How to network a WinXP SP2 with a Debian Linux machine

How to network a WinXP SP2 with a Debian Linux machine

Post by Steve Turne » Wed, 14 May 2008 07:46:30

Does anyone know of THE definitive guide to networking a WinXP SP2 machine
with a Linux Debian machine when they share the same DSL modem / router?
Thanks in advance.

Post by Baho Uto » Wed, 14 May 2008 08:44:33

> Does anyone know of THE definitive guide to networking a WinXP SP2 machine
> with a Linux Debian machine when they share the same DSL modem / router?
> Thanks in advance.

Hardware router (like a linksys)?

--
Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

Post by AZ Noma » Wed, 14 May 2008 10:09:01

>Does anyone know of THE definitive guide to networking a WinXP SP2 machine
>with a Linux Debian machine when they share the same DSL modem / router?
>Thanks in advance.

It is the same for networking any two machines.  The OS is irrelevent.
They need to be on a local network on a subnet such as 192.168.1.x,
10.0.0.x, etc., and then the router will perform translation between the
local area network and the outside world.  Reserve an address like 192.168.1.1
for the router and set the local networked machiens to use 192.168.1.1 as
a gateway, default route.

Install samba on the linux machine if you want to share files using the
windoze 'network neighborhood'.

Plug them both into the router and the router to a DSL modem.

Post by Steve Turne » Wed, 14 May 2008 11:26:21

>>Does anyone know of THE definitive guide to networking a WinXP SP2 machine
>>with a Linux Debian machine when they share the same DSL modem / router?
>>Thanks in advance.

> It is the same for networking any two machines.  The OS is irrelevent.
> They need to be on a local network on a subnet such as 192.168.1.x,
> 10.0.0.x, etc., and then the router will perform translation between the
> local area network and the outside world.  Reserve an address like
> 192.168.1.1
> for the router and set the local networked machiens to use 192.168.1.1 as
> a gateway, default route.

> Install samba on the linux machine if you want to share files using the
> windoze 'network neighborhood'.

> Plug them both into the router and the router to a DSL modem.

Best I can tell Windows XP doesn't come with "Network Neighbourhood". That's
like Windows 98.

How to network a WinXP SP2 with a Debian Linux machine

Post by Steve Turne » Wed, 14 May 2008 11:26:21

>> Does anyone know of THE definitive guide to networking a WinXP SP2
>> machine
>> with a Linux Debian machine when they share the same DSL modem / router?
>> Thanks in advance.

> Hardware router (like a linksys)?

> --
> Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

Yeah

Post by AZ Noma » Wed, 14 May 2008 16:07:19

>>>Does anyone know of THE definitive guide to networking a WinXP SP2 machine
>>>with a Linux Debian machine when they share the same DSL modem / router?
>>>Thanks in advance.

>> It is the same for networking any two machines.  The OS is irrelevent.
>> They need to be on a local network on a subnet such as 192.168.1.x,
>> 10.0.0.x, etc., and then the router will perform translation between the
>> local area network and the outside world.  Reserve an address like
>> 192.168.1.1
>> for the router and set the local networked machiens to use 192.168.1.1 as
>> a gateway, default route.

>> Install samba on the linux machine if you want to share files using the
>> windoze 'network neighborhood'.

>> Plug them both into the router and the router to a DSL modem.

>Best I can tell Windows XP doesn't come with "Network Neighbourhood". That's
>like Windows 98.

what-*ing-ever.  It's samba.

Post by Steve Turne » Wed, 14 May 2008 20:43:07

>>> It is the same for networking any two machines.  The OS is irrelevent.
>>> They need to be on a local network on a subnet such as 192.168.1.x,
>>> 10.0.0.x, etc., and then the router will perform translation between the
>>> local area network and the outside world.  Reserve an address like
>>> 192.168.1.1
>>> for the router and set the local networked machiens to use 192.168.1.1
>>> as
>>> a gateway, default route.

>>> Install samba on the linux machine if you want to share files using the
>>> windoze 'network neighborhood'.

>>> Plug them both into the router and the router to a DSL modem.

>>Best I can tell Windows XP doesn't come with "Network Neighbourhood".
>>That's
>>like Windows 98.

> what-*ing-ever.  It's samba.

