PKERNEL: Warning: RPC/UDP receive queue are full, packet dropping

PKERNEL: Warning: RPC/UDP receive queue are full, packet dropping

Post by Ming Ya » Fri, 29 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hi! I am running a Novell 3.12 Server (25 users) with NFS module 1.27b and
TCP/IP module loaded. I have 2 Linux 1.2.11 hosts connecting to the Novell
Server and from the 2 Linux hosts, I can use NFS to mount volumes on the
Novell Server without any problem.

I am running some applications on the 2 Linux hosts accessing the Novell
file systems mounted via NFS for more than 3 years with no NFS errors.

But recently (I did not add or modify my applications on Linux or touch
the Novell server) the Novell server reports large amount of error
message on PKERNEL.NLM, and the error says:

   PKERNEL: Warning: RPC/UDP receive queue are full, packet dropping

This error message appears 3 to 6 times per second and flooded the screen.
The Novell server also fails to accept new connections and all existing
connections (including NFS) are also stalled. When I did a "down" on
the system console, it hangs for a long time and I have to cold boot.

I have gone thr' all the manuals and FAQs and cannot find any related
cure for the above problem, but I think it is related to NFS, because
when I shutdown the 2 Linux hosts, the error message stops.

Can anyone direct me or give me some clue on how to avoid this problem?

TIA
Ming

1. How to receive UDP and ICMP packet using one UDP socket, (Path MTUD)

Dear All,

Can we configure one socket to receive two different protocols packet.
Like how can we made a UDP socket to receive udp as well as icmp
messages.

Actually I am implementing Path MTUD, so for that I sent some udp
probs to destination host, now I want that the same socket at client
side must be able to receive both udp response and icmp error
messages(like host unreachable, port unreachable etc).

Another approach is that, we will use two sockets for both source and
destination, form source we will send udp probs(through udp socket)
while at destination host, after receiving that prob(through udp
socket), application will make an icmp packet and sent it back to the
source host (using ICMP socket). And here at source host, that message
and other icmp error messages will be received by icmp socket.

But this approch dosen't look efficient to me, what u people say? If
Any one has another approch plz let me know.

Eagerly waiting for some +ve pings.

2. Details of Installation Software Configuration Options

3. Flush the UDP receive queue

4. Radiance on Linux Alpha

5. How can i tell how full UDP receive buffer is - Solaris7?

6. Why I am getting two IP addresses when I connect to my work through VPN

7. ppp drops received packets with 'fcs' error

8. Nashville, TN C++ Windows development

9. win2000 drops packets received from linux!

10. RFC: per-socket statistics on received/dropped packets

11. Firewall dropping Kazaa UDP packets it shouldn't -- Need help

12. recvfrom():how to receive multiple UDP packets.

13. dmesg error. iptables full, dropping packet