Netgear FA311 ethernet card Not working

Post by Ramin Sin » Wed, 09 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,
Despite what is advertised on its box, netgear FA311 cards don't work
with Linux (Atleast not with kernel 2.2.*) Tulip driver doesn't work
with it. It comes with it's own linux driver that was written for 2.0.36
and does not compile under Red Hat 6.2. Could someone please confirm
this assessment;and are there any solutions to fix this?

Thanks,
Ramin Sina
--
-

Post by Peter Teube » Wed, 09 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> Hi all,
> Despite what is advertised on its box, netgear FA311 cards don't work
> with Linux (Atleast not with kernel 2.2.*) Tulip driver doesn't work
> with it. It comes with it's own linux driver that was written for 2.0.36
> and does not compile under Red Hat 6.2. Could someone please confirm
> this assessment;and are there any solutions to fix this?

did you check new drivers tulip.c at Becker's website
on www.scyld.com? I've had to do this twice already this week.
Like Netgear, Linksys seems to be equally irresponsible, and not
check their newers cards (they update the firmware/hardware and
old drivers don't work. E.g. for the latest Linksys LNE100TX
i had to use tulip.c V0.91g, the vanilla 0.91 did not work,
you may also need the latest beta driver.

It's a little involved, the website explains it, you also need
to insmod a new pci-scan.o

peter

Netgear FA311 ethernet card Not working

Post by dids » Tue, 15 Aug 2000 04:00:00

i have a 310 working fine with the tulip module working with Suse6.4. I did
compile the one on the disk once before, but i havent copied it over yet
onto my new machine.

dids

Quote:> Hi all,
> Despite what is advertised on its box, netgear FA311 cards don't work
> with Linux (Atleast not with kernel 2.2.*) Tulip driver doesn't work
> with it. It comes with it's own linux driver that was written for 2.0.36
> and does not compile under Red Hat 6.2. Could someone please confirm
> this assessment;and are there any solutions to fix this?

> Thanks,
> Ramin Sina
> --
> -

Netgear FA311 ethernet card Not working

Post by Donald Beck » Mon, 21 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi all,
>Despite what is advertised on its box, netgear FA311 cards don't work
>with Linux (Atleast not with kernel 2.2.*) Tulip driver doesn't work
>with it. It comes with it's own linux driver that was written for 2.0.36
>and does not compile under Red Hat 6.2. Could someone please confirm
>this assessment;and are there any solutions to fix this?

A driver for released kernels (1.1.73 through 2.2.*) is at
 http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html
   ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/network/natsemi.c

Don't forget that you will also need 'pci-scan' support.

A pre-2.4 version should be in the latest development kernels.

The Netgear bogusness Isn't My Fault.

--

Scyld Computing Corporation             http://www.scyld.com
410 Severn Ave. Suite 210               Beowulf Clusters / Linux Installations

Post by A E Lawrenc » Mon, 21 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> >Hi all,
> >Despite what is advertised on its box, netgear FA311 cards don't work
> >with Linux (Atleast not with kernel 2.2.*) Tulip driver doesn't work
> >with it. It comes with it's own linux driver that was written for 2.0.36
> >and does not compile under Red Hat 6.2. Could someone please confirm
> >this assessment;and are there any solutions to fix this?

> A driver for released kernels (1.1.73 through 2.2.*) is at
>  http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html
>    ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/network/natsemi.c

> Don't forget that you will also need 'pci-scan' support.

> A pre-2.4 version should be in the latest development kernels.

Donald's natsemi.c driver works with FA311s on a couple of machines
here. First experiments show a very low throughput which I need to
investigate. I suppose that turning on debug is the first step. I am
using "natsemi.c:v1.05 8/7/2000".

ael
--
A E Lawrence (from home)

Post by A E Lawrenc » Tue, 22 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> > >Hi all,
> > >Despite what is advertised on its box, netgear FA311 cards don't work
> > >with Linux (Atleast not with kernel 2.2.*) Tulip driver doesn't work
> > >with it. It comes with it's own linux driver that was written for 2.0.36
> > >and does not compile under Red Hat 6.2. Could someone please confirm
> > >this assessment;and are there any solutions to fix this?

> > A driver for released kernels (1.1.73 through 2.2.*) is at
> >  http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html
> >    ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/network/natsemi.c

> > Don't forget that you will also need 'pci-scan' support.

