Can I network 286's to Linux server?

Post by P. Bee » Sun, 08 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I'd like to know if I can network 286's to a Linux server.
Specifically, I'd like to be able to do introductory "C" programming,
and some word processing from the 286's.  (This is in a classroom.)

The 286's have 40 MB hard drives, and the server would probably be a
P100.

Any specific recommendations for software?  Any advice on how to
approach this?

Thanks for your time.

Can I network 286's to Linux server?

Post by Glenn Butche » Sun, 08 Nov 1998 04:00:00

When I first installed my home LAN, the kids each used a '286 to send
and receive e-mail, using a program calle POPMail.  The Linux box in the
ba*t did the mail forwarding for everyone (still does).  We've moved
on to '386s and '486s (I like to ride the trailing edge of technology -
much cheaper, if not free!!!).  POPMail had its own TCP/IP stack built
in, which worked fine with Linux TCP/IP.  I've tried to install and
configure the TCP/IP stack that comes with Microsoft's MS-DOS Client
software, but to no avail.  That would let you access Samba shares.
Don't know of any MS-DOS NFS software - the other alternative.  I've
also used NCSA Telnet on the '286s to telnet into the Linux box.

Really depends on what sort of network services you want to provide...

Glenn Butcher

> I'd like to know if I can network 286's to a Linux server.
> Specifically, I'd like to be able to do introductory "C" programming,
> and some word processing from the 286's.  (This is in a classroom.)

> The 286's have 40 MB hard drives, and the server would probably be a
> P100.

> Any specific recommendations for software?  Any advice on how to
> approach this?

> Thanks for your time.

Can I network 286's to Linux server?

Post by Eugene Nin » Sun, 08 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Linux has to be on a 386 or above.  You may look into ELKS for the 286's, I
got it to boot up once, but never got around to seeing if It could do
networking.  I have a couple 286's that I use MS dos networking from the
clients directory on the NT server CD.  I can access NT drives, and I Dl'ed
the Lynx Web browser so maybe I can run sort of an Intranet from the my
Linux server
Eugene

Post by Dieter Demerr » Mon, 09 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> I'd like to know if I can network 286's to a Linux server.
> Specifically, I'd like to be able to do introductory "C" programming,
> and some word processing from the 286's.  (This is in a classroom.)

> The 286's have 40 MB hard drives, and the server would probably be a
> P100.

> Any specific recommendations for software?  Any advice on how to
> approach this?

You should check on the caldera-site.  There's lotsa talk about DR-DOS
(works on an XT) with Web-support... (and thus network).  Fits on a
floppy they claim.

--
***  Greetings From ****** Groetjes vanwege  ***

http://ace.ulyssis.student.kuleuven.ac.be/~dede/

Post by Me » Mon, 09 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> >I'd like to know if I can network 286's to a Linux server.
> >Specifically, I'd like to be able to do introductory "C" programming,
> >and some word processing from the 286's.  (This is in a classroom.)

Best alternative would be to use mars_nwe on the Linux machine to use it
as an almost fully featured Netware server. Then from the 286 machines
connect to it like you would to any Novell server. I use mars_nwe on
this machine and it works outstandingly well.

  - Eric.

Can I network 286's to Linux server?

Post by Rob Thomso » Mon, 09 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Well...  I was looking at all the other coments, and while all being
really good... they lack one small thing.

Where are you going to then get the compilation tools for C from.

What I would suggest doing, is using a DOS based telent program.  Check
on the web... there used to be some avaliable at some stage.  Infact..
as i recall, at on stage there was a program called "dosx" (I think) .
This software allowed you to run a XDM terminal on your own machine.
Now lets be realistic... XDM does not require any local proccessing
power.  Hence the problem of a 286 is not even an issue.

Once X is running on the clients, you pretty much have a controoled X
environment on all your 286's.

Cheers

RobT

> I'd like to know if I can network 286's to a Linux server.
> Specifically, I'd like to be able to do introductory "C" programming,
> and some word processing from the 286's.  (This is in a classroom.)

> The 286's have 40 MB hard drives, and the server would probably be a
> P100.

> Any specific recommendations for software?  Any advice on how to
> approach this?

> Thanks for your time.

Can I network 286's to Linux server?

Post by Mike Chi » Mon, 09 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I don't know if it's still available but minix was designed to run on XTs
for educational purposes and is about the only software I know that uses the
286 protected mode. You don't say how large the class is but trying to have
everyone logging into the server and compiling will probably not be too
practical without a much beefier server. Minix includes a compiler so work
can be done locally on each workstation.

>Well...  I was looking at all the other coments, and while all being
>really good... they lack one small thing.

