Proxy-arp command not working

Post by mark.sid.. » Fri, 29 Sep 2000 04:00:00

I'm running Redhat 6.2, and have also tried this with 7.0.

I'm trying to set up a firewall host, using the method described in
the ProxyARP Subnetting HOWTO.  But, when I enter the following
command (where the "x"s are replaced by a real network IP address):

arp -i eth0 -Ds x.x.x.128 eth0 netmask 255.255.255.128 pub

I get this error:

SIOCSARP: Invalid argument

It seems like the arp program is incompatible with the kernel code
that handles the arp request message.

Basically, I'm trying to get the firewall to proxy-arp on behalf of
the hosts on the x.x.x.128 subnet.  Anyone got any idea why this isn't
working?

--
Mark Sidell
Chief Programmer

1. Does Proxy-ARP over Ethernet work, PLEASE?

: % Why Proxy ARP does not work?

: # arp -s aaa.bbb.ccc.144 00:C0:6C:54:91:10 pub

: and received the following response

: aaa.bbb.ccc.144: Protocol family not supported

I'm no arp expert myself, but I recently discovered the exact same error
message while trying to use arp. I later found that the binary of arp
which came with my version of slakware was bogus. I snagged a newer build
of arp off a friend's system and now arp seems to work fine. BTW, I also
tried the arp in NetTools1.2.tgz and it did not work, in fact the
ifconfig and arp, and other utilities in there were quite incompatible
with my installation if Linux. Beats me why, but I figure it is worth
mentioning.

Good luck!

2. X windows cannot switch to any one virtual console

3. Proxy arp not working in Linux

4. Linux with HP Laserjet III

5. does proxy arp not work in solaris 2.3 or 2.4?

6. DHCP/firewall/router Setup, but not Telnet

7. Proxy arp does not work

8. Apostrophe

9. proxy arp not working in ppp session

10. ppp connection proxy arp not working

11. arp command does not work!

12. I can not get ARP to work, even though /proc/net/arp is correct!

13. Proxy arp (how to add an arp entry)