3c900:eth0:transmit timed out, tx_status 00, status e000

3c900:eth0:transmit timed out, tx_status 00, status e000

Post by D. S. Bake » Mon, 20 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Calling all network guru's

I seem to have developed an intriguing problem with my network setup
which, only being an apprentice guru, has me somewhat baffled.  I have a
3Com 3c900 PCI Ethernet Network Card on the problem machine, which was
speaking to a 3Com 3c590C PCI Ethernet card at the other end.

I keep getting a message displayed which is as follows:

eth0: transmit timed out, tx_status 00 status e000.
(this is repeated a number of times)

when I try to ping another host, or attempt to make use of the network,
all I get is dropped packets.  ifconfig reports the following;

lo      (this section has been cut)

eth0    Link encap:10Mbps Ethernet HWaddr 00:A0:24:D6:4C:5B
        inet addr:192.168.0.2 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
        RX packets:205 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
        TX packets:0 errors:19 dropped:19 overruns:0
        Interrupt:15 Base address:0xef00

I have had the network up and running previously with no obvious
problems.  Subsequent to installation of a number of additional devices
into the system (ahah! I hear you cry. Here it comes!) the network has
been misbehaving.  The new items added are;

1.)     Tandberg TDC 360092X4180 QIC SCSI-1 Tape Drive
        (fully operational as /dev/st0, subsequently removed to see if
         this was causing the problem - no joy)

2.)     Additional SCSI-2 2GB Hard Drive /dev/sdb configured with
        Windows 3.11 (again fully operational - able to mount and access
        the partitions thro' Linux.  This I have disconnected with no
        joy)

3.)     Miro DC20 PCI Video Capture Card
        (this I haven't removed as yet, but would it really cause a
        problem?)

I have run up the 3Com Diagnositics and Configuration program on both
machines and have had both machines transmitting and receiving signals.
I thought, after scouring the linux network newsgroup, that Linux may be
trying to use the wrong connector on the card, so I set it to the BNC
connection (yes the one which the cable is connected to!) with the
configuration program.

I have had the multimeter out to check the ethernet cable, the tee
pieces, the resistance across the terminators, and all combinations of
connections, including replacement tee pieces (although not the
terminators as I couldn't find any spares, where do they all go?).

Under Linux I have the 3c59x driver as a loadable module. The source
code is Donald Beckers 3c900.c:v0.35 9/13/96 driver, which I have had
working previously.  I load the module with the following command;

        insmod 3c59x debug=1 options=3

Which I believe forces the card to use the 10Base2 (ie BNC) connection.

Nothing I have tried so far has worked. I have tried to work thro' the
problem in a logical manner, but as I stated, only being an apprentice
guru I have failed to source the root of the cause.  Drop me a line if I
have missed anything which might be of significance. Any help on this
problem would be gratefully received.

Thanks
--
D. S. Baker

Post by Chri » Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:00:00

: I seem to have developed an intriguing problem with my network setup
: which, only being an apprentice guru, has me somewhat baffled.  I have a
: 3Com 3c900 PCI Ethernet Network Card on the problem machine, which was
: speaking to a 3Com 3c590C PCI Ethernet card at the other end.

Interestingly enough, I have a very similar setup on one of my machines, and had the exact same problem just the other day.  That's after 84 days of uptime, mind you.  I rebooted, and everything seemed to go ok after that.  I guess I'll see it again in 82 more days...

--
/chris/

Post by Alan Wils » Fri, 31 Jan 1997 04:00:00

:
: : I seem to have developed an intriguing problem with my network setup
: : which, only being an apprentice guru, has me somewhat baffled.  I have a
: : 3Com 3c900 PCI Ethernet Network Card on the problem machine, which was
: : speaking to a 3Com 3c590C PCI Ethernet card at the other end.
:
: Interestingly enough, I have a very similar setup on one of my machines, and had the exact same problem just the other day.  That's after 84 days of uptime, mind you.  I rebooted, and everything seemed to go ok after that.  I guess I'll see it again in 82 more days...
:
: --
: /chris

I have been trying to get one of these things working for some time now.  What
is the trick.  I downloaded the new 3c59x.c file and attempted to compile it;
but had no end  of problems.  [Yes, I am new at this.]  I tried to compile
the kernel, but now receive (both with the old kernel and new) lots of
unresolved dependencies inthe modules and undefined stuff at boot.

Hints please.  [Oh, yes --- RedHat 4.0; 2.0.18 kernel; ]

Thanks
Alan