Very slow ADSL connection

Post by Jurrie Overgo » Tue, 16 Apr 2002 15:29:49

Hello all,

I have a problem (doh!): my ADSL connection is very slow. I wanted to
investigate this and I searched the web for a tool to show me
statistics. I found a little nifty program called nload. Nload gives
me:
ppp0: incoming avg: 20 kbits
          outgoing avg: 150 kbits

I suspect the incoming has to be a lot higher on a normal ADSL
conenction? So what's the problem with my RH7.1 router then?

I tried top, but my cpu is about 95% idle. And my load avarages are
around 0.05 to 0.08. So it appears my router is doing nothing!

So is my system the bottleneck, or is it my isp?

Any reply is appreciated,
                Greetz -- Jurrie

PS: Another strange thing: the total amount of data that passed over
my ppp0 connection is WAY higher than over my two network cards.
What's the cause?

Very slow ADSL connection

Post by Hal Burgis » Wed, 17 Apr 2002 07:52:46

Quote:

> I have a problem (doh!): my ADSL connection is very slow. I wanted to
> investigate this and I searched the web for a tool to show me
> statistics. I found a little nifty program called nload. Nload gives
> me:
> ppp0: incoming avg: 20 kbits
>           outgoing avg: 150 kbits

> I suspect the incoming has to be a lot higher on a normal ADSL
> conenction? So what's the problem with my RH7.1 router then?

> I tried top, but my cpu is about 95% idle. And my load avarages are
> around 0.05 to 0.08. So it appears my router is doing nothing!

> So is my system the bottleneck, or is it my isp?

Hard to say.

What kind of modem? If the modem has internal diagnostics, then check
the sync rate. See if it matches what you are paying for. If not,
complain. Then check error rate. Reset all the counters, start a
download, and see if the errors increase before your eyes. If so, a line
problem, call and complain.

Use 'ifconfig' to see if interface is showing high error rate.

How are you doing pppoe? Hardware? Software? rp-pppoe? Read the docs for
settings that might effect performance.

If all this checks out, find a reliabe ftp site (I use mozilla.org),
start a big download and time it. Calculate bytes/sec. Or use some eye
candy applet to show the speed of the connection.

--
Hal Burgiss

Very slow ADSL connection

Post by Karl Heye » Wed, 17 Apr 2002 08:44:27

> PS: Another strange thing: the total amount of data that passed over
> my ppp0 connection is WAY higher than over my two network cards.
> What's the cause?

It's probably fragmentation. Does these slow transfers affect all
machines, try downloading a file onto the router itself from the
internet and measure the transfer rate.

Change the MTU on the client machine to something lower like 1412
instead of 1500  or

Add the pppoe option
CLAMPMSS=1412

If you LAN client does not set the DF bit on packets then Path
MTU discovery won't occur and fragmention will slow the link. If
they do then it may work provided ICMP (type 3) packets are
passed back.

Check the above first as it's a fairly common error.

karl.

1. website built on ADSL connection: slow remote not local

Hello,

I have to resolve to your help again. I think I had just
solved the FQDN problem (you may know that I am still a
networking newbie).

I setup a website with dynamic DNS service and a ADSL
connection. I have good experiene when testing the website
locally. But heck, my friends said that they have
problems browsing the website esp the forum:
The connection cannot be setup indeed. Otherwise(if the
connection is OK), they have no problems with its speed.

I think I may have a bad DNS service (owing to my ISP partly).
Now I want to confirm it or whatever the problem. My
website is www.dayspot.com the forum is
http://www.dayspot.com/forum/YaBB.pl Hopefully you don't
regard it as an Ad.

Thank you!
Wenjie

2. Are there any known problems with using a swap partition smaller than your physical ram?

3. USB ADSL connection very slow on Linux (but fast on Windows)

4. No Keyboard w/ XDM

5. Please help with connection ADSL connection hangs

6. auto mounting compressed ramdrive images

7. Slow slow connection over 14.4 dip/slip 19.2

8. Anyone get Linux working under AMD K7 or Carmino Chipset??

9. One NFS connection fine, one NFS connection slow

10. Slow connection to my BSD Server via 100Mbit Connection - IPFW/NATD/HTTPD/FTPD

11. Fast linux-windows connection, slow linux-linux connection??

12. Slow PPP Connection But Minicom Connection Fine

13. PPP dialin -> ADSL link == slow