> > A pre-2.4 version should be in the latest development kernels.

> Donald's natsemi.c driver works with FA311s on a couple of machines
> here. First experiments show a very low throughput which I need to
> investigate. I suppose that turning on debug is the first step. I am
> using "natsemi.c:v1.05 8/7/2000".

This follow up is to add some more information:-

1) The Netgear fa311.c compiles and installs under 2.2.16.
2) As noted above, so also does Donald's natsemi.c

However, I have 3 FA311 cards, and there appear to be non deterministic
problems with both the above drivers, under Windoze95, Windoze98 and the
Netgear DIAG utility.
I have checked and changed cables, swapped FA311 cards, tried a direct
connection between two FA311 cards with a cross-over cable, turned on
debugging in Donald's driver and cahnged IRQ allocation, pci slots and
much else.

On one occasion I achieved a fairly fast transfer (around 2.3 MB/s)
without errors, but in most cases  errors occur and the transfer rate
throttles back to almost zero. Quite often ifconfig reports framing and
carrier errors. But not always. Small ping transfers usually succeed: I
do not know if that correlates with the size of the packet.

Transfer under Windoze is painfully slow, but no errors are reported,
but then doze wouldn't want to frighten the poor user would it? It too
occasionally hangs.

Netgear's DIAG program also sometimes reports errors including failure
of the connection, even when there are just 2 FA311 directly connected
by a cross-over cable. The FA311 seems to have he ability to cahnge its
MAC address for soem reason. Sometimes the DIAG program reports what is
clearly the corect address (in the Netgear assigned range), but at otheR
times reports 00 00 00 00 or ff ff ff ff. In these cases, the cards
won't connect at all.

This all seems to me to suggest a firmware or hardware problem, very
possibly a race (given the non determinism) in the PCI interface. It
seems unlikely that all 3 drivers would have similar bugs.

Maybe there is something peculiar about the motherboards that I am using
and their PCI buses, but one is an ASUS and te other a Gigabyte (models
not to hand), but both are respected and have been rock solid for a
couple of years.

Is anyone using the FA311 successfully? Has the natsemi.c driver been
tested extensively.

Adrian
--
Dr A E Lawrence (from home with apologies for spam enhanced reply
address)

Netgear FA311 ethernet card Not working

Post by David N. Hane » Tue, 22 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I also have the FA311.  I tried the fa311.c provided by Netgear without
success.  Donald Becker recently created a new version of natsemi.c
which I have found to work fabulously.  I have no problem with
errors or speed.  My system has the following configuration:
Compaq 7260 (AMD K6-2) and Netgear 311.  The Netgear connects
to a 10BT HUB which is connected to the rest of my small network
via thinnet.  Thus it is clearly running at the 10BT speed.  I dont
know what would happen if you tell it to run at 100BT, but I am
very happy with it so far.  The machine came with Win98 and the
Netgear provided driver works fine there also.  The only thing that
did not work was the Linux code (taken from Don) fa311.c.

--
#########              David N. Haney, Ph.D.                 #########
#  Haney Associates                            Phone - 858-483-1197  #

#################                                #####################

Post by A E Lawrenc » Wed, 23 Aug 2000 14:57:00

> I also have the FA311.  I tried the fa311.c provided by Netgear without
> success.

As I said, no problems here with fa311.c version v1.04.

[snip]

Quote:> I have no problem with
> errors or speed.  My system has the following configuration:
> Compaq 7260 (AMD K6-2) and Netgear 311.  The Netgear connects
> to a 10BT HUB which is connected to the rest of my small network
> via thinnet.  Thus it is clearly running at the 10BT speed.

I had very little problem at 10Mb/s.

Quote:>I dont
> know what would happen if you tell it to run at 100BT, but I am
> very happy with it so far.

So you may yet encounter the difficulties :-)

Thanks for the information.

ael
--
Dr A E Lawrence (from home with apologies for spam enhanced reply
address)

Netgear FA311 ethernet card Not working

Post by @hom » Fri, 25 Aug 2000 13:54:36

Ok, I'm a little confused here. Did you get the fa311.c to work successfully
or not? Your last post seems to indicate you did, but your previous post
indicates you had lots of problems with it. Also, where did you get fa311 v
1.4?

Post by David N. Hane » Fri, 25 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> > I also have the FA311.  I tried the fa311.c provided by Netgear without
> > success.

