samba problem

Post by Dan » Wed, 29 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi Everyone,

Currently I'm running RedHat 7.0 and I'm trying to get samba to work,
but I came across a little problem and I've been dwelling on it for
weeks now.  I know it's probably something simple, and it's right under
my nose, but I'm not catching it.

The problem is:

After I set up my configuration file (included below), I run smbd and
nmbd.  Afterwards, on the network my computer shows up and I'm able to
access it, but no matter what username and password I put in, it would
always tell me "Incorrect password or unknown username."  Every,
username and password I've putted in are legit accounts on my linux box.

Perhaps, there are some changes to RH7.0 compare to 6.0/6.1/6.2 that I'm
not aware of?

[global]
 netbios name = name
 server string = comment
 workgroup = mygroup
 encrypt passwords = Yes
 log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
 max log size = 0
 dns proxy = No
 printing = lprng

[homes]
 comment = Home Directories
 path = /home/%u
 revalidate = Yes
 writeable = Yes
 browseable = No

[printers]
 comment = All Printers
 path = /var/spool/samba
 printable = Yes
 browseable = No

Thanks for all help,
Dan

samba problem

Post by Peter Maria Stirnber » Wed, 29 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi Dan,

> always tell me "Incorrect password or unknown username."  Every,
> username and password I've putted in are legit accounts on my linux
> box.

is there a file called smbpasswd.conf in /etc? You have to add the
Sambauser to this file: "smbpasswd (-c) user" - use the "-c"-parameter
if there is no smbpasswd. (smbpasswd stands for both, the program and
the config-file)

Quote:> [global]
>  netbios name = name
>  server string = comment
>  workgroup = mygroup
>  encrypt passwords = Yes

and here maybe you need something like: security = user.
man smb.conf is your friend.

Greetings

Peter

samba problem

Post by Dual » Wed, 29 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

>Hi Everyone,

>Currently I'm running RedHat 7.0 and I'm trying to get samba to work,
>but I came across a little problem and I've been dwelling on it for
>weeks now.  I know it's probably something simple, and it's right under
>my nose, but I'm not catching it.

>The problem is:

>After I set up my configuration file (included below), I run smbd and
>nmbd.  Afterwards, on the network my computer shows up and I'm able to
>access it, but no matter what username and password I put in, it would
>always tell me "Incorrect password or unknown username."  Every,
>username and password I've putted in are legit accounts on my linux box.

>Perhaps, there are some changes to RH7.0 compare to 6.0/6.1/6.2 that I'm
>not aware of?

Are the users also in the /etc/smbpasswd present.

Using RH62 I had similar problems

DualIP

samba problem

Post by <jos.. » Wed, 29 Nov 2000 04:00:00

What is smb checking for the username/passwords?
is it the system account info, or is it looking for the /etc/smbpasswd?

There is a setting that tells samba to use the linux system
userid/passwords. Check that.
Try "man smbpasswd" perhaps ?

What client are you accessing the smb server from ?

Quote:

> Hi Everyone,

> Currently I'm running RedHat 7.0 and I'm trying to get samba to work,
> but I came across a little problem and I've been dwelling on it for
> weeks now.  I know it's probably something simple, and it's right under
> my nose, but I'm not catching it.

> The problem is:

> After I set up my configuration file (included below), I run smbd and
> nmbd.  Afterwards, on the network my computer shows up and I'm able to
> access it, but no matter what username and password I put in, it would
> always tell me "Incorrect password or unknown username."  Every,
> username and password I've putted in are legit accounts on my linux box.

> Perhaps, there are some changes to RH7.0 compare to 6.0/6.1/6.2 that I'm
> not aware of?

> [global]
>  netbios name = name
>  server string = comment
>  workgroup = mygroup
>  encrypt passwords = Yes
>  log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
>  max log size = 0
>  socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
>  dns proxy = No
>  printing = lprng

> [homes]
>  comment = Home Directories
>  path = /home/%u
>  revalidate = Yes
>  writeable = Yes
>  browseable = No

> [printers]
>  comment = All Printers
>  path = /var/spool/samba
>  printable = Yes
>  browseable = No

> Thanks for all help,
> Dan

samba problem

Post by Marc Sitki » Wed, 29 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> Hi Dan,

> > always tell me "Incorrect password or unknown username."  Every,
> > username and password I've putted in are legit accounts on my linux
> > box.

> is there a file called smbpasswd.conf in /etc? You have to add the
> Sambauser to this file: "smbpasswd (-c) user" - use the "-c"-parameter
> if there is no smbpasswd. (smbpasswd stands for both, the program and
> the config-file)

> > [global]
> >  netbios name = name
> >  server string = comment
> >  workgroup = mygroup
> >  encrypt passwords = Yes

> and here maybe you need something like: security = user.
> man smb.conf is your friend.

