Windows/Linux internet connection sharing.

Windows/Linux internet connection sharing.

Post by Pete Lewi » Mon, 18 Jun 2001 09:28:07

Hi there.

I have two boxes, one Win2000 and one Linux, connected by ethernet. The
Windows box has a dial up internet connection, and I want to be able to
access the internet from the linux box too, using the windows one as a
router. I activated internet connection sharing in windows, and configured
it as a nameserver for linux, and I can resolve internet urls etc, but any
ip's outside my little lan are inaccessible from the linux box. What do I
need to do to get this to work?

Thanks,

-Pete.

Windows/Linux internet connection sharing.

Post by Damiano Fasol » Mon, 18 Jun 2001 23:15:25

On the windows box you'll need to enable IP routing (probably it is
already done by Internet connection Wizard: check however in your NIC
TCP/IP settings).

On the linux box you'll need to set up a default router to your windows
gateway: try
route add default gw <Windows IP>
or use linuxconf wizards to set up to route as persistent.

> Hi there.

> I have two boxes, one Win2000 and one Linux, connected by ethernet. The
> Windows box has a dial up internet connection, and I want to be able to
> access the internet from the linux box too, using the windows one as a
> router. I activated internet connection sharing in windows, and configured
> it as a nameserver for linux, and I can resolve internet urls etc, but any
> ip's outside my little lan are inaccessible from the linux box. What do I
> need to do to get this to work?

> Thanks,

> -Pete.

Windows/Linux internet connection sharing.

Post by Pete Lewi » Tue, 19 Jun 2001 01:54:53

Thanks. I'm pretty certain that the Linux box has the right default gateway,
but the windows box doesn't seem to be routing the packets through. I can't
find the setting to enable IP routing, although it will work when connected
to another windows box.

-Pete.

> On the windows box you'll need to enable IP routing (probably it is
> already done by Internet connection Wizard: check however in your NIC
> TCP/IP settings).

> On the linux box you'll need to set up a default router to your windows
> gateway: try
> route add default gw <Windows IP>
> or use linuxconf wizards to set up to route as persistent.

> > Hi there.

> > I have two boxes, one Win2000 and one Linux, connected by ethernet. The
> > Windows box has a dial up internet connection, and I want to be able to
> > access the internet from the linux box too, using the windows one as a
> > router. I activated internet connection sharing in windows, and
configured
> > it as a nameserver for linux, and I can resolve internet urls etc, but
any
> > ip's outside my little lan are inaccessible from the linux box. What do
> > need to do to get this to work?

> > Thanks,

> > -Pete.

Windows/Linux internet connection sharing.

Post by Dean Thompso » Fri, 22 Jun 2001 13:24:58

Hi!,

Quote:> I have two boxes, one Win2000 and one Linux, connected by ethernet. The
> Windows box has a dial up internet connection, and I want to be able to
> access the internet from the linux box too, using the windows one as a
> router. I activated internet connection sharing in windows, and configured
> it as a nameserver for linux, and I can resolve internet urls etc, but any
> ip's outside my little lan are inaccessible from the linux box. What do I
> need to do to get this to work?

Have you told Linux that it is to use the IP address of the Windows box to be
its gateway.  Additionally, unless your Win2000 box runs a DNS server, you are
better off leaving your DNS server to be the same as the Win2000 server.  I
think ICS handles the passing of the DNS requests without a problem.

See ya

Dean Thompson

1. Windows to Linux Internet Connection Sharing

I have been using SUSE Linux for a  while now but have recently decided I
would like to use the Internet in Linux rather than Windows.

I dual-boot my system with windows 98 and I have a separate computer
connected to the internet via modem. I currently connect from the computer
with the modem and also via Windows 98's Internet Connection Sharing.

Is there any way I can share the connection in Linux, and if so how? Any
links to HOWTO's would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

2. HSZ70 controller virtual terminal

3. Setting up shared Internet connection with a Linux client with a Windows 2000 server (gateway)

4. RS/6000 model 930 hanging!

5. Linux/windows 95 internet connection sharing DNS problem

6. HELP: Abysmal Ingres performance - Data posted as requested [LONG]

7. Sharing Internet Connection Windows 98 SE and Linux

8. Disk manager for >1024 HD, with 2 drives

9. Sharing Internet Connection Windows/Linux?

10. Linux / Windows Internet Connection Sharing

11. Linux/FastEthernet/Windows Internet Connection Sharing

12. connect a linux machine to the internet via internet connection sharing

13. Solaris 7 and Windows 98 Internet Connection Sharing