Dr. AE Lawrence:

I'm sorry I seem to have lost your correct email.  I respect your
interest in slowing the relentless SPAMMERs.  Since I have not
yet tested the FA311 at 100BT, you are right I may run into problems.
This machine is destined for my son's dorm room where I think they
have 100BT.

Could you please update me on how to deal with the problems:
eg get Netgear to replace the card with on that works, or eat
the loss and get ???  Is it possible to tell the card to use
10BT on a 100BT network?

Quote:> I had very little problem at 10Mb/s.

> >I dont
> > know what would happen if you tell it to run at 100BT, but I am
> > very happy with it so far.

> So you may yet encounter the difficulties :-)
> Dr A E Lawrence (from home with apologies for spam enhanced reply
> address)

Thanks for the help.

--

Post by A E Lawrenc » Sun, 27 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> Ok, I'm a little confused here. Did you get the fa311.c to work successfully
> or not? Your last post seems to indicate you did, but your previous post
> indicates you had lots of problems with it. Also, where did you get fa311 v
> 1.4?

Sorry. It wasn't very clear. And as I investigated further, more
problems showed up.

1) There were no problems compiling and installing fa311 as a module
under 2.2.16.

2) And the card then functioned sometimes. It looked as if it was
autonegotiation that failed: even when both ends of the link agreed on
the protocol, they would not necessary operate.

3) When I used Donald's natsemi driver, the performance was rather
better, but the same sorts of failure happened. In that case they could
be investigated with his mii-diag and natsemi-diag utilities which are
available from his website.

4) Since two FA311's would seldom work back-to-back with a cross over
cable, and if they did agree to communicate the bandwidth was almost
always very low, I decided to reject the cards and exchange them for
FX310TXs. That is a tulip design, but since looking at the tulip mailing
list archives, I may have made a mistake in staying with NetGear :-(

The 311 is based on a newish National semiconductor chip, and I
speculate that the problem resides there. I would advise people to stay
away from the FA311 until the problem has been identified and fixed.

ael
--
Dr A E Lawrence (from home)

Netgear FA311 ethernet card Not working

Post by A E Lawrenc » Sun, 27 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> > > I also have the FA311.  I tried the fa311.c provided by Netgear without
> > > success.
> Dr. AE Lawrence:

> I'm sorry I seem to have lost your correct email.  I respect your

I believe that SPAM orginally stood for SPiced hAM :-) So just remove
the SPAM.

ael
--
Dr A E Lawrence (from home with apologies for spam enhanced reply
address)

Netgear FA311 ethernet card Not working

Post by Dances with Turtle » Mon, 28 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I thought that I'd throw my 2 cents in.  I posted ta problem Saturday
with the
FA311 but didn't see your thread.   MY FA311 is working, as you put it
somewhat
slow, but working.

I used the module that Netgear provided with RedHat 6.2.  I am noting a
number of
errors, one-to-one with packets sent, and they appear to be carrier
errors.  I'm running
a 100MB ethernet through a Linksys Switch.

When you stated that your card ran slow, were you using a switch, a hub
or as you mentioned
twisted cable??  My experience with twisted cable has never been that
great.  Others may object,
but for the price of a switch these dasy, it is worth it to me.

Funny thing, you say that you made the mistake of staying with
Netgrear.  I spent nearly 16 hours,
some with tech support trying to get the newest Linksys 110LNETX V4.1 up
and running to no avail.
I returned it and got the Netgear and had it running (minus this
problem) in 10 minutes. Just remember,
it isn't you, it's the vendors who don't support Linux.

> > Ok, I'm a little confused here. Did you get the fa311.c to work successfully
> > or not? Your last post seems to indicate you did, but your previous post
> > indicates you had lots of problems with it. Also, where did you get fa311 v
> > 1.4?

> Sorry. It wasn't very clear. And as I investigated further, more
> problems showed up.

> 1) There were no problems compiling and installing fa311 as a module
> under 2.2.16.

> 2) And the card then functioned sometimes. It looked as if it was
> autonegotiation that failed: even when both ends of the link agreed on
> the protocol, they would not necessary operate.

> 3) When I used Donald's natsemi driver, the performance was rather
> better, but the same sorts of failure happened. In that case they could
> be investigated with his mii-diag and natsemi-diag utilities which are
> available from his website.

