Terminal ANSI ou SCO ANSI

Post by Paulo Cru » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 01:07:10

Hello,

Does anyone knows any ansi or SCO ansi terminal that works in linux (not
commercial if possible)?

Thanks,
Paulo Cruz

Terminal ANSI ou SCO ANSI

Post by Charlie Gibb » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 03:32:05

Quote:(Paulo Cruz) writes:
>Does anyone knows any ansi or SCO ansi terminal that works in linux
>(not commercial if possible)?

Try minicom - it should already be on your Linux box and it has an
ANSI option.

--

Remove the first period after the "at" sign to reply.
I don't read top-posted messages.  If you want me to see your reply,

Terminal ANSI ou SCO ANSI

Post by Johan Kullsta » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 04:44:20

> (Paulo Cruz) writes:

> >Does anyone knows any ansi or SCO ansi terminal that works in linux
> >(not commercial if possible)?

> Try minicom - it should already be on your Linux box and it has an
> ANSI option.

no.  minicom has no idea about terminal driving.  it just talks on the
serial port.  the linux console is vt220 compatible.  rxvt and xterm
(and friends) will also do vt100 or vt220.  therefore, run your
minicom from linux console, rxvt or xterm.

--

Terminal ANSI ou SCO ANSI

Post by Thomas Dicke » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 19:02:36

>> (Paulo Cruz) writes:

>> >Does anyone knows any ansi or SCO ansi terminal that works in linux
>> >(not commercial if possible)?

>> Try minicom - it should already be on your Linux box and it has an
>> ANSI option.
> no.  minicom has no idea about terminal driving.  it just talks on the

minicom does what is considered to be terminal emulation (it manages the
display).

Quote:> serial port.  the linux console is vt220 compatible.  rxvt and xterm

no (roughly vt102 compatible).
Several years ago it had some vt220 features, but those were broken when
the UTF-8 support was added.

Quote:> (and friends) will also do vt100 or vt220.  therefore, run your
> minicom from linux console, rxvt or xterm.

rxvt is about as vt102-compatible as the Linux console.

The XFree86 xterm supports ANSI color and VT220 emulation
There's an faq at
        http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.faq.html
        ftp://invisible-island.net/xterm

But he's asking about "ansi" in the sense that he can plug in the program
with a SCO system without understanding the differences between various
types of terminals.  Any of these programs would work - given the proper
terminal description.

--

http://dickey.his.com
ftp://dickey.his.com

Terminal ANSI ou SCO ANSI

Post by Villy Kru » Thu, 27 Jun 2002 00:21:54

On 25 Jun 2002 10:02:36 GMT,

Quote:

>But he's asking about "ansi" in the sense that he can plug in the program
>with a SCO system without understanding the differences between various
>types of terminals.  Any of these programs would work - given the proper
>terminal description.

It should be added that SCO has a different meaning of terminal type
"ansi" which is incompatible with the terminal type called ansi on
most other unix systems.  The SCO ansi is modeled on the ansi.sys
device driver found on MSDOS, and many terminal emulations will also
have this definition in mind when they claim ansi terminal emulation.

Traditional unix specifies "ansi" as the common subset for vt100
family.

Linux comes with a terminal type called xenix aka ibmpcx, but I found
it was broken.  The termcap entry for cm is missing the %i flag. The cm
entry should be the same as the cm entry for the vt100 terminal type.
Same for the cup terminfo entry.

This is relevant if you are using a SCO unix console to run a program on
linux system.  For the reverse case you make a terminfo entry using the
infocmp program, transfer the result to the SCO system and use that as
input to the tic program.  Then set TERM=linux on the SCO system whenever
you use the linux console as a terminal.  Standard SCO programs are using
terminfo rather than termcap so you will probably not need to add the
linux definition to the SCO termcap file.

Villy

Terminal ANSI ou SCO ANSI

Post by Thomas Dicke » Thu, 27 Jun 2002 01:16:31

> It should be added that SCO has a different meaning of terminal type
> "ansi" which is incompatible with the terminal type called ansi on
> most other unix systems.  The SCO ansi is modeled on the ansi.sys
> device driver found on MSDOS, and many terminal emulations will also
> have this definition in mind when they claim ansi terminal emulation.
> Traditional unix specifies "ansi" as the common subset for vt100
> family.
> Linux comes with a terminal type called xenix aka ibmpcx, but I found
> it was broken.  The termcap entry for cm is missing the %i flag. The cm
> entry should be the same as the cm entry for the vt100 terminal type.
> Same for the cup terminfo entry.

maybe (the entry is odd since it cites "IBM xenix", though I recall using
Xenix around 1986 and IBM wasn't the vendor.

Nor initially was SCO, iirc for Xenix 1.0 - that was a little later.
Looking around with google, it's likely that I was using a version distributed
by Tandy.  Checking further, it appears that IBM was one of several companies
that distributed a version of Xenix.  But there's no guarantee that Xenix
from any one company is the same in any sense as another's.

I didn't write the terminfo entry, btw.  However, it appears that SCO's version
is the last-used.  But I am not sure I have enough info to complete the
terminfo entry.

Quote:> This is relevant if you are using a SCO unix console to run a program on

--

http://dickey.his.com
ftp://dickey.his.com