Traffic counting

Post by Dmitry Davletbae » Thu, 05 May 2005 14:34:22

Hi!

Is iptables/ipchains the only mechanism to count network traffic in Linux? If
not, what are other mechanisms?

Thank you.

--
Dmitry Davletbaev.

Traffic counting

Post by Mihai Osia » Thu, 05 May 2005 16:25:21

>Hi!

>Is iptables/ipchains the only mechanism to count network traffic in Linux? If
>not, what are other mechanisms?

>Thank you.

  There is a number of traffic accounting programs based on libpcap. I
use pmacct, for example, but there are more.

Hope this helps,
Mihai

Traffic counting

Post by Alexander Cloute » Sat, 07 May 2005 00:50:29

Dmitry,

Quote:> Hi!

> Is iptables/ipchains the only mechanism to count network traffic in Linux? If
> not, what are other mechanisms?

depends what you are counting, we for example have L2TP tunnels and use the
l2tpd daemon to do the counting for us.  All you do is script a telnet in and
running a particular command and munching the output.

If you do use iptables and have more than 500 individual IP's to track I
recommend you 'hash' the IP's.  Create a bunch of chains for each /24, /26,
/28, whatever suits you best and have first of all a bunch of iptables rules
to jump to the correct chain.  Think always in terms of 'average rule parsing
length' and try to keep this value as low as possible.

Cheers

Alex

1. Traffic count?

Hi,

Ive got a slackware server running.
How can I count the Incomming and outgoing traffic?
I need something like a log where I can see the daily&month
traffic. With mrtg Ive nice graphics about netspeed but no traffic
is shown.

Anybody an idea?

Bye
Chriss

2. /etc/issue & /etc/motd

3. help: traffic count in network with Linux

4. ac command

5. traffic counting

6. Using passwords for hylafax?

7. count traffic of web services

8. Hand up Wintrolls who know Valerie G. Mallinson of Shoreline

9. count ethernet traffic

10. counting traffic to individual hosts behind a NAT router using ONLY iptables

11. How to setup SNMP on linux to count network traffic ?

12. Counting traffic on multiple ip adresses ?

13. Counting NON-IP & BROADCAST traffic ?