IP for masqueraded net other than masquerading host IP

IP for masqueraded net other than masquerading host IP

Post by Klaus Johann Kreine » Sun, 22 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hello

I have a linux box which should work as router for two subnets to the internet.
One subnet has valid IP addresses but the other subnet with private IPs has to be masqueraded. Is it possible to masquerade this subnet with an IP address from the other subnet or with the IP of the router port which is connected to the valid subnet and not with the IP address of the router port which is connected to the internet which is the default?

regards
Klaus

IP for masqueraded net other than masquerading host IP

Post by David K. Mean » Wed, 25 Oct 2000 13:13:20

The masquerading (and forwarding) code uses all the information available to
it
when making route decisions, so the cleanest way I can see to achieve the
result
you ask for is to put a second Linux box in between your router and the
private
network.  This masquerade box then will have a valid IP address on your
internal
subnet, so all of the masqueraded traffic will appear to come from there;
the
router then will only have to deal with the problem of forwarding (and
perhaps
filtering) the traffic, and not faking up the source address of the
masquraded stuff.

Quote:> Hello

> I have a linux box which should work as router for two subnets to the
internet.
> One subnet has valid IP addresses but the other subnet with private IPs

has to be masqueraded. Is it possible to masquerade this subnet with an IP
address from the other subnet or with the IP of the router port which is
connected to the valid subnet and not with the IP address of the router port
which is connected to the internet which is the default?
Quote:

> regards
> Klaus

1. IP Masquerading - Can't use Host names only IP address

I got IP Masquerading working fairly easy.  The Howto's recommended trying
an IP address to see if it work, and it does.  But, when I try an internet
site with a host name it won't connect.  The other machine connected to my
Linux box is using Win98.  This may be just a simple setting?  I'm not sure
how to correct this problem.  I'm assuming it has something to do with the
firewall setting when you activate IP Masquerading?  Thanks in advance for
all the help.

                                                        Ed

2. {filename completion, history} in ksh

3. LINUX IP Masquerading works on dsl.net, not ameritech.net?

4. isapnp.conf file not showing up.

5. IP Masquerading works, but does not masquerade from within the local network

6. Added SCSI Zip: now can't boot

7. IP MASQuerading NOT Masquerading?

8. Best configuration for Linux

9. Backup scripts, IP firewalling and IP masquerading

10. IP NAT and IP Masquerading

11. Ip-Masquerade and games over the net...what am I doing wrong????????

12. IP-Chains vs. IP-Masquerade