Serial Terminal Emulation

Post by Garret A. Wikof » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

From time to time I would like to use my COL2.2 Laptop as a simple
terminal, connecting to another computer via the RS232 serial port.  I
am having a heck of a time figuring out how to do this. It seems that
most terminal software is expecting to use a modem.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Serial Terminal Emulation

Post by Cameron L. Spitz » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>From time to time I would like to use my COL2.2 Laptop as a simple
>terminal, connecting to another computer via the RS232 serial port.  I
>am having a heck of a time figuring out how to do this. It seems that
>most terminal software is expecting to use a modem.  Any help would be
>greatly appreciated.

cu -l/dev/ttyS1

(Pick the appropriate serial device.  Configure it with setserial(8)
and stty(1) first.)
The cu(1) command is in the Taylor-UUCP package from GNU.
You might also have a tip(1) program.

seyon(1) will do it too, just tell it an empty chat script.
And seyon has cool graphical indicators for the handshake lines.

Cameron

Serial Terminal Emulation

Post by megan.. » Fri, 19 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Check out the free terminal emulation demo at
Ericom Software's website. www.ericom.com. It
supports serial connection. WHAT A PACKAGE!!!!!!!

Quote:> From time to time I would like to use my COL2.2
Laptop as a simple
> terminal, connecting to another computer via

the RS232 serial port.  I
Quote:> am having a heck of a time figuring out how to

do this. It seems that
Quote:> most terminal software is expecting to use a

modem.  Any help would be

Quote:> greatly appreciated.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Serial terminal emulation to Sun Sparc machine

I want to use Slackware Linux to establish a serial
VT100 connection to a Sun Sparc server that doesn'
have a graphical card. On the Sun side theres no
problems, just connect a VT100 compatible terminal
to the serial port and its ready.
I know I could use a communication program from Dos,
there were lots of them. In Linux it looks harder,
I tried minicom but it wanted to connect to a modem
line and I found no way for a direct RS 232 connection.
Could that be made in a simple way?

2. E-mail addressing issue

3. Terminal emulation from serial port for SunOS 4.1.3 - How?

4. JOBS : Operating System / Kernel Engineers, England

5. Terminal emulation on a serial line

6. Seen-by lines

7. Turning back on "terminal emulation" for a 3511's serial interface?

8. server, dsl, network setup

9. Help with serial line between Linux box and PC running terminal emulation

10. VT100 Terminal emulation on serial line

11. terminal emulation package TI 924 or TI931 VDT terminal

12. Using serial printers off of serial terminals.

13. Terminal Emulation (VT220) Library?