Need to disable idle timeout on telnet

Post by Ken Brow » Tue, 25 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I need to disable the automatic disconnect that telnetd seems to have in
redhat 6.0. Our users connect locally and work all day on the system. I have
looked at the man page for in.telnetd and can't find an entry for this.
There is an option to disable keepalives (which should be enabled by
default) but either my terminal emulation packages (I have tried 3) do not
support the keepalives or in.telnetd is not sending them out. Since the
connections are local I do not need the security of the auto disconnect. If
anyone knows how to disable this I would appreciate it.

Need to disable idle timeout on telnet

Post by mcnu.. » Tue, 25 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I don't think the timeout is in telnet.  I think it's in the shell (bash
or tcsh).  Check the man pages for those first.

But AFAIK, telnetd doesn't care about activity timers.

--J

: I need to disable the automatic disconnect that telnetd seems to have in
: redhat 6.0. Our users connect locally and work all day on the system. I have
: looked at the man page for in.telnetd and can't find an entry for this.
: There is an option to disable keepalives (which should be enabled by
: default) but either my terminal emulation packages (I have tried 3) do not
: support the keepalives or in.telnetd is not sending them out. Since the
: connections are local I do not need the security of the auto disconnect. If
: anyone knows how to disable this I would appreciate it.

Need to disable idle timeout on telnet

Post by Ken Brow » Tue, 25 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I thought about this but the only thing I could find in bash was a TMOUT
setting (which is not set). It seems as though it has to be either a
networking thing or a telnet thing. If I'm logged in on the console I do not
have the problem but my settings within bash and the environment variables
look the same.

> I don't think the timeout is in telnet.  I think it's in the shell (bash
> or tcsh).  Check the man pages for those first.

> But AFAIK, telnetd doesn't care about activity timers.

> --J

> : I need to disable the automatic disconnect that telnetd seems to have in
> : redhat 6.0. Our users connect locally and work all day on the system. I
have
> : looked at the man page for in.telnetd and can't find an entry for this.
> : There is an option to disable keepalives (which should be enabled by
> : default) but either my terminal emulation packages (I have tried 3) do
not
> : support the keepalives or in.telnetd is not sending them out. Since the
> : connections are local I do not need the security of the auto disconnect.
If
> : anyone knows how to disable this I would appreciate it.

Need to disable idle timeout on telnet

Post by mcnu.. » Tue, 25 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hmmm... Interesting.

Looking at 'man in.telnetd' and 'man login' suggests that the only thing that
might apply to this is the TCP keepalives, but those apply to the connection,
not the login session.

Other than that, it looks like in.telnetd and login don't care about login
times (further supported by the fact that this doesn't happen to me when
logged into some systems).

You might look into the compile-time options in login or bash.  You might
also look in /etc/inetd.conf and find out how in.telnetd is calling login
and/or how login is calling bash.  Bash itself has a -login switch that may
be part of the deal here.

Other than that, I'm kind of stumped.  <whistle>

--J

: I thought about this but the only thing I could find in bash was a TMOUT
: setting (which is not set). It seems as though it has to be either a
: networking thing or a telnet thing. If I'm logged in on the console I do not
: have the problem but my settings within bash and the environment variables
: look the same.

:> I don't think the timeout is in telnet.  I think it's in the shell (bash
:> or tcsh).  Check the man pages for those first.
:>
[...]

I've pretty much followed the same train of thought that you have and it's
definitely giving me fits. I've been using UNIX (SCO, AIX, etc.) for many
years and as far as I can recall I've not run into this before or if I did I
got it resolved quickly enough that it did not become a memorable problem. I
know it's got to be on the Linux side because using the same terminal
emulation package I can open one session on Linux and one on SCO UNIX. The
SCO one will stay up forever but the Linux seems to timeout in about 15 or
20 minutes. I just can't believe that it's this hard to find an answer. I
know it is something stupid that I am missing but I thought sure someone
else would have run accross it and could give me a quick answer. I've
searched RedHat and others web sites, pulled down the telnet-server source
and looked through it thinking I would see if it were looking for a
particular environment variable or something, but so far I just haven't
found the solution. I'll keep chugging though.

> Hmmm... Interesting.

> Looking at 'man in.telnetd' and 'man login' suggests that the only thing
that
> might apply to this is the TCP keepalives, but those apply to the
connection,
> not the login session.

