Problem printing to linux from w2k or nt

Problem printing to linux from w2k or nt

Post by Oscar Manuel Gómez Senovill » Mon, 15 Jul 2002 00:22:18

I have installed a linux box with woody, kernel 2.4.x, and I want it to act
as a printer server (it will serve over 100 printers) for w9x and w2k (with
sp2) boxes. I have the latest samba version in the woody branch (2.2.3 I
think, updated yesterday). I have tried just with one hp4000 printer with
its own nic and ip. The results are that from the linux box (as non-root,
as well as root), it prints ok, and from w9x too, but with w2k (and a pair
of nt4 with sp6a), I can see the share and "half-install" the printer.
These boxes really complete the installation (asking for a driver I have on
disk), but when then accessing to the printer, I get an "access denied"
error. Then I have also tried with a TCP/IP port via lpr (it could also be
a solution, instead of samba), but when spooling from the w2k, I get an
"unspecified error" with no more details and I haven't been able to make it
work this way either.

Looking at the logs in linux, I can see absolutely nothing, so I have no
idea of what can happen, though maybe the client lpr configuration isn't
appropiate.

Next Monday, if nobody can give me a solution, I'll try to compile the
latest samba 3 release, because in the site they say "improved w2k
printing".

Another question is, since surely there will be no disk shares (though I
can use the "valid users" directive), I plan to iterate many includes,
throughly planned, so a user can only see a few printers (the ones intended
to use), and not having to dive the whole set of printers. For this, I
could even set "security = share", and integrate users in groups and/or
user maps. I think I know how to handle this, but if somebody has
experienced or implemented this and has advice and/or doc, that would help.

A last question. The machine is a somehow old server, a p-90 with three
scsi disks (total about 20 Gb) and 512 Mb RAM. Could I have some
performance trouble?

Well, I hope somebody can help me.

TIA.

1. Can linux substitute w2k server and do the same as w2k server?

I already have my w2k clients with w2k advanced server and set to DNS
server. I want to replace w2k DNS server with linux.

Could linux do the same as w2k advanced server? Could linux DNS server
provide policy to user when user log on like w2k advanced server dose?

Is it possible to connect w2k client with linux DNS server?

Thank you.

2. How do I create /dev/plip0

3. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

4. expelled for *HACKING*

5. Tri Boot win98,w2k,linux using w2k boot manager?

6. Problem with 3c59x driver for 3c905TX card

7. Printing files from LINUX using NT Print Services

8. GLIBC Hash Functions - Please Help...

9. Q: Blank page when printing with Samba from NT 4.0 to Linux print server

10. Print problem - Linux to NT

11. Printing problems from NT to Linux

12. problem to print from windows NT to Linux with apsfilter !!!

13. VPN From W2K/Pro to W2K Server Doesn't Work Through IPCHAINS Firewall