Token Ring throughput

Post by Ronnie Jone » Thu, 09 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I have my first Linux system up and running.  I am presently running,
Apache, wu-ftp, samba and mrtg.  Everything seems to be working well
except for one performance issue.  When putting a file on the hard drive
using my data transfer is only about 57kbytes/sec. but taking the same
file with all other variables the same I get about 600kbytes/sec.
transfer rate.  This happens on my ftp client as well as SAMBA.  When a
file is in download I never get over 40% loading to the CPU or 20% to
memory using TOP.  Also, I have plenty of SWAP space set up for the
computer.  I am running this on an IBM 77 PS/2 486DSX-66 with 32MRAM,
three SCSI drives, and one scsi CDROM.  I have 64Mb of swap space
setup.  My shared file and my ftp files are on two different drives and
they are both alike(1.2G SCSI).  My network card is an IBM
token-ring16/4.  I am set to run at 16MB/s and in ifconfig my settings
are as follows:
MTU= 2000
Metric= 1
Txqueuelen= 1500

I am running TCP/IP only.

Quote:>From the tests I have run it does not seem that the system is getting

loaded and therebye slowing the receipt of packets over the TR port.
You can tell that when a file is coming in, the operating system is not
hitting the hard very often so it does not seem to be driving the swap
space hard.
I guess what I am asking is for some info as to why there would be such
a great difference in the read and write speed of files to the system.
Oh, and I am running slakware.

Ronnie Jones

Token Ring throughput

Post by Ronnie Jone » Thu, 09 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I have my first Linux system up and running.  I am presently running,
> Apache, wu-ftp, samba and mrtg.  Everything seems to be working well
> except for one performance issue.  When putting a file on the hard drive
> using my data transfer is only about 57kbytes/sec. but taking the same
> file with all other variables the same I get about 600kbytes/sec.
> transfer rate.  This happens on my ftp client as well as SAMBA.  When a
> file is in download I never get over 40% loading to the CPU or 20% to
> memory using TOP.  Also, I have plenty of SWAP space set up for the
> computer.  I am running this on an IBM 77 PS/2 486DSX-66 with 32MRAM,
> three SCSI drives, and one scsi CDROM.  I have 64Mb of swap space
> setup.  My shared file and my ftp files are on two different drives and
> they are both alike(1.2G SCSI).  My network card is an IBM
> token-ring16/4.  I am set to run at 16MB/s and in ifconfig my settings
> are as follows:
> MTU= 2000
> Metric= 1
> Txqueuelen= 1500

> I am running TCP/IP only.

> >From the tests I have run it does not seem that the system is getting
> loaded and therebye slowing the receipt of packets over the TR port.
> You can tell that when a file is coming in, the operating system is not
> hitting the hard very often so it does not seem to be driving the swap
> space hard.
> I guess what I am asking is for some info as to why there would be such
> a great difference in the read and write speed of files to the system.
> Oh, and I am running slakware.

> Ronnie Jones

Sorry about the first posting.  I did not proof-read.  This should be
better.

I have my first Linux system up and running.  I am presently running,
Apache, wu-ftp, samba and mrtg.  Everything seems to be working well except
for one performance issue.  When putting a file on the hard drive my data
transfer is only about 57kbytes/sec. but getting the  file with all other
variables the same I get about 600kbytes/sec. transfer rate.  This happens
on my ftp client as well as SAMBA.  When a file is up/download I never get
over 40% loading to the CPU or 20% to memory using TOP.  Also, I have
plenty of SWAP space set up for the computer.  I am running this on an IBM
77 PS/2 486DSX-66 with 32MRAM, three SCSI drives, and one scsi CDROM.  I
have 64Mb of swap space setup.  My shared file and my ftp files are on two
different drives and they are both alike(1.2G SCSI).  My network card is an
IBM token-ring16/4.  I am set to run at 16MB/s and in "ifconfig" my
settings are as follows:
MTU= 2000
Metric= 1
Txqueuelen= 1500

I am running TCP/IP only.

Quote:>From the tests I have run it does not seem that the system is getting

loaded and therebye slowing the receipt of packets over the TR port.  You
can tell that when a file is coming in, the operating system is not hitting
the hard drive very often so it does not seem to be driving the swap space
hard.
I guess what I am asking for is some info as to why there would be such a
great difference in the read and write speed of files to the system.  Oh,
and I am running slakware 7.0.

Ronnie Jones

1. token ring token ring token ring

I would advice either going to a more recent kernel, or back to 1.2.x,
and applying the TR patch.  As far as I can tell, the built-in TR support
in 1.3 was broken early on, and not fixed until very recently.

I had no end of problems - normally showing as booting and init'ing the
TR card ok, could ping ok, but any more then that (such as telnet or ftp,
either into or out of the Linux machine) gave a kernel panic.

Compiled up 1.3.72 the other day and it's been running perfectly ever
since.  I'm using a Madge Straight Blue right now but have also used
some older IBM 4/16 cards.

Leonard

2. Lots of IDLE *.* TCP connections

3. TOKEN RING? (unfortunately *IBM* Token Ring)

4. Why can't I get 3D acceleration on my matrox g400?

5. UDP throughput code: much lower than expected throughput

6. problem with libxmi: "error while loading shared libraries: libxmi.so.0"

7. UDP throughput tool: unusually low throughput

8. can't configure X

9. Token ring ASB error

10. Slow token ring?

11. Any token ring cards work with Linux?

12. Linux & Token-Ring

13. token-ring patch,nettools installation step