I KNOW! *! Read the question! It is....Does anyone know of THE definitive
guide to networking a WinXP and a Linux machine.

The people in this group are clearly not very bright. And rude to boot. I'm
unsubscribing.

Post by goarill » Thu, 15 May 2008 00:18:52

>>> Best I can tell Windows XP doesn't come with "Network Neighbourhood".
>>> That's
>>> like Windows 98.
>> what-*ing-ever.  It's samba.

> I KNOW! *! Read the question! It is....Does anyone know of THE definitive
> guide to networking a WinXP and a Linux machine.

> The people in this group are clearly not very bright. And rude to boot. I'm
> unsubscribing.

for *'s sake he answered all your questions

and well just because it has changed name (windows network vs network
neighbourhood) doesn't make it any different. It's still
SMB/NetBIOS with some minor improvements (NTLMv2)

Post by Robert Harri » Thu, 15 May 2008 00:45:17

>>> Does anyone know of THE definitive guide to networking a WinXP SP2 machine
>>> with a Linux Debian machine when they share the same DSL modem / router?
>>> Thanks in advance.
>> It is the same for networking any two machines.  The OS is irrelevent.
>> They need to be on a local network on a subnet such as 192.168.1.x,
>> 10.0.0.x, etc., and then the router will perform translation between the
>> local area network and the outside world.  Reserve an address like
>> 192.168.1.1
>> for the router and set the local networked machiens to use 192.168.1.1 as
>> a gateway, default route.

>> Install samba on the linux machine if you want to share files using the
>> windoze 'network neighborhood'.

>> Plug them both into the router and the router to a DSL modem.

> Best I can tell Windows XP doesn't come with "Network Neighbourhood". That's
> like Windows 98.

Then you probably have "Windows XP Home Edition" which has restricted
networking capabilities.

You can still run Samba on your Linux machine. Set up a shared area on
its /etc/smb.conf file and configure the Windows machine through the
"Map Network Drive" tab in the main networking window where you can
enter a user name and password.

Robert

How to network a WinXP SP2 with a Debian Linux machine

Post by Balwinder S Dheema » Fri, 16 May 2008 16:44:11

Quote:> Does anyone know of THE definitive guide to networking a WinXP SP2 machine
> with a Linux Debian machine when they share the same DSL modem / router?
> Thanks in advance.

That's as easy as 1, 2 and 3:

1) Setup and enable DHCP Services and DNS Services on your xDSL router.
2) On Debian nachine, try one of the following:

        dhclient eth0
or
        pump eth0

If any of the above works, you need to make things permanent now --
append the following lines to your /etc/networking/interfaces file:

        # The primary network interface
        auto eth0
        iface eth0 inet dhcp

Please see:

        man 5 interfaces

for further details.

3) On WinXP SPx machine, goto Network Connections, right click on Local
Area Connection, select Properties->Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), click
again Properties and select Obtain an IP address automatically and
Obtain DNS server address automatically

Hope that helps,
Cheers,
--
Dr Balwinder S "bsd" Dheeman          Registered Linux User: #229709

Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India         Gentoo, Fedora, Debian/FreeBSD/XP
Home: http://cto.homelinux.net/~bsd/  Visit: http://counter.li.org/

1. Network fast Linux -> WinXP but slow WinXP -> Linux

Hi!

I have a really strange problem here that you people just might help me
solve. I have a LAN with two computers connected by a BNC cable. The
transfers from the Linux box to the Windows box is fast, but the other way
round is really slow - upload is about ~ 35 KB/sec. I have tried with smb,
ftp and scp and the results are the same. What can I do to fix this? It is
really annoying, moving a 650 MB ISO took me a whole night...

Thanks in advance!

Sebastian

2. PLIP how to/ where from

3. How to install linux as 3rd os in a machine running win2000 and winxp (dual boot)

4. X feezes when tryin to configure network.

5. partition hard disk (debian,win95,winXP)

6. grep question

7. peer to peer network of Linux and WinXP

8. Does slrn do authorization?

9. redhat 8 samba with winxp network newbie linux

10. Beginner question: using a Linux PC on a WinXP network

11. Network between Win 3.11/Win 95 machine and Linux machine

12. using Samba to network linux machine to NT 4.0 machine

13. newbie - networking WinXP + linux