> 4) Since two FA311's would seldom work back-to-back with a cross over
> cable, and if they did agree to communicate the bandwidth was almost
> always very low, I decided to reject the cards and exchange them for
> FX310TXs. That is a tulip design, but since looking at the tulip mailing
> list archives, I may have made a mistake in staying with NetGear :-(

> The 311 is based on a newish National semiconductor chip, and I
> speculate that the problem resides there. I would advise people to stay
> away from the FA311 until the problem has been identified and fixed.

> ael
> --
> Dr A E Lawrence (from home)

Netgear FA311 ethernet card Not working

Post by Barry Furniva » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 10:16:41

I, too, got my FA311 to work! What I was doing wrong: Starting Linux from Win98
using loadlin. I was doing this because I couldn't get the boot menu I setup in
config.sys to work. I solved the menu problem with help from the newsgroup by
putting the loadlin command in the autoexec.bat instead of the config.sys file.
Rebooted, selected Linux on the boot menu, and viola! Linux came up and the
FA311 configured and has worked fine since. My guess: Win98 configures the card
for itself and doesn't unconfigure it when I run loadlin.

> I kept at it and I did get my FA311 to work!

> I formatted my Linux partition and reinstalled Caldera Desktop 2.4.

> Downloaded and compiled natsemi and pci-scan.

> Moved files to net directory and added them to my modules.default file.

> Rebooted Linux and used COAS to set ip addresses.

> Seems to work fine although I have to set ip addresses via COAS each time I
> boot the machine.  (Don't know how to fix this yet - Newbie issues).

> NOTE: I did not add the 'Alias' line as instructed.

> I can ftp, and ping fine...still working to perfect samba though.

> So there is hope!  Don't toss that card!

> John

> > I am also having problems with the fa311. I am running SuSE 6.4. I
> > downloaded and built the natsemi.c driver along with the pci-scan
> > driver. I moved the driver into /lib/modules/2.2.14/net and tested the
> > driver using insmod. Everything loaded and seemed to be fine I added
> > the 'alias eth0 natsemi' line to the /etc/modules.conf file and
> > rebooted. When the network tried to come up I got the following error
> > twice:
> > SIOCSIFFLAGS: resource temporarily unavailable

> > lsmod shows that natsemi is loaded and ifconfig shows that eth0 is
> > configured, but it does have a hardware address (mac) of 000000.
> > Any ideas?

> > Barry

> > 2.0.36

> > > A driver for released kernels (1.1.73 through 2.2.*) is at
> > >  http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html
> > >    ftp://www.scyld.com/pub/network/natsemi.c

> > > Don't forget that you will also need 'pci-scan' support.

> > > A pre-2.4 version should be in the latest development kernels.

> > > The Netgear bogusness Isn't My Fault.

> > > --

> > > Scyld Computing Corporation http://www.scyld.com
> > > 410 Severn Ave. Suite 210 Beowulf Clusters / Linux
> > Installations
> > > Annapolis MD 21403

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Barry J. Furnival
K1BJF
Jaffrey, NH

New Hampshire: Live, Freeze, and Die
Lord, save me from your followers

1. Netgear FA311 ethernet card Not working

I also got a FA311. There is a new driver at
http://www.netgear-support.com/ts/drivers.html (just enter fa311 ...)
that compiles fine (you probably should remove the fa311.o first, and
rename all the filenames to lowercase).
But I got a strange problem with it. It all works fine in text mode, but
as soon as I do a startx or init 3 it stops working till I reboot the
machine. btw. I'm using SuSE Linux.
I just wonder has anyone a FA311 that works under Linux?

Clemens

2. Linux with AOpen AP5C/P or AP5V?

3. NetGear FA311 ethernet card and RH7

4. STT-Mailgate: *.linux.*

5. Netgear FA311 Ethernet card

6. Solaris 10/x86 fails to boot after updates

7. RH 7.1 doesn't recognize NetGear FA311 card

8. XTerminal

9. A new driver for Netgear fa311 netcard working on RedHat Linux 7 + kernel 2.4

10. natsemi.c (Netgear FA311 card) probmlems??

11. NetGear FA311 doesn't work

12. Problems with Netgear fa311 PCI Net Cards

13. I made a new driver for Netgear fa311 netcard working on RedHat Linux 7 + kernel 2.4: