connect to work network behind linux firewall

connect to work network behind linux firewall

Post by Joseph Fo » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 00:24:06

Hello,

So I don't know much about linux, except that it rocks.  A friend of
mine set up our linux box so we could have 4 machines on the internet
through one cable modem.  Now I need to connect to my work's internal
network through a tunneling service, but I can't connect to it because
of the firewall.  We also can't start Quake2 servers for people
outside our internal network to connect to.  I am guessing that there
is someway for me to setup the linux box so I can do both.  I have
heard the terms IPMASQERADING (SP?), PORT FORWARDING, etc.  What
should I look into?

Thanks,
Joe

connect to work network behind linux firewall

Post by Dean Thompso » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 00:55:18

Hi!,

Quote:> So I don't know much about linux, except that it rocks.  A friend of
> mine set up our linux box so we could have 4 machines on the internet
> through one cable modem.  Now I need to connect to my work's internal
> network through a tunneling service, but I can't connect to it because
> of the firewall.  We also can't start Quake2 servers for people
> outside our internal network to connect to.  I am guessing that there
> is someway for me to setup the linux box so I can do both.  I have
> heard the terms IPMASQERADING (SP?), PORT FORWARDING, etc.  What
> should I look into?

For your work environment, you are most likely going to have to take a look at
VPN solutions, however it will really depend on what ports your firewall at
work has open to you.  If it is a tight firewall you might be severely limited
in what options are available to you.

As for QUAKE, you might also run into some problems there for outside sites,
it all depends on how your internal network is setup.  Most likely you will
need to setup port forwarding to allow external people to access your internal
Quake2 server.  As for IP Masquerading, it sounds like you have it running
already, if you can share machines with the one connection.

You might want to take a look at IPCHAINS-HOWTO to get more of an idea about
IP-Masquerading (http://www.linuxdoc.org), and possibly the web site:
http://ipmasq.cjb.net.  If you click on the applications page, it will
hopefully take you to a section which talks about Quake2 and the possible
ipmasqadm portfw commands which are needed to allow external hosts to reach
you.

Failing that, a quick search on google.com might also help you out.

See ya

Dean Thompson

1. FTP server behind linux firewall communicating w/ FTP behind linux firewall

I have a Windows-based FTP server (G6) behind a linux firewall box
running ipchain and ipmasqadm portfw rules to enable communication
with the out side world. I can connect to this server from the
outside, but PASV doesn't work. I have rules that allow ports above
1023 for the PASV traffic and I also had put the FTP server on a
haigher port other than 21.  I portfw'd the same port through to the
internal Windows machine running the ftp server as well as forwarding
the ftp-data. I have the ip_masq_ftp module loaded. I'm not sure why
PASV doesn't work.

Also, the other thing I'm trying to get working is communicating with
this same FTP server from a client within another linux-firewalled
(also using ipchains and portfw rules) LAN. I can connect, but can't
get any data transfers going, including directory listings, using
either PASV or regular FTP. I'm not sure if I should be forwarding
ftp-data to the internal machine running the ftp client.

What I ultimately want to do is be able to connect from a client
within on linux firewalled LAN to an ftp server inside another linux
firewalled LAN on a non-standard port and using PASV if possible. Any
help would be appreciated.

2. sco openserver dns questions

3. FreeBSD and natd - routing from behind firewall to behind firewall.

4. Why only 320 x200, dammit??! (fwd)

5. ipmasq'd webserver behind firewall: ipportfw only works for requests from external network

6. Process vs. IP-Adress

7. need a suggestion to a home network (wire or wireless) behind a Linux firewall

8. need app testers.

9. linux behind firewall on NT network?

10. ICUII working behind a linux firewall!

11. How to connect WinNT machine behind firewall direct to Internet

12. Why ICQ can connected to Internet even behind a firewall?

13. Can I connect to a nfs server built behind firewall?