ping,traceroute,dns work; telnet,ftp don't - help (LNE100TX, tulip 0.9.13

ping,traceroute,dns work; telnet,ftp don't - help (LNE100TX, tulip 0.9.13

Post by esche.. » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 10:55:16

Hello,

I have a 2.4.0 kernel (running on a slotA AMD Althon 650, FWIW)
and a LinkSys LNE100TX (rev. 4.1).
I'm running Tulip driver version 0.9.13 (January 2, 2001) that I
downloaded with the kernel source.

I can ping and traceroute from the box to my network and through my
router to the outside world.  I cannot build any connection-oriented
services, however, with other computers.  I can ftp localhost and build
connections (that I can see in netstat), similarly, I can telnet and
browse (http) localhost and see it in netstat.

I cannot telnet or ftp or http to other machines on the same network
(though I can traceroute to these machines) or machines outside of my
local network.  Both hosts.allow and hosts.deny had no entries.  When I
put one of the other machines in hosts.allow as
foo:ALL
it had no effect.

Why can't I connect to other machines even as I route to them?

I'm stumped

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

ping,traceroute,dns work; telnet,ftp don't - help (LNE100TX, tulip 0.9.13

Post by esche.. » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 20:53:00

some details I should have supplied (feel free to suggest others)...

1. The line for the machine on my local network that I'm trying to
connect to in hosts.allow is

ALL:art-laptop98

(having it backwards at first didn't help either :-)

2. I'm running Mandrake 7.1.

3. When I do 'netstat -an' on art-laptop98 (a Win98 machine) I don't
see listings for the FTP-in connection that I'm trying to make from the
linux box (I have an FTP daemon running on the laptop and have had no
trouble connecting to it from other machines in the past) or FTP-out
from the laptop.  When I try to connect to the linux box via ftp from
the laptop, netstat -an shows the connection with a status SYN_SENT,
which man netstat tells me means "The socket is actively attempting to
establish a connection."

4. Things are exactly the reverse at the linux box's end; netstat -a
shows nothing when I try to connect in from the laptop via FTP, and
when I try to connect to the laptop via FTP from the linux box,
netstat -a shows the connection with a status SYN_SENT. (I cannot
connect via FTP from a Win95 box either.)

Your insight will be appreciated.

> Hello,

> I have a 2.4.0 kernel (running on a slotA AMD Althon 650, FWIW)
> and a LinkSys LNE100TX (rev. 4.1).
> I'm running Tulip driver version 0.9.13 (January 2, 2001) that I
> downloaded with the kernel source.

> I can ping and traceroute from the box to my network and through my
> router to the outside world.  I cannot build any connection-oriented
> services, however, with other computers.  I can ftp localhost and
build
> connections (that I can see in netstat), similarly, I can telnet and
> browse (http) localhost and see it in netstat.

> I cannot telnet or ftp or http to other machines on the same network
> (though I can traceroute to these machines) or machines outside of my
> local network.  Both hosts.allow and hosts.deny had no entries.  When
> put one of the other machines in hosts.allow as
> foo:ALL
> it had no effect.

> Why can't I connect to other machines even as I route to them?

> I'm stumped

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

ping,traceroute,dns work; telnet,ftp don't - help (LNE100TX, tulip 0.9.13

Post by esche.. » Mon, 29 Jan 2001 21:09:58

stuff I should have said before:

I'm running Mandrake 7.1

The "100" LED is on all the time, but the "link/act" LED only flickers
on briefly as the pings get sent out to the switch/router.  On the
router's end, the link light stays on.

When I try to FTP from the linux box to a Win98 box on the same network
(that is running an FTP/HTTP server that is verified to respond to
other machines on the same network), netstat shows a "connection" with
a status of SYN_SENT, which the man page indicates means that the linux
box is actively trying to make a connection.  Yet netstat on the Win98
box does not list the connection at all (because, I presume, no
connection has been completed.

I get precisely the symmetrical behavior when trying to connect via FTP
from the laptop to the FTP server on the linux box - netstat on the
linux box shows no record of a connection and netstat on the Win98 box
shows the "connection" with a state of SYN_SENT.

Finally, correcting the line in hosts.allow to
ALL:foo
didn't help either

> Hello,

> I have a 2.4.0 kernel (running on a slotA AMD Althon 650, FWIW)
> and a LinkSys LNE100TX (rev. 4.1).
> I'm running Tulip driver version 0.9.13 (January 2, 2001) that I
> downloaded with the kernel source.

> I can ping and traceroute from the box to my network and through my
> router to the outside world.  I cannot build any connection-oriented
> services, however, with other computers.  I can ftp localhost and
build
> connections (that I can see in netstat), similarly, I can telnet and
> browse (http) localhost and see it in netstat.

