Windows NT 2000 & Linux (Turbo Linux)

Post by Eric O. Flore » Sun, 02 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Can some one please explain to me why?

    Why can the Linux box & Win box ping each other but yet communications
cannot be established.

Such as the Win box cannot the see the linux box in inside of the network.
Then the linux cannot access anything within the win box.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Windows NT 2000 & Linux (Turbo Linux)

Post by Mike Dal » Mon, 03 Jul 2000 04:00:00

You need to educate yourself about Samba.

You should be able to telnet from the Windows NT machine to the linux
machine, but you need to set up Samba on the linux machine for it to be
visible in the Windows NT network neighbourhood.

Mike

Post by James Staffor » Sun, 23 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> >Can some one please explain to me why?

> >    Why can the Linux box & Win box ping each other but yet communications
> >cannot be established.

> >Such as the Win box cannot the see the linux box in inside of the network.
> >Then the linux cannot access anything within the win box.

> >Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I suggest you get a Samba book (Teach Yourself Samba In 21 Days or some
other book).

jamess
--
"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section,
it said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed Linux."

-Anonymous

Windows NT 2000 & Linux (Turbo Linux)

Post by AlfO » Sun, 23 Jul 2000 04:00:00

They can "communicate" as is proven by the fact they can poing one and
other. If ftp, telnet, and http servers were setup on both, then they could
both communicate over these to one another. If you didn't have ftp setup on
either box, would you wonder why you cannot ftp to either? Of course not,
you cannot ftp becuase ftp communication requirements (and ftp server and
client) haven't been met. The same is true for standard Windows based
communications. If you are wishing ot share file, browse drive contents, etc
then you must have a "server" and a "client" communications structure in
place. To do this you must use SMD or CIFS (the normal method of
communication for resource browsing and utilization on a Windows network).
Samba is the only product currently to do this. You could of course pay ten
fortunes for MS add-on to NT that lets it use NFS resources, but why pay for
what can be done better for free. Hope this helps.