connect linux to unix server via serial port

connect linux to unix server via serial port

Post by Wayne Mino » Sun, 25 Feb 2001 13:11:58



I'm trying to learn how to connect a mandrake-linux 7.2 to our mainframe at
work which is a unix box. The terminals connect through a serial port. On
our windows boxes we have software that causes the connection to work(like
an advanced telnet connection). I would assume that I could cause a telnet
connection through the com port in linux without any additional software but
I don't have a clue how to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
 
 
 

connect linux to unix server via serial port

Post by Dean Thompso » Sun, 25 Feb 2001 13:17:40


Hi Wayne,

Quote:> I'm trying to learn how to connect a mandrake-linux 7.2 to our mainframe at
> work which is a unix box. The terminals connect through a serial port. On
> our windows boxes we have software that causes the connection to work(like
> an advanced telnet connection). I would assume that I could cause a telnet
> connection through the com port in linux without any additional software
> but I don't have a clue how to start. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

> thanks

If you are directly connected to the mainframe via a RS232 cable or some other
method like that rather than using a network card, then you will have to use a
package like "minicom", "kermit" or "seyon".  These packages will allow you to
connect to a host via a serial port.  You just have to make sure that you get
the speed right.  In most cases it is: 9600-N-8-1.

See ya

Dean Thompson

--
+______________________________+____________________________________________+

|   Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180                         |
|   PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>                     |
|   School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)    |
|   MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077                  |
|   Melbourne, Australia       |                                            |
+------------------------------+--------------------------------------------+

 
 
 

connect linux to unix server via serial port

Post by Wayne Mino » Sun, 25 Feb 2001 13:29:10


Thanks. I'll give it a shot at work tomorrow.


Quote:

> Hi Wayne,

> > I'm trying to learn how to connect a mandrake-linux 7.2 to our mainframe
at
> > work which is a unix box. The terminals connect through a serial port.
On
> > our windows boxes we have software that causes the connection to
work(like
> > an advanced telnet connection). I would assume that I could cause a
telnet
> > connection through the com port in linux without any additional software
> > but I don't have a clue how to start. Any help would be greatly
> > appreciated.

> > thanks

> If you are directly connected to the mainframe via a RS232 cable or some
other
> method like that rather than using a network card, then you will have to
use a
> package like "minicom", "kermit" or "seyon".  These packages will allow
you to
> connect to a host via a serial port.  You just have to make sure that you
get
> the speed right.  In most cases it is: 9600-N-8-1.

> See ya

> Dean Thompson

> --

+______________________________+____________________________________________
+
Quote:> |   Dean Thompson              | E-mail  -


Quote:> |   Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180
|
> |   PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>
|
> |   School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)
|
> |   MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077
|
> |   Melbourne, Australia       |
|

+------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
+
 
 
 

connect linux to unix server via serial port

Post by John To » Mon, 26 Feb 2001 08:04:23


        Or if you are impatient, try
cu -l /dev/ttySx    
        and see what happens.

On Sat, 24 Feb 2001 04:11:58 GMT, Wayne Minor


>I'm trying to learn how to connect a mandrake-linux 7.2 to our mainframe at
>work which is a unix box. The terminals connect through a serial port. On
>our windows boxes we have software that causes the connection to work(like
>an advanced telnet connection). I would assume that I could cause a telnet
>connection through the com port in linux without any additional software but
>I don't have a clue how to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>thanks

--
_____________________

The lap of Linuxury
|<de in RH6.0

 
 
 

1. Connecting to Sun server via serial port?

I need to get into a Sun Server that is no longer on the
network. The server does not have its own keyboard and
monitor.
A serial connection is my best option.
The question is...
can I use a standard null modem cable and telnet program to
make this connection or does Sun need something special?

TIA
<Remove the spam to reply>

2. at in c-shell under 4.1.3_U1

3. Connecting to a Sparc Server via the serial port?

4. FTP Trouble

5. wyse 50 term emulation for connecting win95 pc's to unix server via serial?

6. nfs tuning

7. connect Win98 to Linux via serial ports ?

8. How to wake-on-lan ?

9. Connect linux laptop to Sparc10 via serial port

10. Connecting and 8088 to my Linux box via serial ports

11. Linux - Windows connect via serial ports?

12. Connect linux laptop to Sparc10 via serial port

13. Linux to UNIX LAN via serial port