Linux Firewall in Microsoft Network

Post by Mark Ferra » Sat, 01 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hey guys,

        Here is my situation: My company is in the process of getting a direct
internet connection, and we are considering putting in a firewall.  We use NT/
95 machines in the office and NT servers.  We are considering using linux as a
firewall between the internet and our in-house network.  Here are a few
questions I have.

        1) Can I do this?
        2) I don't want everyone to have accounts on the linux box, do I need
           to give accounts to make a proxy server work?

Thanks for your help,
Mark

Linux Firewall in Microsoft Network

Post by nate dutr » Sat, 01 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Hey guys,

>    Here is my situation: My company is in the process of getting a direct
> internet connection, and we are considering putting in a firewall.  We
use NT/
> 95 machines in the office and NT servers.  We are considering using linux
as a
> firewall between the internet and our in-house network.  Here are a few
> questions I have.

>    1) Can I do this?

Yes.

Quote:>    2) I don't want everyone to have accounts on the linux box, do I need
>       to give accounts to make a proxy server work?

As long as you set up the proxy server to put incoming mail to your mail
server internally.  I've never done this but I'm pretty darn sure it's
possible :-)

--

I do not speak for Epic Systems Corporation...man!

Post by Wolfgang Muelle » Sun, 02 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Hey guys,

>         Here is my situation: My company is in the process of getting a direct
> internet connection, and we are considering putting in a firewall.  We use NT/
> 95 machines in the office and NT servers.  We are considering using linux as a
> firewall between the internet and our in-house network.  Here are a few
> questions I have.

>         1) Can I do this?
>         2) I don't want everyone to have accounts on the linux box, do I need
>            to give accounts to make a proxy server work?

> Thanks for your help,
> Mark

shure, it IS possible and no problem to configure. use your linuxBox as
a packet-filter with 'ipfwadm' and as a proxy with 'the firewall
toolkit' or even 'squid'. There is a howto aviable somewhere which

regards
Hugo

Post by Erick Thomps » Sun, 02 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>> Hey guys,

>>         Here is my situation: My company is in the process of getting a direct
>> internet connection, and we are considering putting in a firewall.  We use NT/
>> 95 machines in the office and NT servers.  We are considering using linux as a
>> firewall between the internet and our in-house network.  Here are a few
>> questions I have.

>>         1) Can I do this?
>>         2) I don't want everyone to have accounts on the linux box, do I need
>>            to give accounts to make a proxy server work?

>> Thanks for your help,
>> Mark

>shure, it IS possible and no problem to configure. use your linuxBox as
>a packet-filter with 'ipfwadm' and as a proxy with 'the firewall
>toolkit' or even 'squid'. There is a howto aviable somewhere which

At the company I work for I decided to go with this solution. It works
quite well, and wasn't too bad in setting up. With ipfwadm, the
configuration can be set to be very secure, and you don't need to deal
with proxy servers. While the proxy may give you better security, I'm
not to sure that it will. The ipfwadm can only allow outgoing tcp
connections, and only to certain ports, etc. As well, the system we
are using is a 386sx/16 with 8 megs of ram. That seems to be more the
enough to saturate our 128k frame relay.

Good luck,
Erick Thompson

1. Microsoft Firewall does not block Internet traffic -- MICROSOFT.COM

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306203   --  May 13 2003

Internet Connection FIREWALL and Basic FIREWALL DO NOT BLOCK Internet
Protocol Version 6 TRAFFIC

     * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 64-Bit Datacenter Edition
     * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 64-Bit Enterprise Edition
     * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition
     * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
     * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
     * Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
     * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003
     * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2002
     * Microsoft Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2002 SP1
     * Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
     * Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP1
     * Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
     * Microsoft Windows XP Professional
     * Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1
     * Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

SYMPTOMS

With Microsoft Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) installed and Internet
Connection Firewall (ICF) or Basic Firewall enabled, the firewall
filters Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4) traffic, but the basic
firewall and the ICF does not block or filter IPv6 traffic.

---

TO WORK AROUND THIS BEHAVIOR, OBTAIN FIREWALL SOFTWARE THAT CAN FILTER
AND BLOCK IPV6 TRAFFIC.
....... unquote .......

2. Jobs, Jobs, Jobs And More Jobs!!!

3. Setting up firewall for dial-ins: How?

4. Mulitple IPs? and proxy ftp question

5. Converting text files from Microsoft to Linux and Linux to Microsoft

6. mount: RPC: program not registered

7. Linux/Microsoft network--Linux not working--HELP!

8. File table overflow. Why?

9. linux firewall and microsoft exchange

10. how to configure proxy/firewall linux client for Microsoft ISA Server?

11. Browse using Microsoft file services via a Linux firewall

12. Linux Firewall & Microsoft PPTP (VPN) Problem.

13. Linux Firewall, Leased Line, Microsoft VPN server problem