Linksys Card

Post by Kengere Kibwag » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I have a Linksys EtherFast 10/100 LAN card that I have not been able to
configure for use on a Red Hat Linux 5.2 machine. Any help I get will be
greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Kengere

Linksys Card

Post by YouDontKnowWh » Tue, 29 Jun 1999 04:00:00

What is the problem you are having?  Do you have the Tulip driver
installed?

--
And now we return to our regularly scheduled,
uncommonly entertaining thread...

>I have a Linksys EtherFast 10/100 LAN card that I have not been able
>configure for use on a Red Hat Linux 5.2 machine. Any help I get will
be
>greatly appreciated.
>Thanks
>Kengere

Linksys Card

Post by Magua » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I own very same Ethernet card and had very same problem under RH 5.x
If this card is connected to hub I guess it blinks for a while and stop and
blinks again.

Here is what I did.

Download tulip driver from linksys.  The file is called tulip.c
Place this file into /usr/src/linux-xxxxx/drivers/net/ directory. (where
xxxxx are your kernel version)
Recompile kernel.  Make sure you add tulip driver in network setting.
Reboot RH.
That's it.  Your card should work. =)

Good luck

Quote:> I have a Linksys EtherFast 10/100 LAN card that I have not been able to
> configure for use on a Red Hat Linux 5.2 machine. Any help I get will be
> greatly appreciated.
> Thanks
> Kengere

Linksys Card

Post by John Stran » Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Here are some places to look for newer tulip drivers.
I am running rev 90.g

http://www.linksys.com/support/solution/nos/linux.htm

http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/index.html#fast

: I have a Linksys EtherFast 10/100 LAN card that I have not been able to
: configure for use on a Red Hat Linux 5.2 machine. Any help I get will be
: greatly appreciated.
: Thanks
: Kengere

--
While Alcatel may claim ownership of all my ideas (on or off the job),
Alcatel does not claim any responsibility for them. Warranty expired when u

Linksys Card

Post by Coredu » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>Here are some places to look for newer tulip drivers.
>I am running rev 90.g

>http://www.linksys.com/support/solution/nos/linux.htm

>http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/index.html#fast

>: I have a Linksys EtherFast 10/100 LAN card that I have not been able to
>: configure for use on a Red Hat Linux 5.2 machine. Any help I get will be
>: greatly appreciated.
>: Thanks
>: Kengere

I had the same problem. You MUST get the later driver, at least .90 .

Core

--

http://www.enteract.com/~coredump
Out of Gas on the Information Superhighway

Linksys Card

Post by JunkDTec » Mon, 12 Jul 1999 04:00:00

On Sat, 10 Jul 1999 01:25:59 GMT,  In comp.os.linux.networking,

> >Here are some places to look for newer tulip drivers.
> >I am running rev 90.g

> >http://www.linksys.com/support/solution/nos/linux.htm

> >http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/index.html#fast

> >: I have a Linksys EtherFast 10/100 LAN card that I have not been able to
> >: configure for use on a Red Hat Linux 5.2 machine. Any help I get will be
> >: greatly appreciated.
> >: Thanks
> >: Kengere

> I had the same problem. You MUST get the later driver, at least .90 .

> Core

I can't say why it works for me, I don't know of anything I've
done out of the ordinary.  Seems like I may have run modprobe
and/or maybe insmod.

I have 2 of the things in my stock RH5.2 system using the stock
Tulip v0.89H modules.  No compiling, nothing.  I'm kind of
peculiar that way, I like to keep things as stock as possible.

My system here at home is a HP Pavilion 6355 - 333 Celeron w/
onboard video and sound.

conf.modules contains  (pertaining to ethernet)
alias eth1 tulip
alias eth0 tulip

eth0 loads at 0xd000 IRQ3
eth1 loads at 0xd800 IRQ11

Now, when I got my cable modem, I thought why waste a 10/100 card
on a 10BaseT link.  I couldn't get a Linksys 10BaseT card to co-
exist with the 10/100, fought that for a week and gave up, wasted
a week for $5.  Threw in a second 10/100 and it flew the first
time.

