Setting up Net Gateway in Linux?

Post by x005 » Sun, 10 Sep 2006 04:26:01

Hi all,

This is a repost from alt.os.linux. I apologize for multiposting, but I
think this is a more appropriate group for the question.

I have a computer with 2 NICs, eth0 is 10/100, and eth1 is gigabit. I
also have a brand new router from the wonderful folks over at Netgear.
The router is WNR854T and it is the worst piece of shit I have ever
owned :(

Basically, it's very unstable and it crashes regularly. What I would
like to do is connect the DSL modem directly to eth0 and then connect
the plug eth1 to one of the ports on the router. That way, if it
freezes, my server would not be effected. I searched for tutorials but I
keep finding ether entire volumes on ipchains or something dealing with
2.2 kernel :( Can some one recommend a good tutorial that deals with
this in the context of a modern kernel and perhaps debian? Something for
braindonors is perfect, not  that I do not want to learn, just have no
time in the next few weeks :( First few weeks of law school.

As suggested I took a look at few packages, one of them being gShield.
It seams like that would do the trick, but I am afraid that the script
would set something, and later on I would not know how to fix things, if
something was to go wrong. A simple, step by step example on how to set
this up manually would be best, but I can not find one.

Would much appreciate any help,

 - Bogdan

Post by x005 » Mon, 11 Sep 2006 03:06:31

>> The router is WNR854T and it is the worst piece of shit I have ever
>> owned :(

> So why don't you return it and get a new one?

I would, unfortunately the 30 day return period is up. I bought it
before moving, and did not plug it in until 3 weeks later.

Quote:

>> Basically, it's very unstable and it crashes regularly. What I would
>> like to do is connect the DSL modem directly to eth0 and then connect
>> the plug eth1 to one of the ports on the router.

> That would be good... especially if you could explain what kind of
> 'DSL modem' you've got and what stop you to connect it.

The outside connection to the dsl works fine. It actually supports dhcp
so all I have to do is plug it in and it's good to go. My question was,
how to setup the firewall and other stuff, so my server can share it's
connection with other computers on the network.

 - Bogdan

Quote:

> Davide

Setting up Net Gateway in Linux?

Post by sunil.mary.. » Tue, 12 Sep 2006 05:11:03

Hi,

First of all you need to enable IP Forwarding on Linux Box, below is
the Procedure

Turn on IP forwarding to allow Linux computer to act as a gateway or
router.
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
Default is 0. One can add firewall rules by using ipchains.
Another method is to alter the Linux kernel config file:
/etc/sysctl.conf Set the following value:

net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

See file /etc/sysconfig/network for storing this configuration.

FORWARD_IPV4=true

And now we come to firewall configuration, here is the link where a
sample configuration is mentioned which might help you configuring your
scenario

http://www.faqs.org/docs/linux_network/x-087-2-firewall.example.html

Thanks,
Sunil

> >> The router is WNR854T and it is the worst piece of shit I have ever
> >> owned :(

> > So why don't you return it and get a new one?

> I would, unfortunately the 30 day return period is up. I bought it
> before moving, and did not plug it in until 3 weeks later.

> >> Basically, it's very unstable and it crashes regularly. What I would
> >> like to do is connect the DSL modem directly to eth0 and then connect
> >> the plug eth1 to one of the ports on the router.

> > That would be good... especially if you could explain what kind of
> > 'DSL modem' you've got and what stop you to connect it.

> The outside connection to the dsl works fine. It actually supports dhcp
> so all I have to do is plug it in and it's good to go. My question was,
> how to setup the firewall and other stuff, so my server can share it's
> connection with other computers on the network.

>  - Bogdan

> > Davide

1. Gateway - Setting up Linux as a gateway server

Hi all,

I'm interested in setting up my linux box, on my network as a gateway
server, so that all of the other machines on my local network can access
the internet through it.  Can anyone offer any help for a novice to get
started.. or how to do it.  Like I said.. I'm only a novice, but still
any help would be GREATLY appreciated...

Can anyone help me?

Please reply to me via email if poss.

Cheers,
-Simon D

2. Dual Line 56K Modem driver for RH5.2?

3. Setting up a gateway to autodial the net

4. Mounting NextStep partitions

5. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

6. Firewall with more than one External interface

7. how to set up Internet gateway/how to set up two ethernet cards on Linux

8. Remote Admin

9. Setting up firewall for dial-ins: How?

10. Need Help on setting up getty for dial-ins

11. Setting up Ctrl-Alt-Ins = halt

12. Linux to net via Windows XP gateway

13. Linux box as gateway to Net for Win95 PC?