hard drive w/bad blocks

Post by Steve Ludewi » Sun, 01 Jun 1997 04:00:00

I'm trying to install Linux on a couple old PCs.  The hard drives have
some bad blocks, but work okay with DOS.  I haven't been able to install
Linux apparently due to hard drive errors. (I do have experience
installing Linux successfully on other PCs).

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Steve

hard drive w/bad blocks

Post by Boris Gjener » Sun, 01 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> I'm trying to install Linux on a couple old PCs.  The hard drives have
> some bad blocks, but work okay with DOS.  I haven't been able to install
> Linux apparently due to hard drive errors. (I do have experience
> installing Linux successfully on other PCs).

> Any ideas would be appreciated.

> Steve

Just give the -c option to mke2fs.  This will cause e2fsck to mark the
bad blocks.  You can also provide a list of bad blocks with the -l
option.  Look at the mke2fs(8) manpage for more information.

BTW.  I have installed Linux on an MFM drive by using the -c option.
mke2fs found the bad blocks and everything works great.

--

|  Home page:  http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bgjenero/     |
|  "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to   |