> I cannot telnet or ftp or http to other machines on the same network
> (though I can traceroute to these machines) or machines outside of my
> local network.  Both hosts.allow and hosts.deny had no entries.  When
> put one of the other machines in hosts.allow as
> foo:ALL
> it had no effect.

> Why can't I connect to other machines even as I route to them?

> I'm stumped

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

ping,traceroute,dns work; telnet,ftp don't - help (LNE100TX, tulip 0.9.13

Post by dcro.. » Mon, 29 Jan 2001 21:52:07

I am really confused by your posts, but, I have a couple of things you
might want to check if you haven't already.
(1) Password Encryption On/Off?
(2) Samba config

Sorry, too confused to guess anything else.

> stuff I should have said before:

> I'm running Mandrake 7.1

> The "100" LED is on all the time, but the "link/act" LED only flickers
> on briefly as the pings get sent out to the switch/router.  On the
> router's end, the link light stays on.

> When I try to FTP from the linux box to a Win98 box on the same
network
> (that is running an FTP/HTTP server that is verified to respond to
> other machines on the same network), netstat shows a "connection" with
> a status of SYN_SENT, which the man page indicates means that the
linux
> box is actively trying to make a connection.  Yet netstat on the Win98
> box does not list the connection at all (because, I presume, no
> connection has been completed.

> I get precisely the symmetrical behavior when trying to connect via
FTP
> from the laptop to the FTP server on the linux box - netstat on the
> linux box shows no record of a connection and netstat on the Win98 box
> shows the "connection" with a state of SYN_SENT.

> Finally, correcting the line in hosts.allow to
> ALL:foo
> didn't help either

> > Hello,

> > I have a 2.4.0 kernel (running on a slotA AMD Althon 650, FWIW)
> > and a LinkSys LNE100TX (rev. 4.1).
> > I'm running Tulip driver version 0.9.13 (January 2, 2001) that I
> > downloaded with the kernel source.

> > I can ping and traceroute from the box to my network and through my
> > router to the outside world.  I cannot build any connection-oriented
> > services, however, with other computers.  I can ftp localhost and
> build
> > connections (that I can see in netstat), similarly, I can telnet and
> > browse (http) localhost and see it in netstat.

> > I cannot telnet or ftp or http to other machines on the same network
> > (though I can traceroute to these machines) or machines outside of
my
> > local network.  Both hosts.allow and hosts.deny had no entries.
When
> > put one of the other machines in hosts.allow as
> > foo:ALL
> > it had no effect.

> > Why can't I connect to other machines even as I route to them?

> > I'm stumped

> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

ping,traceroute,dns work; telnet,ftp don't - help (LNE100TX, tulip 0.9.13

Post by esche.. » Tue, 30 Jan 2001 00:08:07

I don't know where the confusion lies, unless it was in providing too
much detail.  The problem is that I cannot make connections, I can only
send and recieve ICMP packets with ping/traceroute.

I'm not sure what you meant by (1) below. Password encryption for what?
What file is this in (or where would I look in Linuxconf)?  I don't
make a connection, so I don't even get prompted to enter my username
and password for FTP.

(2) How would Samba affect FTP? I was planning to troubleshoot FTP
before going onto samba. Turning samba service off did not help.

My next plan of attack is to try to get this all working with the
2.2.14-3 kernel; perhaps I'll be luckier with that.

> [...]

my
> > > router to the outside world.  I cannot build any connection-
oriented
> > > services, however, with other computers.  I can ftp localhost and
> > build
> > > connections (that I can see in netstat), similarly, I can telnet
and
> > > browse (http) localhost and see it in netstat.

> > > I cannot telnet or ftp or http to other machines on the same
network
> > > (though I can traceroute to these machines) or machines outside of
> my
> > > local network.  Both hosts.allow and hosts.deny had no entries.
> When
> > > put one of the other machines in hosts.allow as
> > > foo:ALL
> > > it had no effect.

> > > Why can't I connect to other machines even as I route to them?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

ping,traceroute,dns work; telnet,ftp don't - help (LNE100TX, tulip 0.9.13

Post by esche.. » Tue, 30 Jan 2001 16:41:27

I tried with the 2.1.14-3 kernel. I failed (same exact symptoms EXCEPT
now netstat -a on the Win98 machine shows SYN_RECEIVED packets when
trying to connect via FTP from the linux box but netstat -a on the
linux box does not show SYN_RECEIVED packets when trying to connect via
FTP from the win98 machine).

SO, I am guessing that my problem is not in my kernel.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/