How DHCP Client can auto set a static IP, when connect to DHCP Server fail ?

How DHCP Client can auto set a static IP, when connect to DHCP Server fail ?

Post by sant » Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:53:11

Dear all,

I use Redhat 9.0 system. And I have two NIC interface. One is eth0 ( I set
DHCP Client), another is eth1 ( I set DHCP Server).

Is it possible that eth0 can auto set a IP ( ex: 169.254.X.X ) just like
windows when eth0 can connect to DHCP Server?

Thanks your suggestion.

Post by James Knot » Thu, 28 Aug 2003 19:43:22

> Dear all,

> I use Redhat 9.0 system. And I have two NIC interface. One is eth0 ( I set
> DHCP Client), another is eth1 ( I set DHCP Server).

> Is it possible that eth0 can auto set a IP ( ex: 169.254.X.X ) just like
> windows when eth0 can connect to DHCP Server?

Yes.  Just configure it to use dhcp.

--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

james.knott.

1. Auto static IP if DHCP server goes down.

Just wondering if anyone has a setup to monitor dhcpcd to bring up a
static IP connection if the dhcp server dies?  I am using RedHat 5.0.

Our remote non-Linux (Netware) DHCP server apparently became confused,
and while it still working on our factory LAN, it stopped responding
to remote offices (I could not even ping it).  When dhcp leases
started expiring, I set static addresses on Win95 boxes on our LAN,
but did not think about Linux.

When Linux dhcpcd could not renew its lease, it simply gave up and
brought down eth0.  For some reason this also caused mgetty to stop
answering the phone, so I could no longer dial in to the shell or ppp
to correct this.  Needless to say, a modem on the router could not get
into Linux either with eth0 down.  And when I did get into the office,
the netcfg tool would not work either (crashed with nameserver
problem), apparently because an empty "nameserver" statement ended up
in resolv.conf even if there are is no DNS (did dhcpcd do that?).

The Netware server at our factory has been troublesome at best lately.
Fortunately we do not do Netware in remote offices, so all we need it
for is DHCP.

David Efflandt/Elgin, IL USA

2. sendfax problem

3. Setting up a linux dhcp client with a win98 dhcp server??

4. Is it possible to make my own video driver ?

5. RH 5.1 flawless ftp-dhcp install; dhcp config retained; dhcp fails @ boot

6. API for printing?

7. What's the right way to switch a system from DHCP client to static IP# ?

8. KDE 2.0

9. DHCP Linux Client at NT-DHCP Server

10. Sunray as DHCP client to NT DHCP server

11. DHCP assign "static-IP" based on client hostname

12. Redhat 9.0 dhcp client & windows 2003 dhcp server: dynamic dns update

13. trouble with AIX dhcp client / Cisco dhcp server