Question...

Post by Led » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi I got a question here.

I connect my computer on the school local net, and in windows, I don't
set any proxy or anything, and I can connect to the internet... so, in
linux, it will do the samething?

Question...

Post by Rick Onania » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> Hi I got a question here.

> I connect my computer on the school local net, and in windows, I don't
> set any proxy or anything, and I can connect to the internet... so, in
> linux, it will do the samething?

You have tcp/ip connection? There must be something that you set in
Windows. Whatever that is, is what you need to set in Linux. Usually,
it's either DHCP (which automatically gets all the network info for you)
or your IP, netmask, DNSs, hostname/domain name, etc..

Linux is very good at networking.

--
  rick - a guy in search of raw (ISO) cd images of SuSE and Slackware
---------------

Question...

Post by Duane Elmer Smecker » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

First, a gentle hand slap for the benefit of all the lurkers.

NEVER post anything with a subject like that!

The best thing about news is that one answer solves a
dozen peoples issues.  If you are looking for an
answer, look at the subjects for help.

Your subject should have been
   Automatic network configuration
or something similarly useful.

Ok, back on topic.

Windows has to have several things set up to do network
connections.  It has to know where to find its own IP address,
it has to know where to find name servers, and it has to know
what kind of interface it is using.

When you connect to the school net, what do you do?
You could plug in an Ethernet cable, or you could dial
up on the telephone.  There are other possibilities,
but these are the most likely.

>Hi I got a question here.

>I connect my computer on the school local net, and in windows, I don't
>set any proxy or anything, and I can connect to the internet... so, in
>linux, it will do the samething?

Question...

Post by Led » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Ok fot the Topic! eh! I was wondering what was the probleme! And you solve
it, automatic net conectoin!

So, at school I connect on the cable...

> First, a gentle hand slap for the benefit of all the lurkers.

> NEVER post anything with a subject like that!

> The best thing about news is that one answer solves a
> dozen peoples issues.  If you are looking for an
> answer, look at the subjects for help.

> Your subject should have been
>    Automatic network configuration
> or something similarly useful.

> Ok, back on topic.

> Windows has to have several things set up to do network
> connections.  It has to know where to find its own IP address,
> it has to know where to find name servers, and it has to know
> what kind of interface it is using.

> When you connect to the school net, what do you do?
> You could plug in an Ethernet cable, or you could dial
> up on the telephone.  There are other possibilities,
> but these are the most likely.

> >Hi I got a question here.

> >I connect my computer on the school local net, and in windows, I don't
> >set any proxy or anything, and I can connect to the internet... so, in
> >linux, it will do the samething?

1. Mini-Linux Distribution Questions + General Questions + UMSDOS Questions

Basically I have recently installed the Mini-Linux distribution (from
sunsite.unc.edu) on my box  (486 66, 12Mb, Limited HDD space), and it
works and installs fine, runs fine.... Great I thought, lets install
on several other PC's - Install on another 486d266 - won't even start
- LOADLIN doesn't even begin decompressing the kernal......
Then try a 486dx4100, this time it decompresses kernal and starts
linux startup, and comes up with a HDD sector size too big (its a
544Mb drive) and says "Giving up"..... Linux doesn't start at all.
Anyone else got an experience with this (the mini-linux distribution
is 1.0.9 kernal I think)

Next On the PC that mini-linux runs on, X won't start - cannot start
my graphics card (its an Advance Logic card, Vesa compatible).  Anyone
know how to fix this?

I run mini-linux for several reasons, the main one being the lack of
HDD space (I have 20Mb free without mini-linux, 0.5Mb with), howver I
have heard that the latest distributions include UMSDOS, so now onto
the UMSDOS questions:

Which kernal works best with UMSDOS, and will fit in 20Mb, with the
majority of data residing on CD?

Do the latest linux kernals support a SB16 and panasonic double speed
CD?  Also are NEC drives supported (a mate has one of these)

Basically I cannot delete my  DOS partition, as my family cannot use
linux to save their lives, and love MS word, so I need UMSDOS, so both
can happily reside on one partition (I don't want to partition)

Also does UMSDOS have any problem booting off a d: drive (I am
installing another 100Mb drive to try to alleviate the space problem)

Right thats it......
Thanks for your help and I apologize for the bad spelling in some
places (my software don't spell check).

IMPORTANT:  My news feed is knackered, so can replyies be by mail as
well as news please?

Dan (Linux newbie)

2. ksh: 'unset' variables in 'regexp-like' fashion?

3. Questions, questions questions

4. Managing Sun Patches - Strategy & Tools

5. 3 issues --- 1-Gnome Question, 2-CDRom Detect Question, 3-IMLIB Question

6. Linux remote Login

7. Questions Questions Questions ???

8. Newbie : Modem & Internet Config

9. Questions, Questions, and more Questions..

10. 3 issues --- 1-Gnome Question, 2-CDRom Detect Question, 3-IMLIB Question

11. Newbie Questions (ICEWM Background, ppp question, mem > 64mb)

12. sar Question (probably a newbie question)

13. A followup question to "A C question (about strlen)"