MAC address does not show up on the telco's ARP table caches

MAC address does not show up on the telco's ARP table caches

Post by dennishartma » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 04:57:15

// __ 20050915 14:15
 Hi,

 I am using as ISP that uses the telephone/DSL network from the local
telco to provide their clients with broadband/DSL access (they do
provide a better/marginally cheaper service).

 The thing is that I am repeatedly (and way too often) kicked off the
net in ways that even my ISP tech suppost considers to be "very
strange"

 I know I am connected to the Net because if I run ethereal setting my
card on promiscuos mode (I am connecting to the Net directly), I can
see the whole traffic of what is going on on my domain. I must be a
heck of a guesser to make up an ethereal ethernet traffic log.

 They have told me things like:

 ._ your MAC address does not show on the telco's cache.

 ._ your MAC does temporarily show on their ARP table cache
sometimes(?!), but as an imcomplete address

 ._ their ARP tables also show lots of different MAC addresses assigned
to you that are actually not yours

 Also my ISP has a procedure to refresh your NIC's MAC addresses that I
have used to no avail. I have even tried using dirrent NICs on X86
boxes and even a Mac.

 What could be the 'technical' reasons why this could be happening?

 Thanks
 dennishartman

MAC address does not show up on the telco's ARP table caches

Post by Volker Bir » Thu, 06 Oct 2005 05:33:11

[loosing connectivity]

Quote:>  What could be the 'technical' reasons why this could be happening?

This your provider must find out. This is much too less information
to help.

Yours,
VB.
--
If class libraries are compared to animals, MFC is the slime-warts toad.