Linksys Card

Post by Rod Smi » Mon, 12 Jul 1999 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

> On Sat, 10 Jul 1999 01:25:59 GMT,  In comp.os.linux.networking,

>> I had the same problem. You MUST get the later driver, at least .90 .

> I can't say why it works for me, I don't know of anything I've
> done out of the ordinary.  Seems like I may have run modprobe
> and/or maybe insmod.

> I have 2 of the things in my stock RH5.2 system using the stock
> Tulip v0.89H modules.  No compiling, nothing.  I'm kind of
> peculiar that way, I like to keep things as stock as possible.

First, there are at least two major versions of the Linksys LNE100TX.  One
uses the "genuine" DEC Tulip (21140, I believe) chipset.  This board works
fine with the older 0.89H driver that comes with kernels through 2.2.9 (at
least; I've not checked later kernels).  The second variety uses a PNIC
clone of the DEC Tulip.  This version may not work with that driver (my
card certainly doesn't).

Second, I've heard that PNIC-based Tulip clone boards do sometimes work
with the older Tulip drivers *IF* their firmware is of a certain
revision.  I don't know the details on this, but I've heard that some
people had problems with such boards with some firmware revisions but not
others.  It's possible that the Linksys is like this, but I've never
looked into it -- using a newer Linux driver is easy enough for me.

--
Rod Smith

http://www.channel1.com/users/rodsmith
NOTE: Remove the "uce" word from my address to mail me
Author of _Special Edition Using WordPerfect for Linux_, from Que;
see http://www.channel1.com/users/rodsmith/books.html

Linksys Card

Post by JunkDTec » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

On Sun, 11 Jul 1999 14:53:41 GMT,  In comp.os.linux.networking,

> [Posted and mailed]

> > On Sat, 10 Jul 1999 01:25:59 GMT,  In comp.os.linux.networking,

> >> I had the same problem. You MUST get the later driver, at least .90 .

> > I can't say why it works for me, I don't know of anything I've
> > done out of the ordinary.  Seems like I may have run modprobe
> > and/or maybe insmod.

> > I have 2 of the things in my stock RH5.2 system using the stock
> > Tulip v0.89H modules.  No compiling, nothing.  I'm kind of
> > peculiar that way, I like to keep things as stock as possible.

> First, there are at least two major versions of the Linksys LNE100TX.  One
> uses the "genuine" DEC Tulip (21140, I believe) chipset.  This board works
> fine with the older 0.89H driver that comes with kernels through 2.2.9 (at
> least; I've not checked later kernels).  The second variety uses a PNIC
> clone of the DEC Tulip.  This version may not work with that driver (my
> card certainly doesn't).

I have 2 of the "Linksys" stenciled chips in my Linux box here at
the house (later version of the PNIC chip).  I believe mine are
the later 82c169 chips, my dmesg reports 82c168 but I think I
checked them before I put them in.

I have several of the PNIC stenciled chips and at least one of
the DEC chips in some of my test machines at my office.

Quote:> Second, I've heard that PNIC-based Tulip clone boards do sometimes work
> with the older Tulip drivers *IF* their firmware is of a certain
> revision.  I don't know the details on this, but I've heard that some
> people had problems with such boards with some firmware revisions but not
> others.  It's possible that the Linksys is like this, but I've never
> looked into it -- using a newer Linux driver is easy enough for me.

There are 2 versions of the Linksys stenciled chips, one marked
82c168 and one marked 82c169.  Info can be found at :
http://www.linksys.com/scripts/dlc.asp - select 10/100 card in
the selection box.

The 8c168 chip seems to have a problem being redetected by Win98
and has a ROM update.

--
I read the groups I post to, no need to email me.