No response from ping

Post by Andrew Chal » Sat, 12 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I am using TurboLinux v6.0. When I run network diagnostics it always returns
the default gateway as unreachable. This same machine can also be booted to
Win98 with the same IP address and default gateway information. That
networks fine. The default gateway and DNS host is NT.

Does anyone have any idea why Linux cannot reach the default gateway?

My NIC is a 3COM Ethercard 3C509B. The utility "turbonetcfg" shows it as an:

"acenic     (acenic"

Has Linux incorrectly inferred my network card during the install procedure?

Many thanks.

--
To reply via e-mail remove NOSPAM from the reply address

No response from ping

Post by Ziv Tzviel » Sat, 12 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> I am using TurboLinux v6.0. When I run network diagnostics it always returns
> the default gateway as unreachable. This same machine can also be booted to
> Win98 with the same IP address and default gateway information. That
> networks fine. The default gateway and DNS host is NT.

> Does anyone have any idea why Linux cannot reach the default gateway?

> My NIC is a 3COM Ethercard 3C509B. The utility "turbonetcfg" shows it as an:

> "acenic     (acenic"

> Has Linux incorrectly inferred my network card during the install procedure?

> Many thanks.

In a word, bingo!
Thats just one of the several reasons I don't like Turbolinux.

What you need to do is edit your /etc/modules.conf (or conf.modules)
file
to say "alias eth0 3c59x".  The acenic module supports (on my computer
anyway)
a Netgear gigabit card.

--
Ziv Tzvieli

Forget the dog- beware of owner!

No response from ping

Post by Andrew Chal » Tue, 15 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Ziv -- You're a hero! I made those changes and it worked. Many thanks.

On a related issue.TurboLinux is the only distribution that I have used (and
I am just starting out with that). You mention "That is one of the several
reasons that I don't Like TurboLinux." What would I have found in other
distributions?

Regards.

> > I am using TurboLinux v6.0. When I run network diagnostics it always
returns
> > the default gateway as unreachable. This same machine can also be booted
> > Win98 with the same IP address and default gateway information. That
> > networks fine. The default gateway and DNS host is NT.

> > Does anyone have any idea why Linux cannot reach the default gateway?

> > My NIC is a 3COM Ethercard 3C509B. The utility "turbonetcfg" shows it as
an:

> > "acenic     (acenic"

> > Has Linux incorrectly inferred my network card during the install
procedure?

> > Many thanks.

> In a word, bingo!
> Thats just one of the several reasons I don't like Turbolinux.

> What you need to do is edit your /etc/modules.conf (or conf.modules)
> file
> to say "alias eth0 3c59x".  The acenic module supports (on my computer
> anyway)
> a Netgear gigabit card.

> --
> Ziv Tzvieli

> Forget the dog- beware of owner!

1. arp response, no ping response

I am porting a working streams NIC driver from x86 to Sparc.  When I
ping the other machine, my driver is sending an arp request and
getting an arp response. I can see this using snoop on my local
machine. The data looks fine. My driver does not send an ICMP request.
There is also no entry in the arp table. Any ideas? Can I get debug
info from the TCP module?

Steve West

2. mandrake 6.0 & Rage Fury 128

3. Weird ping response

4. Filesystem for sampler...

5. plip configures fine, no ping response

6. Linux system

7. SCO 5.0.4 Gets "SLOW" response to pings

8. Removing a Mirror to install a new disk

9. ping return no response

10. Laptop RH6.2 - Can't hear ping response

11. slow ping response via fddi??

12. HELP - strange 'ping localhost' response

13. No response to broadcast ping