my pppoe to Earthlink stopped working - RH7.2

my pppoe to Earthlink stopped working - RH7.2

Post by Harry Row » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 04:35:48

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....................

I had my pppoe to Earthlink working for a week but...

I managed to break something. I was trying to set up Samba
with my 2 windoze boxes(to no avail, but that is another
story) and my pppoe dsl connection stopped working. I had
so much jacked around I just reinstalled RH7.2.

I also reinstalled the rp-pppoe package and went through the
setup. It shows connected on adsl-start but I can't connect to
any host through the browsers.

ifconfig shows eth0, lo and ppp0 okay.

/sbin/route -n shows a proper Earthlink Destination address.
I can ping using the IP # but if I try to ping www.earthlink.com,
or anyone else it says unknown host.

I have been thru dejanews and google but I can't find much
and I keep spinning my wheels.

Be kind :^) My Linux knowledge is about 8 hours old...

A config file set wrong somewhere??

TIA,

Harry

Post by Hal Burgis » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 04:43:34

> I have been thru dejanews and google but I can't find much
> and I keep spinning my wheels.

> Be kind :^) My Linux knowledge is about 8 hours old...

> A config file set wrong somewhere??

nameserver setup in /etc/resolv.conf probably.

nameserver 192.168.10.1

That's for a local caching nameserver. If not running that, then you
want your ISPs nameserver(s) in there instead. Or somebody's :/

--
Hal Burgiss

Post by Harry Row » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 05:16:02

> nameserver setup in /etc/resolv.conf probably.

> nameserver 192.168.10.1

> That's for a local caching nameserver. If not running that, then you
> want your ISPs nameserver(s) in there instead. Or somebody's :/

> --
> Hal Burgiss

That file was empty.

However, I don't know what IP to stick in there?? Putting a number
in there at least made the browsers look for some domains but they
never connected.

Every time I connect I get a different IP from Earthlink. I usually
connect through Chicago and I get a 66.32.xxx.xxx or sometimes
a 192.xxx.xxx.xxx.

Or am I really misunderstanding something here? <G>

Regards,

Harry

Post by Hal Burgis » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 05:26:57

>> nameserver 192.168.10.1

>> That's for a local caching nameserver. If not running that, then you
>> want your ISPs nameserver(s) in there instead. Or somebody's :/

> That file was empty.

> However, I don't know what IP to stick in there?? Putting a number
> in there at least made the browsers look for some domains but they
> never connected.

Any nameserver IP will do, actually. I found these for earthlink:

ns1.earthlink.net.      1800    IN      A    207.217.126.41
ns2.earthlink.net.      1800    IN      A    207.217.77.42
ns3.earthlink.net.      1800    IN      A    207.217.120.43
ns4.earthlink.net.      1800    IN      A    209.179.179.19

Pick one or two, put on separate lines.

Quote:> Every time I connect I get a different IP from Earthlink. I usually
> connect through Chicago and I get a 66.32.xxx.xxx or sometimes
> a 192.xxx.xxx.xxx.

> Or am I really misunderstanding something here? <G>

rp-pppoe can/should be getting this info for you if you want. That is a
config option somewhere probably. Or you can hardwire them as being
suggested here.

--
Hal Burgiss

Post by Mark Damros » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 05:39:22

> > nameserver setup in /etc/resolv.conf probably.

> > nameserver 192.168.10.1

> > That's for a local caching nameserver. If not running that, then you
> > want your ISPs nameserver(s) in there instead. Or somebody's :/

> However, I don't know what IP to stick in there?? Putting a number
> in there at least made the browsers look for some domains but they
> never connected.

Go to http://support.earthlink.net

Enter DNS in the search box

Scroll down to the link named "Various Domain Settings (DNS, Mail and FTP
server settings)"

Find your domain in the list, and use the DNS servers listed for it.

my pppoe to Earthlink stopped working - RH7.2

Post by Harry Row » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 06:07:28

[snip]

> Go to http://support.earthlink.net

> Enter DNS in the search box

> Scroll down to the link named "Various Domain Settings (DNS, Mail and FTP
> server settings)"

> Find your domain in the list, and use the DNS servers listed for it.

MANY THANKS Mark and Hal! That did it.

I don't know why rp-pppoe is not resolving the domain names
but I'll post to his forum.

Regards,

Harry

1. Def. gw stops working with pppoe

System: Debian 3.0 w/ 2.4.20 custom and assorted stock kernels.
pppoe: 3.3 from Roaring Penguin (Also tried Enternet 100 for Linux
1.310.000 to no avail)
pppd: 2.4.1

Synopsis:
I run pppoe to connect to my ISP and have been doing so for five weeks.
Apparently the ISP has made some kind of change to their system during
the last weekend and will/can not tell me.
The system is 3.5GHz FWA.

Problem:
In up to approx. 20 secs after bringing up the connection it works fine
and I can connect to ICQ, ping hosts, get webpages and so on.
After that, packets will go through my ppp0 as usual, but I get no
traffic/answers in to the box again. It's like the def. gateway just
stops forwarding my packets.

The weird part is that I can still ping the default gw and other hosts
in the same IPpool.

I have not changed anything in the system. Just to make sure I've
installed a fresh and clean Debian on another box just to test: same result.

Doing
# ip route get <ip-of-host-on-the-'net>

returns same results all the time: send packets to the def. gw through ppp0.

The supplied client for Windows (Enternet) still works.
The accessboxen seems to be Cisco.

Questions:
What can they possibly have done?
What can I do to investigate further?
What can I do to make it work?

--
Steen Suder

2. solaris 8 sendmail binds to all interfaces no matter what

3. PPPoE and Earthlink DSL

4. SMC EtherCard PLUS Elite32 driver on SCO 3.2v4.2 and AST Premium SE 4/50

5. PPP options for Earthlink PPPOE

6. Success stories on G4 Cube?

7. Question about setting up Earthlink PPPoE ADSL connection on RedHat 7.3

8. tcsh

9. PPPoE with Earthlink/Mindspring ADSL

10. Problem with pppd/rp-pppoe and ADSL w/ Earthlink

11. Upgraded to latest RH7 RPMs - POP3 stopped working!

12. RH7.0 ftpd stopped working

13. RH7.3 - mgetty stopped working after up2date - what's wrong?