If anyone is using PPP to connect to a WinNT server Please read this!!

Post by Ke » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

If anyone is using PPP to connect to a WinNT server Please read this!!

I am trying to configure a Linux box to Dial up a winNT RAS server.
Apparently this is not so easy. I found some info on the Linux
Documentation Project about having to rewrite the ppp daemon.

My ISP is on WIn NT using PAP mode (not MSchap)
If anyone out there has this config. working I'd really like to find
out what files I need to setup.

For those who read this message b/c the title was interesting here's
the scoop:

Unlike most PCs the WinNT RAS setup does not issue a login prompt when
your modem connects, it just waits!
It is therefore nec. to reconfigure the pppd to work under NT.
(both for MSCHAP and PAP)

Drop me a line and I'll gladly foward anything I get to you.

Thanks,
Ken

If anyone is using PPP to connect to a WinNT server Please read this!!

Post by Jeremy.Rump » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Ken,

This is true, if your isp's NT server doesn't force MSchap. It has no
login prompts since it is waiting for the ppp stream from your linux box.
Login auth. will be handled by ppp. You need to edit your pap-secrets
file to include your login/password information. Also, your chat (or whatever
your using) scripts should return control to pppd after a "CONNECT" is
received from the modem..... hope this helps

-------------------------
Jeremy Rumpf
Senior Operations
Caresystems Corp

--------------------------

> If anyone is using PPP to connect to a WinNT server Please read this!!

> I am trying to configure a Linux box to Dial up a winNT RAS server.
> Apparently this is not so easy. I found some info on the Linux
> Documentation Project about having to rewrite the ppp daemon.

> My ISP is on WIn NT using PAP mode (not MSchap)
> If anyone out there has this config. working I'd really like to find
> out what files I need to setup.

> For those who read this message b/c the title was interesting here's
> the scoop:

> Unlike most PCs the WinNT RAS setup does not issue a login prompt when
> your modem connects, it just waits!
> It is therefore nec. to reconfigure the pppd to work under NT.
> (both for MSCHAP and PAP)

> Drop me a line and I'll gladly foward anything I get to you.

> Thanks,
> Ken

1. If anyone is using PPP to connect to a WinNT server Please read this!!

If anyone is using PPP to connect to a WinNT server Please read this!!

I am trying to configure a Linux box to Dial up a winNT RAS server.
Apparently this is not so easy. I found some info on the Linux
Documentation Project about having to rewrite the ppp daemon.

My ISP is on WIn NT using PAP mode (not MSchap)
If anyone out there has this config. working I'd really like to find
out what files I need to setup.

For those who read this message b/c the title was interesting here's
the scoop:

Unlike most PCs the WinNT RAS setup does not issue a login prompt when
your modem connects, it just waits!
It is therefore nec. to reconfigure the pppd to work under NT.
(both for MSCHAP and PAP)

Drop me a line and I'll gladly foward anything I get to you.

Thanks,
Ken

2. Problem with stat()

3. Telnet -ing to Linux server

4. ANYONE USING "HDB" SETUP FOR UUCP PLEASE READ.

5. IPC question (sockets)

6. Anyone using RedHat 4 -- please read!!

7. can't start tomcat

8. anyone else using openwin, please read...

9. Linux PPP connection with WinNT PPP server?

10. Can't reliably connect from WinNT WS to Linux over ppp

11. HELP: Connecting Linux (PPP) using PAP to an NT server....

12. Anyone have luck using linux ppp to NT server?