ISA 100 Mbps card?

Post by /dev/nul » Sat, 20 Jul 2002 11:53:14

I have an old 486DX I'm running Linux on.  Can anyone recommend a good ISA
card that runs at 100 Mbps that works with Linux?

Thanks!

ISA 100 Mbps card?

Post by e5df42aa0d283.. » Sat, 20 Jul 2002 12:27:20

|I have an old 486DX I'm running Linux on.  Can anyone recommend a good ISA
|card that runs at 100 Mbps that works with Linux?

There are one or two rare ISA 100 Mb cards, listed in the Ethernet
HOWTO. One is the 3c515.  The ISA bus cannot handle 100 Mb worth of
traffic anyway so don't expect the full speed.  Why do you want to do
this? Do you have a 100 Mb only hub?

ISA 100 Mbps card?

Post by /dev/nul » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 05:18:18

Quote:> Do you have a 100 Mb only hub?

No.  Currently my Linux box has 3 ISA NICs that are 10 M, and that's fine.

I have some non-linux boxes that run high-traffic server apps (but low CPU
usage) that only take ISA as well.  I'd like to swap those cards out and let
them run at 100 and I'd like to get cards that in the future if I upgrade
the server computers I can take the ISA cards out and put them in the Linux
box.

Right now the Linux box is the gateway to the Internet over a 256K
connection, so the 10 M is not a problem.  But in the future, who knows how
fast my Internet will be?  Maybe I'd need (or could certainly use) the 100 M
connection speed.

Thanks for your help.

ISA 100 Mbps card?

Post by Ian Northeas » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 05:18:42

> |I have an old 486DX I'm running Linux on.  Can anyone recommend a good ISA
> |card that runs at 100 Mbps that works with Linux?

> There are one or two rare ISA 100 Mb cards, listed in the Ethernet
> HOWTO. One is the 3c515.  The ISA bus cannot handle 100 Mb worth of
> traffic anyway so don't expect the full speed.  Why do you want to do
> this? Do you have a 100 Mb only hub?

A 3c515 in a fast machine connected to a 100Mb switch will only manage
about 15Mb/s. In a 486 it's unlikely IMHO significantly to exceed the
performance of a 10Mb card of which there are many. I agree, there
really isn't any point in a 100Mb ISA card unless you have a 100Mb only
hub/switch which you need to connect an ISA only machine to. Otherwise
just find a 3c509 or similar, there are loads about and they're dirt
cheap. 3c515s are rather rare.

The answer to the original question is that there is no such thing as a
good ISA 100Mb card, but the 3c515 is about the "best" and works as well
in Linux as it does in anything else if not better. It is no trouble to
get working, and reliable IME, it just isn't fast.

Regards, Ian

PS I gave mine away, no idea where they are now so don't ask:)

ISA 100 Mbps card?

Post by James Knot » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 09:54:35

> I have an old 486DX I'm running Linux on.  Can anyone recommend a good ISA
> card that runs at 100 Mbps that works with Linux?

While there are (were?) some ISA 100 Mb NICs, they're few and far between,
because an ISA bus can't handle 100 Mb/s.  Why do you need one?  Any
switched hub should be able to connect a 10 Mb NIC to a 100 Mb NIC.

--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

james.knott.

ISA 100 Mbps card?

Post by James Knot » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 09:56:23

>> Do you have a 100 Mb only hub?

> No.  Currently my Linux box has 3 ISA NICs that are 10 M, and that's fine.

> I have some non-linux boxes that run high-traffic server apps (but low CPU
> usage) that only take ISA as well.  I'd like to swap those cards out and
> let them run at 100 and I'd like to get cards that in the future if I
> upgrade the server computers I can take the ISA cards out and put them in
> the Linux box.

As already mentioned, ISA can't run 100 Mb/s.  Just get a switched hub and
run 10 or 100 as suitable for the computers.

Quote:

--

Post by ec7917b3be4cc.. » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 11:02:26

|I have some non-linux boxes that run high-traffic server apps (but low CPU
|usage) that only take ISA as well.  I'd like to swap those cards out and let
|them run at 100 and I'd like to get cards that in the future if I upgrade
|the server computers I can take the ISA cards out and put them in the Linux
|box.

Maybe you should just upgrade them directly to PCI bus computers. How
high can the traffic be if they are only using ISA 10Mb cards at the
moment?

|Right now the Linux box is the gateway to the Internet over a 256K
|connection, so the 10 M is not a problem.  But in the future, who knows how
|fast my Internet will be?  Maybe I'd need (or could certainly use) the 100 M
|connection speed.

I doubt if you'll need 100 Mb to the Internet, but again, just toss out
the 486 and go for a Pentium with a PCI bus. Even P100s and P200s are
disappearing species.

ISA 100 Mbps card?

Post by Skylar Thompso » Mon, 22 Jul 2002 15:42:19

Quote:

> I doubt if you'll need 100 Mb to the Internet, but again, just toss out
> the 486 and go for a Pentium with a PCI bus. Even P100s and P200s are
> disappearing species.

In my experience, many low-end Pentia (80586s especially) cannot handle
100Mb/s either. While the PCI bus and the memory bus are both fast enough,
various other issues slow it down. I have a 200MHz 80586 (33MHz PCI, 66MHz
FSB) running OS/2 that has a 3Com 905 (100baseT-FX) card hooked up to a
Skylink 1008 8-port 10/100baseT-FX switch.

When I FTP stuff from the 80586 to a P-II Xeon server with an Intel
EtherExpress Pro 10/100 (chipset 82557), I never get more than about 6MB/s.
Disks aren't issue, as the server has an ATA/100 drive that benchmarks at
around 30MB/s, and the client has a Seagate SCA drive hooked up to a
Fast/Narrow bus (unknown benchmark). FTP'ing stuff between the
aforementioned Xeon server and another normal P-II machine with an
SMC2-1211TX (100baseT-FX) results in throughputs of 9-10MB/s.

