PPPD really this slow?

Post by V'Kar » Sat, 16 Dec 1995 04:00:00

It seems that when I connect using PPPD to my local ISP, it runs quite
slow.  To prove this, I connected via minicom, and downloaded a 5 meg
file over a 28.8 connection.  It took a little over 15 minutes to
download, where as ftping from my ISP a 1.3 meg file took 31 minutes.
Now is this normal, or have I miss configured something?

PPPD really this slow?

Post by Rick Mad » Sat, 16 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: It seems that when I connect using PPPD to my local ISP, it runs quite
: slow.  To prove this, I connected via minicom, and downloaded a 5 meg
: file over a 28.8 connection.  It took a little over 15 minutes to
: download, where as ftping from my ISP a 1.3 meg file took 31 minutes.
: Now is this normal, or have I miss configured something?

I assume you used zmodem or something similar with minicom?  PPP does
add some overhead to the communication and the download so it will
definitely be slower than something like zmodem over a non-networked
connection.  Twice as long though does seem to be a bit much.

Rick

Rick Maddy                      Fax:                    (303) 442-4916

Voice: (303) 443-1726 x150      WWW: http://www.interealm.com/p/rmaddy

PPPD really this slow?

Post by V'Kar » Sun, 17 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: It seems that when I connect using PPPD to my local ISP, it runs quite
: slow.  To prove this, I connected via minicom, and downloaded a 5 meg
: file over a 28.8 connection.  It took a little over 15 minutes to
: download, where as ftping from my ISP a 1.3 meg file took 31 minutes.
: Now is this normal, or have I miss configured something?

Yeah, thats true, but, for example, if I ping another 28.8 using pppd I get 180ms to 220ms.
When I do mine from the same location <same amounts of hops etc> it comes to 380ms to
450ms.  Now what could cause this?

PPPD really this slow?

Post by Bill Pog » Sun, 17 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: It seems that when I connect using PPPD to my local ISP, it runs quite
: slow.  To prove this, I connected via minicom, and downloaded a 5 meg
: file over a 28.8 connection.  It took a little over 15 minutes to
: download, where as ftping from my ISP a 1.3 meg file took 31 minutes.
: Now is this normal, or have I miss configured something?

take around 12 minutes. Even then, with PPP it will automatically be
slower since there is IP overhead involved that isn't during a straight
download; However, I've experience GREATER throughput on certain files
via PPP than zmodem (usually text)... but then my carrier is 26.4K.

bill

NASCAR - Everything else is just a game.

PPPD really this slow?

Post by Bill Pog » Sun, 17 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: Yeah, thats true, but, for example, if I ping another 28.8 using pppd I get 180ms to 220ms.
: When I do mine from the same location <same amounts of hops etc> it comes to 380ms to
: 450ms.  Now what could cause this?

Do you know what media paths exist between you and the other connection?
You could be crossing say 288 to T1 to 56K to 288... or other really odd
connection types. It also HIGHLY depends on traffic at the time of the
test. You never know what is going on the segments you might have to go
through. But even if the physical hop count is say 3 between you and the
other... the actual hop might be more since dynamic load factors might
play into account via the routers involved.

bill

R.A.S.N. ... there's no place like home...

PPPD really this slow?

Post by czarn » Mon, 18 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: It seems that when I connect using PPPD to my local ISP, it runs quite
: slow.  To prove this, I connected via minicom, and downloaded a 5 meg
: file over a 28.8 connection.  It took a little over 15 minutes to
: download, where as ftping from my ISP a 1.3 meg file took 31 minutes.
: Now is this normal, or have I miss configured something?

Personally, I believe there is something that Minicom does right with
the tty setup which allows maximum throughput... I always first start up
Minicom and then quit without reset / dialing out, then start up
ppp... things move along briskly thereafter.

You see numerous messages about how slow PPP is, but none of the gurus
address this symptom / issue...

--

PPPD really this slow?

Post by Arcadio Alivio Since » Thu, 21 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: : It seems that when I connect using PPPD to my local ISP, it runs quite
: : slow.  To prove this, I connected via minicom, and downloaded a 5 meg
: : file over a 28.8 connection.  It took a little over 15 minutes to
: : download, where as ftping from my ISP a 1.3 meg file took 31 minutes.
: : Now is this normal, or have I miss configured something?
: Personally, I believe there is something that Minicom does right with
: the tty setup which allows maximum throughput... I always first start up
: Minicom and then quit without reset / dialing out, then start up
: ppp... things move along briskly thereafter.
: You see numerous messages about how slow PPP is, but none of the gurus
: address this symptom / issue...

        I heard using TERM instead is better because its faster than PPP.

        If you got a shell account, you might want to set up TERM
networking.  I might do that myself ... either use that or SLIRP.

Arcadio

PPPD really this slow?

Post by Michael Breue » Thu, 21 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I've recently upgraded to kernel 1.3.45 with almost the latest ppp
(2.2.2c ???) and have vastly improved throughput vs. 1.2.13 & 2.1.x ppp.

> It seems that when I connect using PPPD to my local ISP, it runs quite
> slow.  To prove this, I connected via minicom, and downloaded a 5 meg
> file over a 28.8 connection.  It took a little over 15 minutes to
> download, where as ftping from my ISP a 1.3 meg file took 31 minutes.
> Now is this normal, or have I miss configured something?

--
Michael Breuer
Securities Industry Automation Corporation

1. PPPD really this slow?

 > take around 12 minutes. Even then, with PPP it will automatically be
 > slower since there is IP overhead involved that isn't during a straight
 > download; However, I've experience GREATER throughput on certain files
 > via PPP than zmodem (usually text)... but then my carrier is 26.4K.

5M of text, you mean? Hardly a useful test. For proper uncompressible data, 5
minutes per meg is reasonable (it's about 12min/mb at 14.4, so about 5-6min/mb
at 28.8).

hamish

Hamish Moffatt                   | Rising Software, Melbourne, Australia

Cloud Nine BBS: +61 3 9886 5195  | Web:   http://www.rising.com.au

--- GoldED/P32 2.42.G1219+

2. Management of Unix Sys Admin is SW Company: need advice

3. Why does pppd cause apps to load REALLY SLOW?

4. (fwd) Re: lp problems.....

5. Really, really slow connection to local server via PPP.

6. What library is inw in?

7. driver: DMA really really slow

8. Your views please Which TA chipset ?

9. Really, really slow login with Solaris 2.5

10. NFS really slow (too slow!)

11. PPPD dialin... really close

12. Run script after pppd is connected (REALLY connected)?

13. lots of difficulties with pppd--any and all help really appreciated!