linux newbie needs help with dip and dynamic slip

linux newbie needs help with dip and dynamic slip

Post by Charles Gunaw » Thu, 30 Mar 1995 04:00:00

Hmm...

This might sound awfully stupid but as a linux newbie I think this newsgroup
is a good way to ask questions about linux and stuff. :)

I have a dynamic slip acct and a Linux Slackware, but after days reading the HOWTO I still
can't figure out these problems below:

I tried to use dip but the modem doesn't connect. It doesn't even make a sound.
If you have a dip configuration for dynamic slip, could you send me the file,
please? :)

Also, how to test the slip connection once I get connected? I tried to email myself from elm
but it bounced back to me with some error messages. Do I have to setup something for this email thing
so it can go outside my computer? And same thing goes with ftp and telnet; I can't connect to
outside world.

Thanks for the info. :)

Post by Steve R. Mart » Thu, 30 Mar 1995 04:00:00

: I have a dynamic slip acct and a Linux Slackware, but after days reading the HOWTO I still
: can't figure out these problems below:

Here are copies of the files I used for my Dynamic SLIP connection:

****************************
/etc/hosts
****************************
#
# hosts         This file describes a number of hostname-to-address
#               mappings for the TCP/IP subsystem.  It is mostly
#               used at boot time, when no name servers are running.
#               On small systems, this file can be used instead of a
#               "named" name server.  Just add the names, addresses
#               and any aliases to this file...
#

# For loopbacking.
127.0.0.1       localhost
198.59.162.6    dns.rt66.com    dns    # My domain name server.
198.59.162.1    mack.rt66.com   mack   # My slip host.
# End of hosts.

*****************************
/etc/resolv.conf
*****************************
domain ampr.org
#      ^^^^^^^^ This needs to be replaced with your local domain. SM
nameserver 198.59.162.6
#          ^^^^^^^^^^^^ The rt66 domain name server IP address. SM

******************************
/sbin/dyna.dip
******************************
#!/sbin/dip
        #
        # Connection script for dynamic CSLIP
        # Jason Wessel

        # modified for Intel modem and my machine
        #
        # Hacked and modified for my machine.  - Steve Martin

        #

main:
  get $mtu 1500
        # Ip number of the slip router
        # Used for the point to point type connection
  get $remote dns.rt66.com
        #     ^^^^^^^^^^^^ refer to the 'hosts.bak' file.
        # Set the desired serial port and speed.
        # Your situation may be different.
        # Com1
  port cua0
     # ^^^^ Change this for your 'cua?' that has your modem.
        # Works well with my 14400 Intel Fax Modem
  speed 38400
  parity N
  databits 8
  stopbits 1
        # Reset the modem and terminal line.
  flush
  send \r\n\r\n
        # Initialization for the Supra Fax Modem You will have to change
        # this to match what type of modem you have
        # This works for my Intel SatisFaxion modem also. SM
  send ATZ\r
  wait OK 2
  send ATL0&c1\r
  wait OK 2
  if $errlvl != 0 goto error
        # Niffty redial when busy
redial:
        # Dial our slip server from local phone
  send atdt3439915\r
        #  ^^^^^^ This is the rt66 slip number. SM
  wait BUSY 15
  if $errlvl == 0 goto sleeping
  flush
  wait CONNECT 60
  if $errlvl != 0 goto error

        # We are connected.  Login to the system.
login:
   sleep 3
   wait ogin: 10
   if $errlvl != 0 goto error

        # REPLACE YOURLOGINNAME with your login name.

        send Syour_login_name\r
        wait ord: 5
   if $errlvl != 0 goto error

        # REPLACE YOUR_PASSWORD with your password.

        send YOUR_PASSWORD\r
        sleep 3
        wait to 30
        #    ^^ This may have to be changed to match your host's response.
        get $local remote
   if $errlvl != 0 goto error
done:
   default
   print CSLIP to $remote with address $local
   mode CSLIP
   goto exit

error:
   print SLIP to $remote failed.
   goto exit

sleeping:
        # In case the lines are busy :)
   sleep 120
   goto redial

exit:

<root's home directory>/rt66
#!/bin/sh
# shell script to dial in using dip
# and place a dynamaically assigned IP address
# into /etc/hosts
# /tmp/local_name is a file with my local machine name
# /etc/hosts.back is the default /etc/hosts file with
# 127.0.0.1 localhost as the only entry
#
# I run this from the 'root' account and keep it in the '~' directory
#       for root. SM

dip /sbin/dyna 2>&1
sleep 5
ifconfig | fgrep P-t-P | cut -c21-35 > /tmp/ip
paste /tmp/ip /tmp/local_name > /tmp/host_bottom
#             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Be sure you have this file with your local
#                             node name in it.
cat /etc/hosts.bak /tmp/host_bottom > /etc/hosts
rm /tmp/ip
rm /tmp/host_bottom

**********************************

Ok, now for the*details --

When you have things the way you want it in your '/etc/hosts' file, copy
it to '/etc/hosts.bak'.  This is used to make the new version of
'/etc/hosts' after the connection is made.  That way you will be able to
telnet to your SLIP host.  Read through all the above files and make the
changes you need for your situation.  I shamelessly copied most of this
stuff from another posting, so use at your own risk :)  They work for me
but your Linux may differ.  On my Linux box at work, I had to put an
extra 'sleep 2' just before the 'atdt' command in the '/sbin/dyna.dip' to
get it to actually work.  If things don't work, run the dip file with the
following command line:

# dip -v /sbin/dyna

This will at least show you where things are crapping out.  Have fun with
this.  I'm new to Linux and don't know all the answers, but I spent a
week getting this to work.  Hopefully, it won't take you as long :)  BTW,
I am running Linux 1.2.0 and you need to start it up from 'root'.

-------
Steven R. Martin
"No that's not a arrow stuck in my ear!"

1. Need help with DIP in dynamic slip env.

I am having some trouble getting DIP v.3.37 (uri) working from home.

I am dialing into a bank of modems which supports 32 lines.  I dial
one number and may be attached to anyone of 32 modems which are on two
terminal servers.  My problem is I don't understand how to make dip
acquire the remote IP address dynamically (which I assume it can do
via BOOTP).  It seems that DIP is designed for static environments or
well known dynamic environments.

Ideally, I would expect DIP to be able to get the netmask, remote
gateway, etc via bootp... Am I correct about this?

If anyone can offer suggestions I would appreciate the help very
much...

--
+---------------------------------+----------------------------------------+
| Paul Nazario                    |                                        |

| University of Kansas            | Phone:     (913) 864-0421              |
+---------------------------------+----------------------------------------+

2. Obtain the date of "last modification" ?

3. dip and Xylogics annex (dynamic SLIP) help needed

4. solaris 2.4 ppp

5. Absolute SLIP, PPP, DIP newbie needs serious HELP!

6. AfterStep and background image

7. HELP with dip and dynamic SLIP connection

8. help dip SLIP wil dynamic IP server

9. Need help - SLIP/DIP with Slackware Linux setup

10. Linux help needed-Slip,dip,netcom shell,tia specific

11. Newbie SLIP/DIP help please ?

12. Newbie: Help Dip,SLIP