ethernet bridge bridge (brcfg), help!

Post by Kyle Hellewe » Sat, 09 May 1998 04:00:00

I'm trying to set up a bridge between a 100basetx and 10baset network.
For right now I'm testing it with both cards in 10baset mode between 2
computers.  Both cards are set up and detected fine, if config just
lists 0.0.0.0 as their ips, and brcfg lists both cards as its ports.
I can't see the computer on the other side of the bridge though.  I've
read the bridgeing mini-howto, and done what it says..  with the
excepion of the thing about how to remove the IP adderesses from the
interfaces (I'm running slakware, their example is for redhat)
although I did comment out the eth0 stuff in rc.inet1

 Anyone have any ideas? :)

to prevent spam

ethernet bridge bridge (brcfg), help!

Post by Martin J. Man » Sun, 10 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm trying to set up a bridge between a 100basetx and 10baset network.
> For right now I'm testing it with both cards in 10baset mode between 2
> computers.  Both cards are set up and detected fine, if config just
> lists 0.0.0.0 as their ips, and brcfg lists both cards as its ports.
> I can't see the computer on the other side of the bridge though.  I've
> read the bridgeing mini-howto, and done what it says..  with the
> excepion of the thing about how to remove the IP adderesses from the
> interfaces (I'm running slakware, their example is for redhat)
> although I did comment out the eth0 stuff in rc.inet1
>  Anyone have any ideas? :)

I had no luck getting bridging going using the current (0.2 I think)
brcfg.  Then out of desperation I yanked that off the bridge box and
installed the version from the Debian 1.3 disk (which has brcfg 0.1
IIRC) and it Just Worked.  I have no idea why unless there's some
subtle problem with the 0.2 brcfg release and the 2.0.33 (standard)
kernel - I've examined the Debian init.d/bridge script, and it's just
doing what I had done by hand when it was refusing to work.

It's a mystery, but it's a working mystery.  Luck!