Part 2 -- Samba - XP problem

Post by Tommy Paulic » Sat, 02 Nov 2002 11:58:49

Sorry, - I sometimes have trouble with posts on verizon's news server
Here is part 2:

I am able to see my Linux box from winXP machines on my lan,

However, when I attempt to access from Network Neighborhood I get the
following error:

"\\Localhost not accessible.  You might not have permission to use this
nework.You were not connected because a duplicate name exists on the
network."

2 computers on this network.  Displayed in Windows "network neighbor
hood" as follows:
        Downstairs (ALUMINUM)
        Samba Server (Localhost)

ALUMINUM is the name of my XP box.  Any Ideas on the cause and remedy?

I very greatly apprecaite your help,
Sincerely,
Tom

Part 2 -- Samba - XP problem

Post by Massimo Santor » Sat, 02 Nov 2002 12:50:07

>  I attempt to access from Network Neighborhood I get the
> following error:

> "\\Localhost not accessible.  You might not have permission to use this
> nework.You were not connected because a duplicate name exists on the
> network."

what a great idea to call a unix machine "localhost", huh?

Massimo Santoro

Part 2 -- Samba - XP problem

Post by Philip Burro » Sat, 02 Nov 2002 21:30:10

Quote:

> "\\Localhost not accessible.  You might not have permission to use this
> nework.You were not connected because a duplicate name exists on the
> network."

Like Massimo said, you should go into your smb.conf and change the netbios
name to something other than Localhost.

Localhost, on both Windows and Linux, resolves to 127.0.0.1 by default, and
it sounds like you've introduced a NetBIOS name of Localhost resolving to
your LAN IP on your Samba box. So when Windows looks for Localhost it has to
decide between 127.0.0.1 or your LAN IP. Hence the duplicate name error.

Phil.

Part 2 -- Samba - XP problem

Post by Tommy Paulic » Mon, 04 Nov 2002 01:00:06

Philip,

Thanks for the help - I didn't have the netbios option in my smb.conf
skeleton file.  so I never configured it.  default must be localhost.  I
changed that setting and everything works now.  Thanks alot!!

regards,
Tom

Quote:> Like Massimo said, you should go into your smb.conf and change the netbios
> name to something other than Localhost.

> Localhost, on both Windows and Linux, resolves to 127.0.0.1 by default, and
> it sounds like you've introduced a NetBIOS name of Localhost resolving to
> your LAN IP on your Samba box. So when Windows looks for Localhost it has to
> decide between 127.0.0.1 or your LAN IP. Hence the duplicate name error.

> Phil.

1. Windows XP and Samba - whats the maximum size of a XP Share folder?

Hi!

I got windows XP and Mandrake linux networked with each other.
Lately, I came upon an odd problem.  I save all my downloaded proggys
,music etc in one big folder. It gotten to be 5 gig in size. Lately I
have not been able to write any data to this windows xp share folder
from my linux box. I can read and WRITE /MAKE " NEW FOLDERS ONLY" but
samba refuses to transfer any size file and comes back with a "
insufficient disk space problem " .  Since the share folder is in the
XP machine, and I never had any problems at all before xfering files I
came to the conclusion that it must be either a bug in samba? maybe ?
or a XP share restriction issue.  I checked the share folder
attributes , user, rights etc and all checks well.

I then decided to make a whole new folder and have the same folder
attributes as the one described above. I then tried and sucesfully
transfered a file from linux to windows.  So, according to what I have
seen and learned so far, it seems like windows has a maximum folder
size limit ??? if so, how can you disable it?

Any ideas guys?

TIA!

2. double unlock on device queue!

3. Samba - XP problem - appreciate the help!

4. CGI Scripting?

5. Samba 2.2.2 on FreeBSD 4.5 with Windows 2000 / XP Clients - Add user script problem.

6. Year 2000 Unix Issues

7. Really strange problem with XP & SAMBA

8. Proxy / Network Problem Sol. 8

9. Samba Problems with Windows XP

10. Samba-Windows XP pro: any problems?

11. Samba problem in XP Pro

12. SAMBA problem: can't access Linux box from XP

13. Win XP/Samba problem