I'm not sure if this is an issue with poorly supported bus mastering,
interrupt handling, or what.

--

ISA 100 Mbps card?

Post by Skylar Thompso » Mon, 22 Jul 2002 15:33:13

Quote:>|I have an old 486DX I'm running Linux on.  Can anyone recommend a good ISA
>|card that runs at 100 Mbps that works with Linux?

> There are one or two rare ISA 100 Mb cards, listed in the Ethernet
> HOWTO. One is the 3c515.  The ISA bus cannot handle 100 Mb worth of
> traffic anyway so don't expect the full speed.  Why do you want to do
> this? Do you have a 100 Mb only hub?

Why can't the ISA bus handle 100Mb/s? ISA is a 16-bit bus that runs at
8MHz, which makes for 16MB/s. 100Mb/s divided by 8 is 12.5MB/s, or just
below the maximum bandwidth of ISA.

--

ISA 100 Mbps card?

Post by 6da5bb0b040b7.. » Mon, 22 Jul 2002 18:41:45

|Why can't the ISA bus handle 100Mb/s? ISA is a 16-bit bus that runs at
|8MHz, which makes for 16MB/s. 100Mb/s divided by 8 is 12.5MB/s, or just
|below the maximum bandwidth of ISA.

You try it. :-)

Hint: You cannot achieve the theoretical bandwidth.

ISA 100 Mbps card?

Post by fb0c7a113fb5a.. » Mon, 22 Jul 2002 18:47:21

|In my experience, many low-end Pentia (80586s especially) cannot handle
|100Mb/s either. While the PCI bus and the memory bus are both fast enough,
|various other issues slow it down. I have a 200MHz 80586 (33MHz PCI, 66MHz
|FSB) running OS/2 that has a 3Com 905 (100baseT-FX) card hooked up to a
|Skylink 1008 8-port 10/100baseT-FX switch.

|I'm not sure if this is an issue with poorly supported bus mastering,
|interrupt handling, or what.

Sure, but the point is that 100Mb PCI NICs are cheap and plentiful and
he can continue to use them with more powerful CPUs, and will certainly
be enough for his Internet connection, unless he's got a massive pipe,
while 100Mb ISA NICs are collectors items and may even cost more than a
motherboard replacement :-).

ISA 100 Mbps card?

Post by James Knot » Mon, 22 Jul 2002 22:07:10

> When I FTP stuff from the 80586 to a P-II Xeon server with an Intel
> EtherExpress Pro 10/100 (chipset 82557), I never get more than about
> 6MB/s. Disks aren't issue, as the server has an ATA/100 drive that
> benchmarks at around 30MB/s, and the client has a Seagate SCA drive hooked
> up to a Fast/Narrow bus (unknown benchmark). FTP'ing stuff between the
> aforementioned Xeon server and another normal P-II machine with an
> SMC2-1211TX (100baseT-FX) results in throughputs of 9-10MB/s.

Well, 6 MB/s ~= 48 Mb/s.  To get a valid comparison, you'll have to run the
same software on a different system, to see if you get comparable results.
A standard PCI bus is good for (IIRC) 132 MB/s.

--

Post by James Knot » Mon, 22 Jul 2002 22:20:26

>>|I have an old 486DX I'm running Linux on.  Can anyone recommend a good
>>|ISA card that runs at 100 Mbps that works with Linux?

>> There are one or two rare ISA 100 Mb cards, listed in the Ethernet
>> HOWTO. One is the 3c515.  The ISA bus cannot handle 100 Mb worth of
>> traffic anyway so don't expect the full speed.  Why do you want to do
>> this? Do you have a 100 Mb only hub?

> Why can't the ISA bus handle 100Mb/s? ISA is a 16-bit bus that runs at
> 8MHz, which makes for 16MB/s. 100Mb/s divided by 8 is 12.5MB/s, or just
> below the maximum bandwidth of ISA.

That 16 MB/s is incorrect.  An ISA bus transfer requires 2 to 8 cycles per
transfer, so the maximum data rate is in fact 8 MB/s (64 Mb/s)

Also the bus has to handle more than just data in one direction to the NIC.
For example, there are the acks that have to be handled.  Then the data has
to come from somewhere, such as a disk drive, which also takes bandwidth,
plus other things that the computer is doing, which also requires bandwidth
from the bus.  All in all, there's a lot of other traffic on the ISA bus,
which will prevent it from coming any where near that 8MB/s.

--

Post by James Knot » Mon, 22 Jul 2002 22:21:08

> |Why can't the ISA bus handle 100Mb/s? ISA is a 16-bit bus that runs at
> |8MHz, which makes for 16MB/s. 100Mb/s divided by 8 is 12.5MB/s, or just
> |below the maximum bandwidth of ISA.

> You try it. :-)

> Hint: You cannot achieve the theoretical bandwidth.

And claiming twice the actual theoretical bandwidth doesn't help either.

--

Post by Louis Boy » Mon, 22 Jul 2002 23:54:19

> > |Why can't the ISA bus handle 100Mb/s? ISA is a 16-bit bus that runs at
> > |8MHz, which makes for 16MB/s. 100Mb/s divided by 8 is 12.5MB/s, or just
> > |below the maximum bandwidth of ISA.

> > You try it. :-)

> > Hint: You cannot achieve the theoretical bandwidth.

> And claiming twice the actual theoretical bandwidth doesn't help either.

But to be desirable compared to a 10baseT card at 100bastT card doesn't have
to run at 100 Mb/s.  It only has to run faster than 10 Mb/s.
--
Lou Boyd