Trying to figure out why I can't establish a network connection

Trying to figure out why I can't establish a network connection

Post by mike » Sun, 24 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
    I have a 486 DX2-66 system with 32 mb . I have installed
Debian 2.1 on it. As far as I can tell the settings are correct,
but I can't seem to establish a network connection to my other
computers via ethernet.
    ifconfig shows that the connection is up.
    route -n shows the correct routing.
    /etc/hosts have all the ip numbers and names of the
    computers on the network.
    I have looked at the running ethernet modules and they
    are the correct ones. (ne and 8390)
    I have disabled the ipmasq function and restarted the
    network functions. Still I can't ping any other systems
    and they can't ping the 486.
      Any ideas will be well appreciated.

                                                        Thanks
                                                                Mike

    I have even substituted a different hard drive with a different
version of Linux. It happens to be Slackware 7.0 and it
can establish a network connection with the same ethernet card
and other hardware.

Trying to figure out why I can't establish a network connection

Post by thomas opperman » Mon, 25 Sep 2000 09:02:23

Hello,

possible problems:

1. IP adresses, all have to be same class refering to subnet 255.255.255.0,
meaning your ip sdresses can only vary in the last three digits.

2. cables. check connections and cable

thomas

Quote:> Hi,

Post by Karl Heye » Mon, 25 Sep 2000 10:45:27

> Hi,
>     I have a 486 DX2-66 system with 32 mb . I have installed
> Debian 2.1 on it. As far as I can tell the settings are correct, but I can't
> seem to establish a network connection to my other computers via ethernet.
>     ifconfig shows that the connection is up. route -n shows the correct
>     routing.
>     /etc/hosts have all the ip numbers and names of the
>     computers on the network. I have looked at the running ethernet modules
>     and they are the correct ones. (ne and 8390) I have disabled the ipmasq
>     function and restarted the network functions. Still I can't ping any
>     other systems and they can't ping the 486.
>       Any ideas will be well appreciated.

run a tcpdump on the interface and run a ping from the other machines, see
if any traffic shows up.

Your card maybe using the wrong port, BNC,AUI,RJ45 ?

karl.

1. Trying to establish PPP Connection

I've been experimenting with seyon and pppd trying to establish a
connection with my local provider. THe provider uses dynamic assignment.
I've gone to this arrangment because all attempts at using chat with ppp
end in chat hanging after sending ATZ.
(pppd connect "chat '' ATZ OK ATDT1234567 CONNECT '' name: xxx word:
xxx" /dev/cua2 crtscts defaultroute)

I have been able to establish connections with both dip and seyon.
What is the equiv of a pppauth file for specifying username and
password? Are there other configuration files I need to be careful of?
The network admin book mentions a noipdefault option for dynamic. Does
this go into /etc/ppp/options?

2. Scheduling mail fetches - Easiest ways

3. HELP with script, trying to establish a PPP connection

4. Question on tcsh command completion

5. WHY: the client process has been killed, but the connection on server is still ESTABLISHED

6. instant system freeze-up after memory allocation

7. Why does cron fails to establish PPP connection to ISP?

8. xfm help

9. Network adapter... Trying to figure it all out.

10. Running rdate after networking connection with WLAN and DHCP is established

11. Windows CE establishing a network connection via Linux automatically on dock?

12. Help!! Slip connection established but network unreacheable

13. Can't establish ppp connection