chat program (modem util) for linux---cant get it to find my modem...

chat program (modem util) for linux---cant get it to find my modem...

Post by maikc » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 21:19:08

i have a rh6.2 linux box and a modem under /dev/ttyS1,
the modem works fine (using minicom,wvdial) but
because i want to use diald (i also try to use wvdial under diald but no luck)
the chat program cannot find my modem;
because i havent understanded yet how chat works,can
anyone help me?how can i tell to chat WHERE my modem is?
thank you in advance
michael

Post by Clifford Kit » Mon, 07 Jan 2002 08:52:18

> i have a rh6.2 linux box and a modem under /dev/ttyS1,
> the modem works fine (using minicom,wvdial) but
> because i want to use diald (i also try to use wvdial under diald but no luck)
> the chat program cannot find my modem;
> because i havent understanded yet how chat works,can
> anyone help me?how can i tell to chat WHERE my modem is?

Diald tells chat where the modem is via the connect script.  Try reading
"man diald-examples" for how to configure diald.  In the diald source
tree there is an example connect script in the bin directory called,
not surprisingly, connect.

Diald is unnecessarily complex unless you need it's packet filtering
capability, or to tune your timeouts for* up the connection
for different applications (e.g., ftp, telnet, browers).  If you don't
need either of those then you might try the demand dial script in
demand-pppd.gz at http://www.veryComputer.com/~ckite/public_html/ in the
"Files for download" section.

--
Clifford Kite  <Email: Presently not available>
/* Bluffing in a poker game can win big; bluffing in a newsgroup

1. PPP/CHAT: chat won't chat with modem, why?

I've been trying to get a dynamic IP connection to work via ppp, and I
think I've narrowed the problem down to the chat program.  chat
doesn't seem to be getting any responses from the modem.  I've been
trying to figure out what's going on by running chat from the command
line (can this work?), but no luck.  For example,

gives the following error messages:

Mar  9 11:43:49 rezkbox chat[1285]: timeout set to 3 seconds
Mar  9 11:43:49 rezkbox chat[1285]: send (^MAT^M^M)
Mar  9 11:43:49 rezkbox chat[1285]: expect (OK)
Mar  9 11:43:52 rezkbox chat[1285]: alarm
Mar  9 11:43:52 rezkbox chat[1285]: send (+++)
Mar  9 11:43:52 rezkbox chat[1285]: expect (OK)
Mar  9 11:43:55 rezkbox chat[1285]: alarm
Mar  9 11:43:55 rezkbox chat[1285]: Failed

I really don't know what's going on.  I'm also a bit confused about
the chat program; it's supposed to communicate with the modem, but how
does it even know which serial port the modem is on?

Any ideas?

-- Charles Rezk

2. Telnet

3. Where to find Kermit, X-Modem, Y-Modem, & Z-Modem Source

4. December 18, 2002

5. cant use external modem - modemtool / chat script problems...

6. 2 NIC system,3c509(ISA) not working, please help!

7. Type 1 fonts

8. Cant get modem to connect with 'chat' and 'pppd'

9. Can't find modem, can dial in but get disconnected, due to no modem found.,

10. Chat / getting modem to respond

11. Getting chat to talk to modem

12. chat not getting to my modem