Linux 2.4 and Multicast Tunneling

Post by Dave Bail » Wed, 04 Apr 2001 16:30:04

I am trying to figure out how to connect my machine to the MBone.
I am running the 2.4.2 kernel on a Red Hat 7.0 i686, and this is
where I am so far:

* My kernel supports multicasting and advanced routing:

CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST=y
CONFIG_IP_ADVANCED_ROUTER=y
CONFIG_IP_MROUTE=y

* My host responds to ping 224.0.0.1.  My gateway (a SDSL modem/router
  made by Netopia for Covad), however, does not, nor does it respond
  to ping 224.0.0.2.  Therefore, I believe I must set up a tunnel to
  a host on the MBone in order to receive multicast datagrams from the
  outside world.

* I have read http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Multicast-HOWTO.html

* I know about mrouted, have downloaded the Linux version from
  ftp://www.video.ja.net/mice/mrouted/Linux as instructed in the
  Multicast HOWTO, and have successfully compiled it after messing
  around with the #includes a bit.  But after looking at the HOWTO
  documents and my kernel configuration, I began to wonder if the
  functionality of mrouted had been partially or fully absorbed
  into the Linux kernel.

* I have read http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO.html
  Unfortunately, Section 7 (Multicast routing) says:

  "FIXME: Editor Vacancy! (somebody is working on it, though)"

This is what I would like to know before I go further with mrouted:

* Is mrouted superfluous if I have the 2.4 kernel or does it provide
  some capability (e.g. multicast tunneling through a virtual interface)
  that the kernel does not?

* Suppose I know the IP address of a nearby multicast router and would
  like to set up a tunnel from my machine to that router (a tunnel to
  the MBone), so that I may receive multicast datagrams in spite of the
  fact that intervening routers are ignorant of multicast routing protocols.
  Can I set up an interface to accomplish this task without having to
  run mrouted?  If so, how?

--
Dave Bailey

1. Multicast tunneling in 2.4

I am trying to set up a tunnel from my linux machine to the MBone.

My kernel (2.4.2) supports multicasting and advanced routing:

CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST=y
CONFIG_IP_ADVANCED_ROUTER=y
CONFIG_IP_MROUTE=y

I have read http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Multicast-HOWTO.html
and  http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO.html.
Unfortunately, Section 7 of the Advanced Routing HOWTO
(Multicast routing) says:

  "FIXME: Editor Vacancy! (somebody is working on it, though)"

Suppose I know the IP address of a nearby multicast router and would
like to set up a tunnel from my machine to that router (a tunnel to
the MBone), so that I may receive multicast datagrams in spite of the
fact that intervening routers are ignorant of multicast routing
protocols.  Is this possible with the 2.4.2 kernel?  I cannot find
documentation to this effect, but the existence of <linux/mroute.h>
(which contains some structs previously defined in mrouted) makes me
think that it is possible.

--
Dave Bailey

-

2. Reset messed up X

3. Configuring Multicast routing on Linux 2.4.x

4. how to format a Maxtor XT5000 USB Disk

5. Multicast tunneling with Linux, GRE and a Router

6. using tar

7. Hearing multicast in 2.6 vs. 2.4

8. nat

9. Multicast Message under kernel 2.4

10. unix socket latency regression from 2.4 to 2.5 (and multicast AF_UNIX benchmarks)

11. Multicast Message under kernel 2.4

12. About multicast and tunnel!

13. ip multicast&tunnel