> Other than that, it looks like in.telnetd and login don't care about login
> times (further supported by the fact that this doesn't happen to me when
> logged into some systems).

> You might look into the compile-time options in login or bash.  You might
> also look in /etc/inetd.conf and find out how in.telnetd is calling login
> and/or how login is calling bash.  Bash itself has a -login switch that
may
> be part of the deal here.

> Other than that, I'm kind of stumped.  <whistle>

> --J

> : I thought about this but the only thing I could find in bash was a TMOUT
> : setting (which is not set). It seems as though it has to be either a
> : networking thing or a telnet thing. If I'm logged in on the console I do
not
> : have the problem but my settings within bash and the environment
variables
> : look the same.

> :> I don't think the timeout is in telnet.  I think it's in the shell
(bash
> :> or tcsh).  Check the man pages for those first.
> :>
> :> But AFAIK, telnetd doesn't care about activity timers.
> :>
> :> --J
> :>

> :> : I need to disable the automatic disconnect that telnetd seems to have
in
> :> : redhat 6.0. Our users connect locally and work all day on the system.
> : have
> :> : looked at the man page for in.telnetd and can't find an entry for
this.
> :> : There is an option to disable keepalives (which should be enabled by
> :> : default) but either my terminal emulation packages (I have tried 3)
do
> : not
> :> : support the keepalives or in.telnetd is not sending them out. Since
the
> :> : connections are local I do not need the security of the auto
disconnect.
> : If
> :> : anyone knows how to disable this I would appreciate it.
> :>
> :>

Need to disable idle timeout on telnet

Post by Ken Brow » Wed, 26 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I found my problem, I'm an idiot. I didn't even think about the fact that I
was going through my firewall for this. Within about 20 minutes of saying to
myself, 'I wonder if the firewall could be causing this', I found the
answer. I had to do a 'ipfwadm -M -s 99999 10 60' command. I left it
connected overnight and it's working perfectly.

Thanks for your help.

> [...]

> in
> > :> : redhat 6.0. Our users connect locally and work all day on the
system.
> > : have
> > :> : looked at the man page for in.telnetd and can't find an entry for
> this.
> > :> : There is an option to disable keepalives (which should be enabled
by
> > :> : default) but either my terminal emulation packages (I have tried 3)
> do
> > : not
> > :> : support the keepalives or in.telnetd is not sending them out. Since
> the
> > :> : connections are local I do not need the security of the auto
> disconnect.
> > : If
> > :> : anyone knows how to disable this I would appreciate it.

Post by Zubin Chandr » Wed, 26 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I need to disable the automatic disconnect that telnetd seems to have in
>redhat 6.0. Our users connect locally and work all day on the system. I have
>looked at the man page for in.telnetd and can't find an entry for this.
>There is an option to disable keepalives (which should be enabled by
>default) but either my terminal emulation packages (I have tried 3) do not
>support the keepalives or in.telnetd is not sending them out. Since the
>connections are local I do not need the security of the auto disconnect. If
>anyone knows how to disable this I would appreciate it.

This is probably not a telnet setting but a shell setting. I use tcsh
under Red Hat, and use:

        unset auto-logout

within my .cshrc file to disable the 60 minute timeout. I don't use
bash so I'm not that familiar with it, but it should be something
similar.

Hope it helps..

1. How to disable the idle timeout of my xterm ?

Dear all,

My xterms will always get shut off after about 1 hour of idle time.
Then the system will send to root a email for shutdown of ttyp?.
How can I disable this ?

I'm using WindowMaker in Debian.

Thank you very much.

    /\                                                                \

     | -------------------------------------------------------------- |
     |  Electrical Engineering       :    526 W112th Street, Apt 62   |
     |  Columbia University          :    New York, NY 10025          |
     |  Tel:  212-932-1689 (H)       :    ICQ UIN: 19613067           |
     | _______________________________________________________________|_
     \/________________________________________________________________/

2. WANTED: Authors for Linux Gazette

3. Idle-Timeout with Telnet and SSH

4. How to find mac address on AIX

5. telnet idle timeout

6. NIS question - RPC: Program not registered

7. Telnet/Ssh idle timeout

8. How to get the local time in linux kernel ?

9. Telnet / SSH Idle Timeout

10. idle timeouts (ssh and telnet): where is this set?

11. telnet idle timeout

12. idle Telnet timeout

13. set idle timeout for telnet and wu-ftpd