conf:5: missing module argument?

Post by john gregory mille » Wed, 02 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I just compiled 2.2.14 and have had trouble getting modules to work
correctly.  I eventually had to recompile the kernel with the modules I
need actually built in.  However, I continue to get this message when I
run depmod.  Here is what it says:

conf:5: missing module argument

can't open

What does this mean?  When I explicitly tell it 'depmod -a 2.2.14' it
says:

conf:5: missing module argument

/lib/modules/2.2.14/modules.dep does not exist

But there IS a modules.dep file there.  Does this mabye have to do with
the /boot/module-info file?  I don't know how to generate a module-info
file for my new kernel.  The Kernel How-To didn't even say that the
System.map had to be placed in the /boot directory.  Am I missing
something?  After the kernel was compiled, I did a 'make modules' and then
'make modules_install'.  Is there another step?  Thanks in advance.

-John

1. Conf: 3 Missing module arguments

Hi,
I recently installed Redhat 6.1 on a system. During boot-up there is a
sequence when the system is 'Finding module dependencies' at which point
a statement like Conf: 3 Missing module argument is given. The system
then continues to boot-up and almost everything seems fine. However when
I try to run 'modprobe' I get an error that says Conf: 3 Missing module
argument as during boot-up. I don't know if this is a problem or not.
Can someone help me out?

Thanks,

Eusebio Garate

2. _mmx_memcpy

3. "conf:8: missing module argument"

4. SS5 internal scsi, 3rd party?

5. "conf:2 missing module argument" at boot time

6. HELP! No mail account (?)

7. conf:5: missing module argument???

8. problem with X (and some other Q's)

9. "conf:8: missing module argument"

10. conf.modules vs. modules.conf & modules.dep??

11. REPOST: conf:1: missing argument

12. help decipher "conf;1: missing argument" error

13. conf.modules & modules.conf