Setting up text terminal sessions on a linux box.

Setting up text terminal sessions on a linux box.

Post by Chris Wallac » Sat, 25 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I hope I'm in the right place....

I'm trying to setup linux so that I can use a text terminal to login and
configure this system.
The reason is that this box is NOT going to have a graphics card in once
setup.
Does anyone out there have any exp. with this and can help me????

Thanks.

Setting up text terminal sessions on a linux box.

Post by Steve Housem » Sun, 26 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Not sure I understand you right, but wont telnet/ssh do what you want?

Or do you mean a serial console? ...
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/serial-console.txt

If you are going to have no keyboard either then you may have
to disable in bios OR stuff a (2k?) resistor between a couple of pins
on the keyboard connector (sorry dont know which) to allow it to boot.

Cheers,

Steve Houseman

--

currently  steve.houseman at * net

Setting up text terminal sessions on a linux box.

Post by Sixty9Vdubma » Sun, 26 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I am curious, will this serial-console work anything like
hyperterminal in the Windows products or do you know.  When I
try to telnet into my Cisco DSL router, it won't allow me to get
in and the folks at US West Megabits say I must have some sort
of password set to access my little Cisco via telnet.

Any ideas besides a 2k resistor?

Setting up text terminal sessions on a linux box.

Post by Steve Housem » Sun, 26 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I dont know what a windows hyperterminal is, but the serial-console
is just to allow a serial port connected terminal to be the linux
console , so that can boot with a serial port terminal and run
the box from that ... some people want to run with no screen or
keyboard (so called headless mode) and there can be problems
getting the bios to boot with no keyboard attached (hence the
2k resistor suggestion).

I know nothing about cisco routers and how to control them so cant
help you ... if no one else responds to your query (here) , then
probably best to post a *separate* question .

Cheers,

Steve Houseman

--

currently  steve.houseman at * net

Setting up text terminal sessions on a linux box.

Post by Bob Hau » Mon, 27 Mar 2000 04:00:00

On Sat, 25 Mar 2000 05:21:39 -0800, Sixty9Vdubman

>I am curious, will this serial-console work anything like
>hyperterminal in the Windows products or do you know.

No, it is almost the opposite thing.  Serial console is to run the machine
with no video card or keyboard using a serial port.  What you want is the
program you use to connect to that serial port.

Linux usually comes with one or more of kermit, seyon and minicom, with
seyon being the closest to Hyperterminal due to it's GUI-ness.

However, none of these work like Hyperterminal, they work better.  For
instance your screen won't slow to a crawl when doing an ascii upload and
the vt100 emulation will work correctly.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

1. Setting up remote X-Session to a KDE Linux box

Does anyone in here have any successful experiences in setting up a
remote X
Session from one Linux box to another one running KDE?

I have been successful in connecting a RedHat v7.1 unit running KDE as
it's
Desktop Manager over to a simular box which runs CDE as it's Desktop
Manager
but I cannot seem to get it to working in reverse. In fact, I could also
take a Windows PC running any old X Server and connect it to the CDE
unit
but never to the KDE box.

The command I've been using is X :1 -query host_name

This command works great as long as I don't try and log onto a KDE
powered
machine.

It seems like KDE has replaced the xdm display manager with it's own kdm
which appears not to have XDMCP enabled. Just a guess. Now I wonder if
it
would be possible to somehow either tell kdm to accept incoming requests
or
else maybe I could replace kdm with the original xdm.

Has anybody done this sort of thing before? If so, please let me know
how
you did it. It would be most appreciated.

Thanks everyone,
Rich Looke

2. NEWBIE: No conversion of document of this type can be made

3. curses.h - (colour setting ) , drawing box , terminal setting

4. Alright, I give up. What does the "i" in "inode" stand for?

5. set up linux box as X terminal?

6. 3.0 rc 3 - unable to download

7. Setting up a Linux box as a terminal server

8. Icons don't work as root

9. Setting up Tektronix X-Terminals with a Linux Box

10. Setting up Linux box as terminal server

11. How to set up Linux box as pure X terminal

12. Setting up DEC VT420 Terminal (second session)

13. dos sessions as terminal sessions on network