DHCPcd 0.70 and RedHat 5.1

Post by Doug Jame » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Oh, this is frustrating....
 I'm running RedHat Linux 5.1 with kernel 2.0.34, and I need some advice on

homework, and I know what I need to get done, but there's some challenges in
the way. Here's where I'm at:

- Ethernet card's ok... everything looks fine there
- dhcpcd 0.65 installed on the system - this needs to be upgraded SO..
- research leads me to dhcpcd 0.70 - grabbed the source, rockin' now
- OOPS! source won't compile!
- more research informs me that the problem is 0.70 was made against libc5,
not glibc2(or something like that... it's a lib problem anyway)
- BUT, there's an rpm out there for 0.70! go get it..
- OOPS! The site has vanished into the bitbucket
- RedHat has 0.65 and 0.66 on site for 5.1... no 0.70
- formerly white monitor turned black from extremely profane outburst

What's the best thing to do next?
- Update/patch the libs? If so where are the files and instructions for a
newbie?
- Is there a newer version of dhcpcd that's stable with the 2.0.34 kernel?
AND compilable with the RH 5.1 libs? If so where do I get it?

Any help anyone can give will be deeply appreciated, but please keep in mind
I've only been using Linux for 21 days :)

-- Doug

DHCPcd 0.70 and RedHat 5.1

Post by John Mell » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> - Is there a newer version of dhcpcd that's stable with the 2.0.34 kernel?
> AND compilable with the RH 5.1 libs? If so where do I get it?

Grab the rpm from any redhat 5.2 or RawHide mirror site, or RedHat.  It works
fine with 5.1 libs.  Then add the new -h parm to the call in /sbin/ifup.
--

1. dhcpcd 0.7 won't compile on RedHat 5.1!

I've seen a few threads regarding this glitch and wanted to know if
anyone could send me a fix/explanation. I've spent several hours trying
to get dhcpcd 0.7 to compile on my redhat 5.1 box for my cable modem but
to no avail. The make just spits out a bunch of errors regarding
multiple definitions of #define constants and structs in the code,
starting in client.c and moving down the source files, the two main
offending files appear to be a conflict between
/usr/include/socketbits.h and /usr/include/linux/socket.h , and a
conflict between /usr/include/sys/if.h and /usr/include/linux/if.h (I
think). I really don't know enough about Linux to change the C code to
get it to work, so any help someone can give me would be greatly
appreciated.

*If ANYONE has gotted dhcpcd 0.7 to compile on a RedHat 5.0+ system,
PLEASE make a rpm and distro it!*

Greg Fodor

2. Linux Install CD Damage, or G4 Probs

3. where to find DHCPcd 0.70 for glibc?

4. startx problems

5. For everybody looking for dhcpcd 0.70 for RH5.1

6. Newbie question motherboards and linux

7. DHCPcd 0.70 not compiling

8. Imagine I128 and x-windows

9. DHCPcd 0.70 for glibc

10. dhcpcd and RedHat 5.1

11. dhcpcd client fails on redhat 5.1

12. DHCPCD Problems in Linux 5.1

13. dhcpcd problems on RH 5.1 and MediaOne