lots of hub collisions with FA-311 and DFE530-TX

lots of hub collisions with FA-311 and DFE530-TX

Post by Jason Bow » Wed, 17 Oct 2001 10:23:53



I just put a Netgear FA-311 card in my Linux box.  In my Win2k box I have
an D-Link DFE530-TX.  I used the driver that came with the Netgear card
and was getting a 10% error rate on TX packets.  I grabbed the natsemi
driver and now I don't have any TX errors but but the Windows box has them
now.  Any clues?  I don't know much about networking and both cards are
half-duplex, they were before too.  I'm running XFree/Cygwin to display
X on my Windows box and the speed is acceptable but I'm sure it would be
even better if I could get rid of these darn collisions.  I'm asking here
because I'm assuming that others have similar setups and might be able to
provide clues
Thanks
Jason
 
 
 

lots of hub collisions with FA-311 and DFE530-TX

Post by Jason Bow » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 00:04:55


I tried setting both cards to full duplex but the performance was even
worse.  I get 180k-200k/sec from the Win2k box to the Linux box, this was
reversed before I changed to the natsemi driver. Do some cards just not
get along?



>I just put a Netgear FA-311 card in my Linux box.  In my Win2k box I have
>an D-Link DFE530-TX.  I used the driver that came with the Netgear card
>and was getting a 10% error rate on TX packets.  I grabbed the natsemi
>driver and now I don't have any TX errors but but the Windows box has them
>now.  Any clues?  I don't know much about networking and both cards are
>half-duplex, they were before too.  I'm running XFree/Cygwin to display
>X on my Windows box and the speed is acceptable but I'm sure it would be
>even better if I could get rid of these darn collisions.  I'm asking here
>because I'm assuming that others have similar setups and might be able to
>provide clues
>Thanks
>Jason


 
 
 

lots of hub collisions with FA-311 and DFE530-TX

Post by Karl Heye » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 01:40:21




> I tried setting both cards to full duplex but the performance was even
> worse. I get 180k-200k/sec from the Win2k box to the Linux box, this was
> reversed before I changed to the natsemi driver. Do some cards just not get
> along?

Thats a duplex mismatch. I suspect you have a hub which isn't or doesn't do
full duplex.  If the hub doesn't do autoneg/full then fix it to half. You
will get collisions on a half duplex net.

karl.

 
 
 

lots of hub collisions with FA-311 and DFE530-TX

Post by Jason Bow » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 01:49:26






>> I tried setting both cards to full duplex but the performance was even
>> worse. I get 180k-200k/sec from the Win2k box to the Linux box, this was
>> reversed before I changed to the natsemi driver. Do some cards just not get
>> along?

>Thats a duplex mismatch. I suspect you have a hub which isn't or doesn't do
>full duplex.  If the hub doesn't do autoneg/full then fix it to half. You
>will get collisions on a half duplex net.

>karl.

Why only one direction though?  Linux->Win hums along at 970Kbps while the
Win->Linux maxs out around 200Kbps, that is with both cards running
half-duplex.  Upgrading the driver on the Linux box just switched the
direction of the collisions.  Thanks for the insight.
 
 
 

lots of hub collisions with FA-311 and DFE530-TX

Post by Karl Heye » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 03:53:03




>>Thats a duplex mismatch. I suspect you have a hub which isn't or doesn't do
>>full duplex.  If the hub doesn't do autoneg/full then fix it to half. You
>>will get collisions on a half duplex net.

>>karl.

> Why only one direction though?  Linux->Win hums along at 970Kbps while the
> Win->Linux maxs out around 200Kbps, that is with both cards running
> half-duplex.  Upgrading the driver on the Linux box just switched the
> direction of the collisions.  Thanks for the insight.

IIRC. The structure is

linux <-----> hub <------> windows

if there is a duplex mismatch between linux(half) and the hub(full) and the
transfers are from linux then linux will back off and retry a short while
after, there won't be much data coming the other way to be a big problem. In
the other direction the hub just fires off the packet and ignores any
potential retrying.  In the latter case a lost packet will get trapped
further up the windows IP stack and retryed causing significant bubbles in
the transfer.

The key thing with duplex is make both ends of the cable have the same
setting. You can get away with other settings but it is best avoided.

karl.

karl.

 
 
 

1. Netgear fa-311 problems with knoppix (debian) please help

hey everybody. ive searched all over the internet, and i finally got a
driver for my netgear fa-311 card.

Now, the hard part.

i dont understand how to install/compile the driver at all, ive got the
driver .zip file, which contains a txt file a .c file and i think a .o file,
now how (in steps) do i install it?

im a newb so be gentle :P

2. gcc 2.4.5 and linking device drivers under Solaris 2.x

3. Netgear FA-311

4. Bug in 2.4.5 in proc_pid_make_inode ()

5. anyone have any luck getting Netgear FA-311 NIC to work in RH7.0?

6. Soundblaster 16 device driver support

7. Problem with DFE530-TX rev.A NIC (via-rhine driver)

8. Linux and Netscape

9. Mandrake 7,2 + D-Link DFE530-TX

10. D-Link DFE530-TX into Redhat 5.2 problem

11. D-Link DFE530-TX not working with tulip.o

12. Netgear FA 311 NIC

13. More Netgear FA 311 NIC problems