>Where are you going to then get the compilation tools for C from.

>What I would suggest doing, is using a DOS based telent program.  Check
>on the web... there used to be some avaliable at some stage.  Infact..
>as i recall, at on stage there was a program called "dosx" (I think) .
>This software allowed you to run a XDM terminal on your own machine.
>Now lets be realistic... XDM does not require any local proccessing
>power.  Hence the problem of a 286 is not even an issue.

>Once X is running on the clients, you pretty much have a controoled X
>environment on all your 286's.

>Cheers

>RobT

>> I'd like to know if I can network 286's to a Linux server.
>> Specifically, I'd like to be able to do introductory "C" programming,
>> and some word processing from the 286's.  (This is in a classroom.)

>> The 286's have 40 MB hard drives, and the server would probably be a
>> P100.

>> Any specific recommendations for software?  Any advice on how to
>> approach this?

>> Thanks for your time.

Can I network 286's to Linux server?

Post by Bria » Mon, 09 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I'd like to know if I can network 286's to a Linux server.
>Specifically, I'd like to be able to do introductory "C" programming,
>and some word processing from the 286's.  (This is in a classroom.)

>The 286's have 40 MB hard drives, and the server would probably be a
>P100.

>Any specific recommendations for software?  Any advice on how to
>approach this?

>Thanks for your time.

you could use any variety of tcp/ip stack for DOS, and the a telnet client.
that should be sufficient to do word processing and programming (all
programmers should learn VI ;)

the real question is what role is your linux machine going to play? file
service?

Brian

Post by winso » Mon, 09 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> I don't know if it's still available but minix was designed to run on XTs
> for educational purposes and is about the only software I know that uses the
> 286 protected mode. You don't say how large the class is but trying to have
> everyone logging into the server and compiling will probably not be too
> practical without a much beefier server. Minix includes a compiler so work
> can be done locally on each workstation.

> >Well...  I was looking at all the other coments, and while all being
> >really good... they lack one small thing.

> >Where are you going to then get the compilation tools for C from.

> >What I would suggest doing, is using a DOS based telent program.  Check
> >on the web... there used to be some avaliable at some stage.  Infact..
> >as i recall, at on stage there was a program called "dosx" (I think) .
> >This software allowed you to run a XDM terminal on your own machine.
> >Now lets be realistic... XDM does not require any local proccessing
> >power.  Hence the problem of a 286 is not even an issue.

> >Once X is running on the clients, you pretty much have a controoled X
> >environment on all your 286's.

> >Cheers

> >RobT

> >> I'd like to know if I can network 286's to a Linux server.
> >> Specifically, I'd like to be able to do introductory "C" programming,
> >> and some word processing from the 286's.  (This is in a classroom.)

> >> The 286's have 40 MB hard drives, and the server would probably be a
> >> P100.

> >> Any specific recommendations for software?  Any advice on how to
> >> approach this?

> >> Thanks for your time.

Yes Minix is still available,"www.cs.vu.nl/ftp/minix". and new with ver
2.0.1 is the ability to run it from an MSDOS (win95)
partition.........and does have a C compiler.
Although I use ver 2.0.0 (minix partition)

Post by Perry Gri » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I'd like to know if I can network 286's to a Linux server.

> The 286's have 40 MB hard drives, and the server would probably
> be a P100.

> Any specific recommendations for software?  Any advice on how
> to approach this?

Displaying X on a 286, I would think, is out of the question.
So you are looking at a text only terminal type interface.
Assuming you don't have a TCP/IP stack for the 286's, your
other obvious choice is UARTs.  Good quality UART boards are
available but cost - depending on how many you want.  There
are several suppliers on the web.  And linux supports at
least a couple, as I recall, if you want to run a UART farm.

Software...  There is a kermit for DOS.  Don't know if it
does TCP/IP or is smart enough to use a NIC.  I know it does
UART.  You can research kermit's capabilities at
www.columbia.edu/kermit (or something there abouts).  If you
just want to run getty on a bunch of UARTs, then the PCs can
run an old DOS based version of procomm or telix.  See
www.cdrom.com for the SimTel archives.  There may still be
a www.simtel.net or www.simtelnet.com on the web.  There
was several years ago but it may have gone away.

Just some preliminary ideas,
Perry Grieb

PS:  Ok, since you were nice...  Here are some old links I've
been saving.  Don't know if they are any good or not.

