newbie Q: connecting mac and pc?

Post by clair » Sun, 05 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi I'm a newbie needing a bit of advice on connecting my two computers.
can anyone help?
I have a mac beige G3 which has macos on one partition and linux-ppc on
the other, I also have a pc with linux/windows installed. I'd like to
network these to exchange files, and preferrable share printer also (and
preferrably by the cheapest way possible-- 'cause I'm a cheap-skate;-) .

I'd like to know what options I have and what's a good place for
information, besides the LDP network admin guide and the how-tos which
I'm looking at already. Can anybody tell me specifically where to find
hardward compatibility info for connecting macs and pcs for either a
linux to macos or linux-to-linux-ppc? Somebody told me I might be able
to get by without a hub if I setup a 10TBase2 ethernet connection, but I
wasn't sure if that might just be a windows-to-windows option.

thanks for any help!

--Claire

Post by clair » Tue, 07 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Hi I'm a newbie needing a bit of advice on connecting my two computers.
> can anyone help?
> I have a mac beige G3 which has macos on one partition and linux-ppc on
> the other, I also have a pc with linux/windows installed. I'd like to
> network these to exchange files, and preferrable share printer also (and
> preferrably by the cheapest way possible-- 'cause I'm a cheap-skate;-) .

> I'd like to know what options I have and what's a good place for
> information, besides the LDP network admin guide and the how-tos which
> I'm looking at already.

No, actually I could do with some pointers to the right howtos also, I
might be missing some that I should be reading.
Quote:> Can anybody tell me specifically where to find
> hardward compatibility info for connecting macs and pcs for either a
> linux to macos or linux-to-linux-ppc? Somebody told me I might be able
> to get by without a hub if I setup a 10TBase2 ethernet connection, but I
> wasn't sure if that might just be a windows-to-windows option.

> thanks for any help!

> --Claire

newbie Q: connecting mac and pc?

Post by Steve Krau » Mon, 13 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I can give "some" information, but not a lot.  Hope this helps.

>> Hi I'm a newbie needing a bit of advice on connecting my two computers.
>> can anyone help?
>> I have a mac beige G3 which has macos on one partition and linux-ppc on
>> the other, I also have a pc with linux/windows installed. I'd like to
>> network these to exchange files, and preferrable share printer also (and
>> preferrably by the cheapest way possible-- 'cause I'm a cheap-skate;-) .

There are the following "possible" OS configurations:
1) Linux - Linux (mac and pc)
2) MacOS - Linux
3) Linux - Windows
4) MacOS - Windows

Quote:>> I'd like to know what options I have and what's a good place for
>> information, besides the LDP network admin guide and the how-tos which
>> I'm looking at already.

In terms of hardware, as long as both have an ethernet card (with the
same connections -- RJ45, for example), then you're ok -- just get a
crossover cable (not a normal patch cable), and you're good to go. (or
connect them through a hub) [You could also try serial connections,
but assuming you have ethernet on each machine ... don't bother)  Then
it's just a matter of software

Let's start at the end.  For the MacOS-Windows connection -- this is
the 'hardest' and most expensive, as neither OS is meant to be a
server.  There are commercial programs that will let the Mac do SMB or
Windows do AppleTalk -- but that's expensive (you can use PC MacLAN or
Timbuktu).  You can of course run ftp servers on these OSes and get
file access that way (not a great way, though) -- but no easy printer
access.  I'm least familiar with the 'other' software options here.

Connecting a Windows machine to a Linux box is simple.  Samba is
pretty easy to set up, and there is good documentation (most any Linux
book, as well as the HowTo docs).  This will give you file sharing and
printer sharing without difficulty.

Similarly, a Mac to Linux isn't bad.  On the Linux box you run
Netatalk, which is an AppleTalk implementation to provide file and
print services to the Mac.  The documentation is lacking in many
regards ... you'll have to do a lot yourself and perhaps ask quite a
few questions.

And finally, Linux to Linux is almost trivial; the OS setup itself
would probably help you get those things going.  Whatever distro you
have probably has info on this sort of setup as well.

All this for the price of an ethernet cable (a few bucks)

Quote:>No, actually I could do with some pointers to the right howtos also, I
>might be missing some that I should be reading.

For Linux, the EtherNet and Net3 HowTos are must reads for general
info; the NetaTalk HowTo is somewhat lacking, but there is plenty of
Samba stuff.  I just found www.homenetworking.org today --- a bit of a
/. rip-off in terms of layout, but seems to have some info.

Quote:>> Can anybody tell me specifically where to find
>> hardward compatibility info for connecting macs and pcs for either a
>> linux to macos or linux-to-linux-ppc?

As mentioned above, hardware is trivial.  As long as each machine has
a regular ethernet card, you're okay.  RJ45 connectors are the most
common nowadays.  With null-modem adapters, it should be possible to
connect macs and pcs vial serial ports, although that's slow, and
really only of importance for old macs (or maybe really old pcs) that
don't have NICs.

Quote:>> Somebody told me I might be able
>> to get by without a hub if I setup a 10TBase2 ethernet connection, but I
>> wasn't sure if that might just be a windows-to-windows option.

I do it at home, actually with 2 pcs (windows and linux) and an old
mac (just the MacOS) ... just get a crossover cable to connect them.
If you have more than 2 machines, you'll probably want a hub (even
though you could put multiple NICs in the Linux box and such) -- which
is what I switched to (a hub) a few weeks ago ... just made things a
bit more simple.  Everything works fine...

Quote:>> thanks for any help!

>> --Claire

I hope this was somewhat helpful.  For more info, just ask.

- Steve