and swap file

7. notebook in 2 networks

8. HP Colorado dies when Linux boots?

9. PCMCIA Network (RTL8139) on old notebook

10. Debian installation: configure PCMCIA/network on notebook

11. Installing RH 6.1 on Compaq Presario 1825 notebook... problem with network card...

12. HOWTO: Toshiba notebook + PCMCIA network + audio

13. Network Probs with Compaq Notebook