DOS Network Sites:
------------------

DOS browser brings graphical web to older machines
        http://www.naf.cz/arachne/english.htm           (DOS Arachne Browser!!)

        http://www.dendarii.demon.co.uk/FAQs/dos-apps.html
        http://www.agate.net/~tvdog/internet.html       (DOS clients)
        http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~dank/trumpet/    (DOS TCP/IP page)
        http://wattcp.supro.com                         (DOS TCP/IP stack)
        http://dark.uwaterloo.ca/wattcp.html
        ftp://ftp.tsoft.net/pub/tsoft/wattcp/wat9609.zip
        http://www.netsoft.ie/                          (NetSoft LAN 1.40a)
        ftp://ftp.ccs.queensu.ca/pub/msdos/cutftp       (Clarkson University)
        ftp://ftp.ucsd.edu/hamradio/packet/tcpip        (Demon's ka9q)
        ftp://ftp.ucsd.edu/hamradio/packet/tcpip/jnos/
        http://www.klos.com                             (KLOS driver)
        http://www.alumni.caltech.edu/~dank/trumpet     (more info)

        ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/net/nslan140.zip        (Local Area Network)
        Complete Local Area Network Operating System For DOS and Windows
        PC's and Laptops. Use Serial Ports, Parallel Ports, Ethernet Cards,
        Arcnet Cards and Modem to link you machine.  NetSoft LAN 1.40a is
        a complete Local Area Network for DOS and Windows PC's and Laptops.
        Requires min. 18k memory. DOS 3.1+.  Includes easy netsetup program,
        server software, client software printer spooler, extended filing
        system, DOS station Manager and pop-up redirector. Remote Control,
        MS-NET and IBM PC LAN compatible.  Includes every required for a net-
        work of up to 255 users.

        ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/connect/n108-pt.zip     (PPP Dial Up for DOS)
        ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/connect/n108-xt.zip     (PPP Dial Up for DOS)
        ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/connect/n108-386.zip    (PPP Dial Up for DOS)

        Net-Tamer is a PPP dial up access program, which requires no TSR packet
        driver. It will web browse, get/send your email, get/send usenet message
s,
        FTP upload/download a file, TELNET to another internet address, or check
        the time and date. It is a both robot and a navigator.  There are other
        versions for 386 PC's, XT/286's. Now supports inline mono CGA graphics.
        http://people.delphi.com/davidcolston

        ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/html/knots2_0.zip
        Dos-based browser for local HTML files
        ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/lan/pprd200.zip
        Dos-based LPD printer server
        Also look for NeOS in the Simtel Archive

        http://www.crynwr.com                                   (packet drivers)
        ftp://ftp.lu.se/pub/network/pdclkset/pdtst314.zip       (ping/traceroute
)

        ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/clients/msclient
        A DOS network client, available free from ftp.microsoft.com in the
        /bussys/clients/msclient directory, supports TCP. It does not include
        FTP client or any other basic TCP utilities.
        Get both DSK3-1.EXE and DSK3-2.EXE!

        http://www.qnx.com/~mphunter/tcpip_resources.html
        http://www.faqs.org/faqs/internet/tcp-ip/resource-list/index.html
        TCP/IP Resources List

        http://www.starnet.com
        Starnet has a DOS X server.

Novell stack - DOS or Win?
        ftp://ftp.novell.com/pub/updates/nwos/c32dw211/dwenu_n2.exe

Internet In A Thimble: PPP dial up, XT/286
        http://www.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/internet/n101-xt.zip
        ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/internet/n101-xt.zip

Internet In A Thimble: PPP dial up, 386 & up
        http://www.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/internet/n101-386.zip
        ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/internet/n101-386.zip

DOS ETHERPPP PPP packet driver at:
        ftp://merit.edu/pub/ppp/pc/etherppp.zip
        It uses about 121K of ram though....

--
Perry Grieb

EE Times: Windows CE - low on design wins, high on marketing hype

1. boot 286 from Linux server?

Is it possible to make a 286 boot DOS from a LINUX-server?
With Novell i have to place a boot-image on the server, and the client
mounts a remote file-system on the server.
Is it possible to do this with bare linux, or maybe using a netware
emulation like mars nwe?
This strange machine is called earthstation, it does not have any slots
nor ide or floppy port, just video and ARC-Net.
I know, its waste of time, but i really want to try it.
Anybody did something like this before?

Gereon Wenzel

2. satan on linux (a README for the patch)

3. LINUX/other UNIX version for 286's

4. simple routing problem

5. '486 compiles like '286

6. HELP with shutdown...

7. Network with 286 (GERMAN!)

8. Is there slattach for Linux?

9. Free UNIX for 286's?????

10. C++ WANTED FOR AIX/RT and SCO XENIX '286

11. Help adding 286 terminal to pentium server

12. Connecting a 286 to my Linux box.

13. 286/386 as linux terminal