3c590 NIC conflicts with Viper330 (XSuSe), locks up system!?

3c590 NIC conflicts with Viper330 (XSuSe), locks up system!?

Post by Tom Stam » Thu, 02 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I just "upgraded" an old ISA 3c509 NIC to a PCI 3c590, and the new card
works fine as long as I don't run X. If I don't activate the eth0
interface, I can run X, but if I activate it and then run X the whole
system hangs. Also if I activate it *while* running X the system hangs,
and even if I run X, quit, and then activate the eth0 interface it
hangs.

I don't have this problem if I use the VGA16 server, so I'm guessing
it's probably something that the XSuSe server does to the Viper that
makes it conflict with the NIC. I'm still running X 3.3.1 with the SuSe
server because I'd like to wait for an rpm'd version of 3.3.2, but I
didn't see this problem listed in the "fixes" (I just skimmed them
though). I can run both cards, with the viper in any video mode, under
WinNT without a problem so I'm pretty sure it's a software thing.

Also I'm pretty sure it's actually locking up the whole system, not just
the console or X server because I had an active ftp session from another
machine to this one, and it died when I tried to start an X session.

Anyone seen this before? I did a search on DejaNews and couldn't find
anything like it. Plenty of other PnP type conflicts, but not this
particular one ;)

thanks
-Tom

3c590 NIC conflicts with Viper330 (XSuSe), locks up system!?

Post by 3238 » Sat, 04 Apr 1998 04:00:00

If the 3c590 card is sharing an interrupt with your Viper 330, you would
have the problems you described.  Try changing the IRQ or you 3c590 card or
add the option:  Option "No Accel" to your XF86Config.  This will slow the
Xserver down, but it should work even with a shared Irq.

-Dave

>I just "upgraded" an old ISA 3c509 NIC to a PCI 3c590, and the new card
>works fine as long as I don't run X. If I don't activate the eth0
>interface, I can run X, but if I activate it and then run X the whole
>system hangs. Also if I activate it *while* running X the system hangs,
>and even if I run X, quit, and then activate the eth0 interface it
>hangs.

>I don't have this problem if I use the VGA16 server, so I'm guessing
>it's probably something that the XSuSe server does to the Viper that
>makes it conflict with the NIC. I'm still running X 3.3.1 with the SuSe
>server because I'd like to wait for an rpm'd version of 3.3.2, but I
>didn't see this problem listed in the "fixes" (I just skimmed them
>though). I can run both cards, with the viper in any video mode, under
>WinNT without a problem so I'm pretty sure it's a software thing.

>Also I'm pretty sure it's actually locking up the whole system, not just
>the console or X server because I had an active ftp session from another
>machine to this one, and it died when I tried to start an X session.

>Anyone seen this before? I did a search on DejaNews and couldn't find
>anything like it. Plenty of other PnP type conflicts, but not this
>particular one ;)

>thanks
>-Tom

3c590 NIC conflicts with Viper330 (XSuSe), locks up system!?

Post by Peter van Hoo » Mon, 06 Apr 1998 05:00:00

Quote:>If the 3c590 card is sharing an interrupt with your Viper 330, you would
>have the problems you described.  Try changing the IRQ or you 3c590 card or
>add the option:  Option "No Accel" to your XF86Config.  This will slow the
>Xserver down, but it should work even with a shared Irq.

I had the same problem with a Viper 330 and a 3c590 card.  On my
motherboard (an Asus P2L97), the (AGP) Viper 330 shares an interrupt
with the first PCI slot.  I just moved the ethernet card to another
slot and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

peter

3c590 NIC conflicts with Viper330 (XSuSe), locks up system!?

Post by aardvark » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I had the same problem with a Viper 330 and a 3c590 card.  On my
>motherboard (an Asus P2L97), the (AGP) Viper 330 shares an interrupt
>with the first PCI slot.  I just moved the ethernet card to another
>slot and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

So the PCI slot # directly effected the IRQ used?

--

     OoO<  aardvarko at geocities dot com      icq 8435513  >OoO
     " "   http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lab/2672   " "

--

Post by Greg Herlei » Thu, 16 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I had the same problem with a Viper 330 and a 3c590 card.  On my
> motherboard (an Asus P2L97), the (AGP) Viper 330 shares an interrupt
> with the first PCI slot.  I just moved the ethernet card to another
> slot and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

This worked for me too.  I figured out (after kind advice found here)
to look at /proc/pci and saw that both the Viper and the 3Com card
(which was in slot 1) both wanted IRQ 9.  Moving the card to another
slot solved the problem.  Of course, now I ought to go read up on PCI
and figure out why/how IRQs are assigned....

Thanks to the folks out there who helped me.

Greg

--
/*****************************************************
Greg Herlein                     415-519-3650 Voice

Software Development - Data Acquisition - Networking
Unix - Linux - Solaris - Embedded Systems - Wireless
*****************************************************/

Post by Brett Vire » Fri, 17 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> > I had the same problem with a Viper 330 and a 3c590 card.  On my
> > motherboard (an Asus P2L97), the (AGP) Viper 330 shares an interrupt
> > with the first PCI slot.  I just moved the ethernet card to another
> > slot and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

> This worked for me too.  I figured out (after kind advice found here)
> to look at /proc/pci and saw that both the Viper and the 3Com card
> (which was in slot 1) both wanted IRQ 9.  Moving the card to another
> slot solved the problem.  Of course, now I ought to go read up on PCI
> and figure out why/how IRQs are assigned....

Next time you reboot check your BIOS. You should be able to reserve/exclude
different IRQs there (depends on the BIOS, though), instead of changing
slots. But then again, whatever works!

-Brett.