SMTP AUTH NOW RUNNING, CLIENT CANNOT BE AUTHENTICATED?

SMTP AUTH NOW RUNNING, CLIENT CANNOT BE AUTHENTICATED?

Post by gaius.petroni » Mon, 29 Apr 2002 16:09:29

THIS is the log error message

did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN

it occurs when the Outlook client is prompted for a passwd from the
mail server and then enters the passwd correctly, but the prompt
simply blinks and does not vanish as it should when one has
successfully logged in.

The server side *seems* to be OK
So if this is an Outlook problem, i'll take my question to the Outlook
people for better or worse...

Here's my "evidence" that my server is running properly:

sendmail -d0.1 -bv root | grep SASL
                NETINET NETUNIX NEWDB QUEUE SASL SCANF SFIO SMTP
STARTTLS

telnet localhost 25
[snip]
220  ESMTP Sendmail 8.11.6/8.11.2; Sun, 28 Apr 2002 14:58:18 -0400
EHLO LOCALHOST
[snip]
[127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE 50000000
250-DSN
250-ONEX
250-XUSR
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN ANONYMOUS
250 HELP

What i understand from the documentation i am reading is that Outlook
uses LOGIN

What is the meaning of that error message please

1. MX cannot relay mail to a particular SMTP AUTH server

MX cannot relay mail to a particular SMTP AUTH server

now that i have smtp auth running on 8.12, i have discovered a new
problem for 1 particular address

the MX (server1) handles the domain
the SMTP AUTH (server2) handles roaming users' smtp

it so happens that on server1 i have an alias for my address which
points to server2

this is also how i relay all root account mail

the alias is like
rut:  root

the messages i am getting on the MX (server1) now are

pri=30231, relay=dns1.sunly.com., dsn=5.0.0, stat=Service unavailable

this never used to happen

i looked on a client and the returned mail message is 553
authetication required

so now i have another problem
perhaps there is more than one way to handle it

i *need* the mail to go there
i *need* the machine to enforce smtp authentication for users

i tried various gymnastics through the access.db but no go

slide past the authentication process.

if not, what must i enable on the MX *only* for this particular
address relay

2. Doom + Abuse + Abuse + Chess + EMACS + Netscape = no problem!

3. Any Console Mail Client with POP3 and SMTP-auth supported??

4. MIDI Card

5. HOWTO: configure sendmail with SMTP AUTH as client

6. bitmaps/bitops

7. How to set sendmail SMTP auth and SMTP SSL on Solaris 9 (x86)

8. SCO 5.0.4 on high resolution laptop

11. KSCD and authenticating SMTP servers (a FreeDB dilemma)

12. Port of sendmail including SMTP AUTH?

13. SMTP AUTH