Linux alternative to NIS?

Post by Mike Fris » Sat, 07 Sep 1996 04:00:00

        I am curious to know if there is an alternative to NIS which
will give me the same abilities between several Linux machines?
Essentially, I want to be able to map user IDs/passwords for use with
NFS and network logins.  I have been advised of a small daemon made just
for this (who's name escapes me right now), but was unable to find
source for it.

        Failing that, is the NIS client/server stuff working well
enough to do this without trouble?

Thanks.

Mike.

Mike Frisch                                        (416) 496-2200 Ext. 2272
Software Engineer
Hummingbird Communications Ltd.                 North York, Ontario, Canada

            Disclaimer: I speak for myself, not my employer

1. Alternatives to NIS for Linux?

    Can anybody recommened alternatives to NIS for Linux?  Something
to distribute /etc/passwd and /etc/group information at least.

    Thanks!
Arcadio Alivio Sincero Jr.
Computer Science Major, University of Maryland Baltimore County

WWW: http://www.sinceronet.ddns.org (COMING REAL SOON NOW(tm)!!!)

Snail mail: P.O. Box 2081, Annapolis MD, 21404-2081

"Hookt on fonix werked fer mi!"

2. no sound with CS4281 card

3. NIS : auth problem with Linux nis server and SUN sparc nis client

4. X server does not start

5. Alternative to NIS?

6. How to setup mailserver

7. LDAP / Active Directory or other alternatives to NIS+ ???

8. IP masq question

9. NIS Alternative

10. Alternatives to NFS/NIS

11. Alternatives to NIS/YP

12. Alternatives to NIS (just pasword sharing)

13. Alternatives to NIS(+)