How will I get Linux to recognize 2 Ethernet cards of the same make?

How will I get Linux to recognize 2 Ethernet cards of the same make?

Post by Andrey Smirno » Wed, 09 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

Even if you have 5 cards of the same brand you should be able to use them as
log as they have different resources (irq, i/o address, etc.).

If those card are PCI they will pickup all resources during initialization
time, if they are ISA, you need to use configuration program to change
resources (look at the vendor's web site, or check DOS driver diskette for
config program).

Good luck!

Post by John Hardi » Thu, 10 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>My SysAdmin put me up to asking this question, so if it seems a bit
>siplistic, please realize that I am a novice, so here goes.

>We have two D-Link Ethernet cards that we'll need to use our Linux-box
>as a proxy server and a site-hosting machine using DSL. We expect that
>Linux will have a problem recognizing the fact that 2 ethernet cards
>are there, because they are of EXACTLY the same make.

You can add as many cards as you like, provided they each have a different
IRQ and I/O address. Linux will automatically recognize the first card of
any given type. For subsequent cards you need to explicitly tell it the
card is there.

For example, if your second card was at IRQ11 and I/O address 0x310, you'd
add the following to your /etc/lilo.conf file:

    append="ether=11,0x310,eth1"

See the Ethernet HOWTO for more details.

You can also add the second card after boot:

    insmod -o eth1 ne2000 irq=11 io=0x310

..but then the boot-time scripts won't set up networking on that card
automatically.

--

 pgpk -a finger://gonzo.wolfenet.com/jhardin    PGP key ID: 0x41EA94F5
 PGP key fingerprint: A3 0C 5B C2 EF 0D 2C E5  E9 BF C8 33 A7 A9 CE 76

1. Problem getting Linux to recognize 3Com 3C509B-Combo ethernet card

Hi all,

I've noticed there's a couple of other people with similar problems
regarding the 3C509B ethernet card.  Here's my problem:

I have a 3C509B-Combo (10BaseT, 10Base2) card installed in my PC.
This machine can also boot DOS and Windows NT 3.5, and under NT the
network operates perfectly, so I know the card is installed and
configured correctly, and that all the cabling, hubs, etc. are working
properly.

Noticing from Pat Traynor's post that the Plug and Play feature might
be a problem with Linux and the 3C509, I booted DOS and used the
3C5x9cfg.exe file included on the floppy which was sold with the
3C509, to change "Plug and Play" to "Disabled".  Unfortunately, the
network was still unreachable when I rebooted Linux.  Then I
reinstalled LILO (so as to add a 5 sec delay instead of immediately
launching Linux) so I could type the following line at the Linux boot
prompt:

LILO: linux ether=11,0x300,0,1,eth0

but that didn't help either.

Here are the pertinent lines from the boot sequence:

.
.
.
Going multiuser...
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable
SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable
Mounting remote file systems...
.
.
.

Doesn't even look like it's probing for my card, which I thought
should have been taken care of when I disabled P&P.

I also downloaded the 3c5x9setup.c file as suggested by Helmut
Staudinger in response to Pat's posting, but couldn't compile it due
to a bunch of errors associated with inw, inwc, outw, and outwc.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I need to recompile my kernel or do a bunch of
black magic to get this thing working or not; I believe that there
must be some silly little thing that I haven't managed to configure
properly, and I just need to fix it.

So, if anybody has Linux networked with a 3C509B card, could you let
me know if you used any special procedures?

Thanks a lot!!

Steve

Steven J. Madsen, Research Engineer      Tel:    +81-6-908-6835
VR R&D Group, I.S. Center                Fax:    +81-6-900-2766

1048, Kadoma, Osaka 571  JAPAN

2. Using Dia for Gantt Charts

3. Help: getting second PCI DE435 ethernet card recognised

4. 3310: Disk expansion

5. HELP: Ethernet PCMCIA card recognised as memory card

6. an odd modem problem

7. Linux won't recognize two ethernet cards simultaneously

8. inetd[291]: netbios-ns/udp: bind: Address already in use

9. Is it so difficult for Linux to recognise my ADSL ethernet card?

10. DEC depca ethernet card recognized by Linux?

11. Linux doesn't recognize my AT-1700 Ethernet card

12. linux can't recognize my ethernet card.

13. Linux doesn't recognize my ethernet card