> Greetings

> Peter

You may be using unencrypted passwords on your Samba server, while your
windows machines are not allowing the use of unencrypted passwords. You'll
need to modify your Samba setup, or edit the registry on the windows
machine if this is the case.
--
regards,

Marc Sitkin

samba problem

Post by Francesco Ross » Wed, 29 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
you must read ENCRYPTION.txt in samba directory. It explain how you can
convert /etc/passwd in a samba password file and then assign a password to a
user.
Bye

Quote:

> Hi Everyone,

> Currently I'm running RedHat 7.0 and I'm trying to get samba to work,
> but I came across a little problem and I've been dwelling on it for
> weeks now.  I know it's probably something simple, and it's right under
> my nose, but I'm not catching it.

> The problem is:

> After I set up my configuration file (included below), I run smbd and
> nmbd.  Afterwards, on the network my computer shows up and I'm able to
> access it, but no matter what username and password I put in, it would
> always tell me "Incorrect password or unknown username."  Every,
> username and password I've putted in are legit accounts on my linux box.

> Perhaps, there are some changes to RH7.0 compare to 6.0/6.1/6.2 that I'm
> not aware of?

> [global]
>  netbios name = name
>  server string = comment
>  workgroup = mygroup
>  encrypt passwords = Yes
>  log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
>  max log size = 0
>  socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
>  dns proxy = No
>  printing = lprng

> [homes]
>  comment = Home Directories
>  path = /home/%u
>  revalidate = Yes
>  writeable = Yes
>  browseable = No

> [printers]
>  comment = All Printers
>  path = /var/spool/samba
>  printable = Yes
>  browseable = No

> Thanks for all help,
> Dan

samba problem

Post by Dan » Wed, 29 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi Peter,

I got it!  It's the smbpasswd file which is located in /etc/samba (RH7.0
created a sepreate folder for samba stuff).
The problem was that I didn't have one (the smbpasswd), so I did this:

smbpassed -a user
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:

which, not only added "user" to the list, but also create the smbpasswd
file for me.
However, I wanted to know how can I get samba to use the valid users that
already exist on my Linux box.

Thanks for your time,
Dan

> Hi Dan,

> > always tell me "Incorrect password or unknown username."  Every,
> > username and password I've putted in are legit accounts on my linux
> > box.

> is there a file called smbpasswd.conf in /etc? You have to add the
> Sambauser to this file: "smbpasswd (-c) user" - use the "-c"-parameter
> if there is no smbpasswd. (smbpasswd stands for both, the program and
> the config-file)

> > [global]
> >  netbios name = name
> >  server string = comment
> >  workgroup = mygroup
> >  encrypt passwords = Yes

> and here maybe you need something like: security = user.
> man smb.conf is your friend.

> Greetings

> Peter

samba problem

Post by julien mill » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> Hi Peter,

> I got it!  It's the smbpasswd file which is located in /etc/samba (RH7.0
> created a sepreate folder for samba stuff).
> The problem was that I didn't have one (the smbpasswd), so I did this:

> smbpassed -a user
> New SMB password:
> Retype new SMB password:

> which, not only added "user" to the list, but also create the smbpasswd
> file for me.
> However, I wanted to know how can I get samba to use the valid users that
> already exist on my Linux box.

I can't find it now, but I believe there's a script which converts
your passwd file to an smbpasswd, but I can't find it.  However I should
add that the script didn't work for me, I had to enter each user.

1. Samba problems: Samba not in Network Neighborhood

I have (the latest) Samba installed and have two problems that I can't
seem to solve.

First, my setup: Machine 1 is linux/samba machine.  Machine 2 is Win
95 and Machine 3 is WfWG 3.11 with TCP/IP.  They connect with
ethernet.  All machines can ping each other and the other TCP stuff
works fine.

Machines 2 and 3 can mount each other's drives and printers fine.
Machine 2 can mount the Samba shares but only after I run the "Find
Computer" tool.  It doesn't appear in the Network Neighborhood with
the other machines.

I used smbclient to verify that Machine 1 can mount look at the shares
on all three machines and the Workgroup name is the same.

I was able to drag a shortcut into network neightborhood but that's
not the same as actually being there.

A possibly related problem is machine 3, the Win 3.11 one, cannot see
the samba shares at all.  The server doesn't appear.

Is there some Samba option that I don't have enabled?  With the Win 95
machine it's only annoying not having it in the Neighborhood but it is
entirely unusable from machine 3.  This I really need to fix.

BTW: One further problem I haven't looked at too closely: All the
mounted shares are done as "pcguest" and not as the username logged in
to win 95.  I have the same username/password on both machines.  Is
there a Win 95 option somewhere I need to change?

thanks, jv

    Graphics                "Purveyors to the Froup"

2. QIC-02 for PL8?!

3. Samba- Problem: path too long/ cvs- Problem: cvs import stucks

4. access permission to sound device

5. Very strange Samba problem - please advise

6. MotifZone.net - the site for Motif Developers (monthly post)

7. samba problem - only root can write - TIA

8. Serial >9600Baud

9. samba problem

10. Samba Problem

11. Samba problem...