How To: Dialup ISP server???

Post by Wolf » Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:26:27

I am looking at setting up a Linux box to act as an in-house Dialup ISP. I
will have it connect to my internal broadband network, and would like to be
able to dial into it and have it route the internet connection via the
dialup connection. This will allow me to connect to the internet when not
at home. Has anyone done this before, or know where I can find information
on how to do this? Thanks for all the help.

WOLFE

How To: Dialup ISP server???

Post by James Knot » Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:08:44

> I am looking at setting up a Linux box to act as an in-house Dialup ISP. I
> will have it connect to my internal broadband network, and would like to
> be able to dial into it and have it route the internet connection via the
> dialup connection. This will allow me to connect to the internet when not
> at home. Has anyone done this before, or know where I can find information
> on how to do this? Thanks for all the help.

Yes, I have done it.  There's some info on the Linux Documentation Project,
www.tldp.org,  for setting up a "mini ISP".  while it's based on an older
version of Red Hat, it should be adaptable to any distro.

How To: Dialup ISP server???

Post by Wolf » Tue, 01 Feb 2005 05:04:56

>> I am looking at setting up a Linux box to act as an in-house Dialup
>> ISP. I will have it connect to my internal broadband network, and
>> would like to be able to dial into it and have it route the internet
>> connection via the dialup connection. This will allow me to connect
>> to the internet when not at home. Has anyone done this before, or
>> know where I can find information on how to do this? Thanks for all
>> the help.

> Yes, I have done it.  There's some info on the Linux Documentation
> Project, www.tldp.org,  for setting up a "mini ISP".  while it's based
> on an older version of Red Hat, it should be adaptable to any distro.

Thanks, I will see what I can find on that site.

How To: Dialup ISP server???

Post by David Efflan » Tue, 01 Feb 2005 08:06:54

> I am looking at setting up a Linux box to act as an in-house Dialup ISP. I
> will have it connect to my internal broadband network, and would like to be
> able to dial into it and have it route the internet connection via the
> dialup connection. This will allow me to connect to the internet when not
> at home. Has anyone done this before, or know where I can find information
> on how to do this? Thanks for all the help.

Note that dialup to your own system will be limited to 33.6K maximum
(V.34).  You cannot act as 56K server (V.90/V.92) without special hardware
and telco connection.

If your ISP does not include dialup, and you travel at all, it may be
wiser to also get low cost dialup ISP, which may give a faster connection
without long distance charges.

1. Automated Dialup to ISP and Rotating ISP Accounts

Hi,

I have set up a redhat v5.0 box using NAT at home for the usual reasons.
Everything is running perfectly, but only 1 account.

Our household has 4 accounts, 1 x 25 hours and 3 x 8 hours (in the previous
seven days). At the moment, when the 25hr hour account is used up, I have to
telnet or ftp to the linux box and change the dial-in script to the next
account.

I was wanting to know if anyone has created a script that does at least some
of the following:

1. When dialing, choose the account with the most hours based on the usage
in the previous seven days.

2. Be able to cycle around a group of phone numbers if one is busy
(unfortunately, the uni has several sets of phone numbers)

3. Allow for 1 phone number to connect using PAP instead of a shell script
to start PPP (haven't got this one to work yet at all)

4. When a connection is cut by the terminal server, to automatically redial,
but using another account (we get kicked for a period of time before being
allowed to re-connecting using that account.

I know this may sound a bit elaborate, but if at least part of my
requirement have already be coded, I can modify this to suit my needs.

Would be interested to know how useful this type of script would be. If I
have to write it, and if there is a reasonable amount of interest, I would
be happy to post it to a web site (geocities, or somewhere, preferably a
linux site).

If I end up writing this, can anyone suggest a scripting language? Several
people have already suggested to use a standard shell script, but I don't
know if that would be able to hand all of the logic I require. Does anyone
know if PERL could handle something like this? Please let me know

Thanks

Darren

2. Mounting MSDOS & Mitsumi problems

3. WWW Server with ISP dialup

4. Sized_io vs Auth

5. ODARS ISP Server free for commercial/institutional ISP's

6. NFS server hiding files?

7. ODARS ISP Server free for commercial/institutional ISPs/IPPs

8. xserver-wrapper, xstart SiS problem

9. free isp 1nol.com dialup?

10. Dialup PPP connection can't see past ISP box

11. Linux and two dialup ISP's

12. Albuquerque ISP w/ Linux dialup support?

13. DialUp ISP Connection